AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and starting my first real HT setup. I currently have a 5.1 Onkyo HTIB setup and looking to upgrade to a Klipsch/Pioneer setup.

I wanted to get your advice on configuring our den/family room. This will be a shared room for the adults and toddler. We watch movies, play games and listen to music in this room. The layout of the room is a large rectangle 23'L x 11'W x 7'H. This area will be split into a home theater area and play area.

The main seating area is 8.5' X 11'. I am looking at the following 5.1 or 5.1.2 setup to start. Atmos is nice to have but not sure if it will work well with the ceiling height.

• AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301
  • L/R: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250F
  • Center: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250C
  • Surround: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-150M
  • Atmos: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
  • SUB: Klipsch Reference R-110SW

Questions:
  • Is this configuration good for my room layout?
  • Is this a good setup for movies, music, and games?
  • Any safety concerns with a toddler? Do the floor standings tip over easily?

Thanks!
Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
looks like a solid choice,
klipsch go loud but have a reputation as a "bright" sound field

whats your budget?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently looking to stay below 3k. The loudspeakers price out around 2500 on Crutchfield plus another 600 for the AVR. I feel I can get it for less when a good sale kicks in.

I have a the Pro-Media 2.1 computer speakers and The Three from Klipsch. I am very happy with the performance and sound quality. From what I have been reading the Reference Premier are more balanced than the previous generation and the Pioneer AVR will allow for some good tweaking.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Have you considered getting bookshelf speakers instead of towers? Wall mounting some bookshelves would take care of toddler safety concerns where he/she can't stuff toys in the ports, poke your tweeters or knock them over. You'd also be able to allocate more of the budget towards a better sub or two.

Reactions: jcchiefsfan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering the PR-160Ms for my fronts. Do you know how the bookshelves compare to the RP-250s?
Would they have to go on a speaker stands to not block the ports?

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
I was considering the PR-160Ms for my fronts. Do you know how the bookshelves compare to the RP-250s?
Would they have to go on a speaker stands to not block the ports?
Towers are less tippy than stand mount speakers without question.

The RP Klipsch are an excellent choice and have been very well received compared to the inferior R series.

That sub is a nice music sub but not a Home Theater sub which should, ideally, play as loud at 20hz as at 30hz; the Klipsch sub will barely play below 30hz according to its specs.

I'd buy everything but the sub at Best Buy starting with just the two front speakers just in case you don't like the sound but I'm betting you will.

As you know returns are painless at Best Buy...plus they deal if you go back in to flesh out your system...they'll likely give you a package discount for the 5.0 system.

They have a price match guarantee for some period after purchase in case you suddenly see them cheaper at Best Buy or elsewhere.

For a sub I'd get this for $604 delivered.

For Home Theater you NEVER save money by buying a "music" sub instead of a true Home Theater sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sub is a nice music sub but not a Home Theater sub which should, ideally, play as loud at 20hz as at 30hz; the Klipsch sub will barely play below 30hz according to its specs.
Would there be any issues with mismatching the brands here? The Klipsch R-112SW as a frequency response 24Hz - 125Hz would that be a better option over the 10 inch?

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Would there be any issues with mismatching the brands here? The Klipsch R-112SW as a frequency response 24Hz - 125Hz would that be a better option over the 10 inch?
No, the sub is the one area where everyone on AVS agrees brand matching is of zero consequence.

I've never in 35 years had a sub who's brand matched my main speakers.

Deep bass doesn't have a "sound signature" like the front three do.

Even matching rear surrounds aren't all that important IMHO unless you play the now dead SACD music format.

24hz extension isn't bad but I'm guessing it plays a LOT lower at 24hz than even at 30hz while the HSU I linked actually plays louder at 20hz compared to 30hz.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all this info guys. Will definitely take this into account when making my package. I didn't think about the best buy route before. Maybe they can give me a better deal there.

As for the AVR the Pioneer Elite a good choice for these speakers? Is it neutral enough not to make the Klipsch speakers overly bright? From what I read you are able to do a 7.2 plus two Atmos heights with this AVR. Starting off I will be doing a 5.1.2 setup but I can alway upgrade to a 7.2.2 setup.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Thanks for all this info guys. Will definitely take this into account when making my package. I didn't think about the best buy route before. Maybe they can give me a better deal there.

As for the AVR the Pioneer Elite a good choice for these speakers? Is it neutral enough not to make the Klipsch speakers overly bright? From what I read you are able to do a 7.2 plus two Atmos heights with this AVR. Starting off I will be doing a 5.1.2 setup but I can alway upgrade to a 7.2.2 setup.
Certainly a very nice AVR with more than enough power for the very efficient Klipsch.

Not sure it has sub eq which this cheaper Denon does have.

I've used Denons for decades and they are very reliable and sound great.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-1...heater-receiver-black/4896006.p?skuId=4896006

·
Registered
9,947 Posts

From what I read that AVR can do 7 channels with rear surrounds OR 7 channels with 2 height/Atmos speakers but NOT 9 channels at once. You might want to download and read the manual if 9 channels is something you might want in the future. The rear surrounds IMO are not all that useful.

As for the speakers and sub, https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials is having a President's day sale in the outlet section. The prime speakers are well regarded as are the subs. A PB1000 for $429 delivered is a far better deal than the Klipsch subs you're looking at.

SVS has shipping both ways (in case you don't like them) included in the price and a 45 day trial period and outstanding customer support.

I think you could save some money and get a system as good or better, especially the sub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually one additional question. I do not see many reviews around the RP-250F floor standing speakers. Are they performant? Would I be happier with the RP-260F paired with the RP-250C?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good call on the RP line. Highly regarded and the 160 bookshelf gets great reviews. I would put the majority of your budget into a workhorse subwoofer!

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Actually one additional question. I do not see many reviews around the RP-250F floor standing speakers. Are they performant? Would I be happier with the RP-260F paired with the RP-250C?
The $250 difference buys you virtually no change in bass extension but you do get larger cabinets to house the larger pair of woofers.

Me, I'd put the $250 into a better center or better sub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The $250 difference buys you virtually no change in bass extension but you do get larger cabinets to house the larger pair of woofers.

Me, I'd put the $250 into a better center or better sub.

Cool, I'm a bit limited with my current furniture for a larger center. 1 inch too small to house the RP-440C :(
I'll push that extra cash towards the sub.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
23,679 Posts
You can get the Klipsch RP-160M from Crutchfield and pay just $10 flat rate to ship them back in case you don't like them.

I'd be extremely curious to read about a direct comparison between the RP-160 and the SVS Prime bookshelf (which has free return shipping). Whichever pair you prefer, you would THEN order the rest of the speakers after your decision.

You might well find that either might perfectly suffice as front L/R speakers with whatever subwoofer you went with. This would save you several hundred bucks that could be better spent elsewhere in your system, as Geoff noted.

·
Registered
23,679 Posts
I would also look at the Ascend CMT-340SE, which have high sensitivity so they are easy to drive especially given your large room and especially if you like louder volumes, and they sound great for both movies and music:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

If you really want the tower "look," you can get the OEM pedestal stands which can be filled with +100lbs of sand if you need to make them really child/pet-proof:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

3 x Ascend 340 LCR = $838 shipped

Next best value, if you're ok with plain black MDF cabinets, would be the Ascend 170 with a 340 center, at $618 shipped. Add about $45 for speaker stands.

I used to own the Ascend 340s in a huge open plan living room with 18 foot cathedral ceilings, and they never broke a sweat filling it with clean, clear, natural sound even when powered by a cheap $250 AVR. I've also auditioned the SVS Prime bookshelves, and would take any Ascend speaker over them in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and starting my first real HT setup. I currently have a 5.1 Onkyo HTIB setup and looking to upgrade to a Klipsch/Pioneer setup.

I wanted to get your advice on configuring our den/family room. This will be a shared room for the adults and toddler. We watch movies, play games and listen to music in this room. The layout of the room is a large rectangle 23'L x 11'W x 7'H. This area will be split into a home theater area and play area.

The main seating area is 8.5' X 11'. I am looking at the following 5.1 or 5.1.2 setup to start. Atmos is nice to have but not sure if it will work well with the ceiling height.

• AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX301
  • L/R: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250F
  • Center: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250C
  • Surround: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-150M
  • Atmos: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
  • SUB: Klipsch Reference R-110SW

Questions:
  • Is this configuration good for my room layout?
  • Is this a good setup for movies, music, and games?
  • Any safety concerns with a toddler? Do the floor standings tip over easily?

Thanks!
Drew
I have the same sub you have listed and it performs flawlessly with my RF-82II's , R-250C, & RS-52II surround speaker's. I would recommend that you get surround speaker's for the rear and you might look at a little better center as that is the weakest point in my system and will be upgrading this year along with adding another R-110SW to even out the bass in my room which is about the same size as yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 45 Posts