AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....so I cashed in my Sony Points for a new STRDG-1000 7.1 receiver with HDMI and I'm thinking "Hey.. give the wife a budget to buy new furniture, paint and do a bit of remodeling and maybe I can sneak in some bigger speakers...". Well, there is my problem... here I have this cool new PS3, a building library of blu-ray discs and most importantly Resistance: Fall of Man and I've got these Boston Micro 90 Speakers which sound good (relatively speaking) but they just don't seem like they're all "there" since I was forced to mount them so high (to keep them out of sight; see pics attached).

So, I'm looking at the Boston 442's (I tried for the 460's but was shot down) for the front mains and front center... Anyway, I am completely open to suggestions for this room so please look at the pics and let me know what I need to negotiate with; unfortunately looks are better than quality (quality goes in the basement with the media room and bar). Unfortunately the 1080P Samsung is upstairs and it just doesn't seem right to not upgrade the speakers with this new free 7.1 receiver.

The room is 14'-6" x 17' (including the bay window) and the ceiling height slopes up to 17'...

Cheers!

Jerz

·
Registered
975 Posts
I would have placed everything in the room 90 degrees to the right of where it is now, and then a solid pair of mains could ahve went to left and right of the fireplace with the plasma mounted above the fireplace.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem /forum/post/0

I would have placed everything in the room 90 degrees to the right of where it is now, and then a solid pair of mains could ahve went to left and right of the fireplace with the plasma mounted above the fireplace.

Well... we are fixin' to remodel so reconfiguration is not out of the question. I kind of think that the plasma is too high now (I'm planning on lowering it 6" and putting a 36" cabinet underneath (if we can find one having a deep enough interior depth)) so I'm thinking the lcd *might* be too high over the fireplace. But I do like the idea of the proper mains on either side (I could get some *real* speakers then).

Thanks,

Jerz

·
Registered
807 Posts
You need a stronger pimp hand my man!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know I didn't offer any speaker suggestions, but that position is just about impossible to work with.

I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
How about moving the plasma on a base in between where it is now, and the fireplace in the corner?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Perhaps an 3 in 1 unit may work and mount it below the tv. Something along the lines of these:

Polk SurroundBar: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...s/surroundbar/

Mirage UniTheater: http://miragespeakers.com/v2/product...bid=677&id=598

DefTech Mythos Solo: http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...able.html#solo

This would at least allow you to move the speakers lower and they may blend well with the looks of the TV. You may also want to try to move the surrounds to stands behind or next to the coutch if possible.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/0

You need a stronger pimp hand my man!

LMAO! I have the basement... but we'll get to that later. This is where I drink a beer, play with the ps3 and nod my head when she says something while she is cooking dinner (you know... "quality time").

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzatch /forum/post/0

You may also want to try to move the surrounds to stands behind or next to the coutch if possible.

... I was thinking about adding the 6th and 7th channel acually lower behind the sofa and pointing either straight up or out to either side of the bay window. I've never had the 7.1 so I'm not sure if that'll even do anything for me.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem /forum/post/0

I know I didn't offer any speaker suggestions, but that position is just about impossible to work with.

I hope things work out for you.

I appreciate it... I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions if I wasn't stumped myself. I actually though about getting the Bose acoustimass with 6.1 just because I can aim those down closer to ear level for this room...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife is also "looks first" "Qalitiy whats that"

She is pushing me to buy the Klipsch SXL (kinda out of my price range at the moment) They might be to long for you, but they might bleen in.

Also definitive tech has some speakers that are thin, went to a store today and they sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzatch /forum/post/0

Perhaps an 3 in 1 unit may work and mount it below the tv. Something along the lines of these:

Mirage UniTheater: http://miragespeakers.com/v2/product...bid=677&id=598

That Mirage Unitheater is actually looking pretty good... at least I'll have the sound down lower and when (if) she ever decides on a cabinet I can kind of mount that one almost total behind the cabinet since it points up....

Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz /forum/post/0

LMAO! I have the basement... but we'll get to that later. This is where I drink a beer, play with the ps3 and nod my head when she says something while she is cooking dinner (you know... "quality time").

Sad ... Men relegated to the basement and garage

My wife loves my speakers. My current mains (all DIY) I covered in a killer Bubinga veneer and applied a piano finish - she loves them. Bedroom speakers I applied an automotive Titanium metallic gloss paint, she loves them. Basement speakers are Piano Black, again wife approval.

Just act really really passionate about whatever speakers you want, pout when she shoots it down, then do something really nice for her. You'll get what you want. Trust me, she knows how to play the game!

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
I can't answer your question without mixing design and audio advice. Since your wife is a designer, she may take offense at my suggestions, but you asked so here goes . . .

The best-designed rooms I have seen mix classic and modern styles and elements. They don't go for one color or texture, or even one style. Your room, while nicely put together and very comfortable looking, strikes me as perhaps a bit too matchy-matchy and beige. I also think the painting you have over the fireplace is much to small for such a large open wall.

That being said, if it were me, I'd move the TV above the fireplace and then cover it with a much larger painting on tracks that I could just slide to the side when I wanted to watch TV. I'd win by getting a better TV position, and my wife would win by getting a room in which you don't see the TV unless it is in use.

I'd then put something modern and architectural, such as Gallo's 3.1 reference speakers, on either side of the fireplace. Again a win-win as I'd get better sound and I think my wife would end up with a more interesting room overall. There are a lot of very good sounding speakers in wood veneers, but I think your wife would object to most of them as they are not very interesting looking. I think the Gallos would get a lot of good comments and, from what I hear, they have good sound.

Those ideas failing, I'd do what hdmi4ever suggests. That worked for me and my wife has since commented that she can no longer listen to music at her friends' houses because their speakers generally suck compared to ours (which she did not originally see the point of buying).

Good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson /forum/post/0

Your room, while nicely put together and very comfortable looking, strikes me as perhaps a bit too matchy-matchy and beige. I also think the painting you have over the fireplace is much to small for such a large open wall.

Oh, you're exactly right... we just moved some stuff in there to kind of fill it in before we really bought anything... I'm not sure if you can notice but there are probably about ten different color patches painted on the wall... vases, plate, cups on fireplace mantle to look at differnt colors... the old CRT stand of the 27" TV that I gave to my brother a few years ago (this was in the basement and actually the 53" projections screen used to be in the plase of the plasma; covering the boxes on the wall)... yup... everything is pretty much going except maybe the wingbacks and the coffee table... New paint and everything; I'll be patching holes and whatnot too so I'm looking for the best alternative for this room for speakers (I know I'm not going to get anything stellar)... believe me this is not the intent of the look of the room; we're pretty much starting over so yes your input is awesome; thanks.

Edit: Oh, she is NOT a designer (just an architect)... may have misrepresented that... she had the designer she is working with over today actually, but if I don't get my stuff set up I may be designed out of the picture.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson /forum/post/0

I'd then put something modern and architectural, such as Gallo's 3.1 reference speakers, on either side of the fireplace. Again a win-win as I'd get better sound and I think my wife would end up with a more interesting room overall. There are a lot of very good sounding speakers in wood veneers, but I think your wife would object to most of them as they are not very interesting looking. I think the Gallos would get a lot of good comments and, from what I hear, they have good sound.

I'll second the Gallo's, they are different and always provoke notice!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I just realized you attached pics of the room ... I'd agree with Kal, you SOL as far as getting any 'real' speakers in that room.

I bet you could have some fun with it though. Like cutting out and finishing an area right below the display for your components. You could probably also mount a subwoofer into the wall under the stairs - the volume is likely adequate to model as an Inifinte Baffle. That would be a super cool install

There 'is' room for some ok speakers in the spots where you have those current sats. Like those current 'trendy' plasma speakers ... the long thin wall mount stuff. Far from ideal, but decent. And get them mounted lower than your current sats are. Just keep the tweeters at ear level.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.