AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

About the show:

Having recently lost his job and his girlfriend, 30-year-old Tom Chadwick has a rather unsure sense of his own identity. But when he inherits a mysterious box of belongings from a great aunt he never met, Tom starts investigating his lineage and uncovers a whole world of unusual stories and characters, acquiring a growing sense of who he and his real family are.

Written and created by Christopher Guest and Jim Piddock, the new comedy series FAMILY TREE is a single-camera, documentary-style show in the manner of Guest's acclaimed feature films (such as 'Best in Show,' 'Waiting for Guffman' and 'A Mighty Wind'). Chris O'Dowd ('Bridesmaids') stars as Tom Chadwick in the HBO presentation, along with Tom Bennett and Nina Conti. The series also features appearances by Carrie Aizley, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley, Jr., Maria Blasucci, Matt Griesser, Christopher Guest, Don Lake, Michael McKean, Lisa Palfrey, Jim Piddock, Kevin Pollak, Amy Seimetz, Meera Syal, Ashley Walters and Fred Willard.

For more information about 'Family Tree' please see the below websites.

Official via HBO.com
http://www.hbo.com/#/family-tree

IMDB.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2340036/

Here is a trailer

You can watch 'Family Tree' on HBO on Sundays starting Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM CST.

I'm looking forward to it. Has a lot of cool guest appearances and I like the lead, Chris O'Dowd.

See you guys there!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I've been watching O'Dowd in an britcom called The IT Crowd on Netflix--very funny guy. I also very much enjoy Guest's movies so I'm really looking forward to this show.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I've been seeing trailers for this on and off for months and keep forgetting when it's starting.

Does seem to have a good roster of comedy stalwarts making appearances and also the very funny UK ventriloquist Nina Conti (daughter of actor Tom Conti). Her comedy routine is good but I never knew she did any acting.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Yeah that was an odd one. Definitely more BBC2 than HBO in tone. I didn't like the mockumentary interviews. I'm tired of that trope now.

Slow to start but there were a couple of funny moments at the end. I enjoyed the dinosaur/Loch Ness conversation and the last scene with "Shut the f ... ront door" and "He's a Chinese Man." "Yes, hence the name Harry Chadwick." was surreally funny.

Nina Conti though; She just seems to be performing her comedy routine in a sketch show of her own.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1471552/family-tree-on-hbo-hd#post_23308972

Yeah that was an odd one. Definitely more BBC2 than HBO in tone. I didn't like the mockumentary interviews. I'm tired of that trope now.

Slow to start but there were a couple of funny moments at the end. I enjoyed the dinosaur/Loch Ness conversation and the last scene with "Shut the f ... ront door" and "He's a Chinese Man." "Yes, hence the name Harry Chadwick." was surreally funny.

Nina Conti though; She just seems to be performing her comedy routine in a sketch show of her own.

Definitely agree with you on that.

Interesting to see Nina Conti doing the same ole stuff. Would think she'd do something else since it's a new show.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
There are a couple of funny lines per episode ("Now you've got another reason to hate the French!") and I think the improvised dating scenes are funny, but overall I think this would have worked better as a movie. It's fairly slow and Nina Conti is just a superfluous interruption. Even though I enjoy her standup act I just think she gets in the way here.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1471552/family-tree-on-hbo-hd/0_100#post_23398725

After the last episode, I deleted it from my DVR.

Just too slooooooooow for me.
Same here, watched the first two, deleted the third without watching it along with the season pass.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I enjoyed the first two episodes, but I admit the 3rd one was disappointing. I don't care about how slow it is - I find that refreshing. Usually, Guest comedies are fresh, but in the 3rd episode they fell back on the usual tropes - clueless white guy tries to act and talk Jamaican, Conti just spewing filth. I'm still hopeful that future episodes are better. After all, every show has mediocre episodes amongst the good ones.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber  /t/1471552/family-tree-on-hbo-hd#post_23415834

I'm finding it ironically hilarious. Loved the whole lamb-castration premise and execution.

I particularly like Bea and Monkey.

My kind of humor.

I like the Bea and Monkey bits too. You gotta be a Christopher Guest fan ("This is Spinal Tap") to enjoy this show. I see that Fred Willard ("Best in Show") will appear in the next episode.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte  /t/1471552/family-tree-on-hbo-hd#post_23430625

This week's episode was very good. I enjoyed the Star Trek spoof. Luba had some funny bits, too.

I should have written: "I enjoyed the Star Trek/Sherlock Holmes mashup. The way Holmes and Trek are constantly being reimagined, it's not too far-fetched to believe that someone might actually attempt this."

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad  /t/1471552/family-tree-on-hbo-hd#post_23431438

I like the Bea and Monkey bits too. You gotta be a Christopher Guest fan ("This is Spinal Tap") to enjoy this show. I see that Fred Willard ("Best in Show") will appear in the next episode.

Did you notice she was driving w/ the monkey still on her hand? How does that work when you turn the wheel? Does Monkey assist?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts