AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile now I've been trying to copy VHS tapes using my Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card but during scene transitions(where my father turned the video camera off then on) there is a 50/50 chance it will screw up. It will continue to record to an mpeg file with full audio/sound but the image is frozen in the WinTV viewfinder during recording and the finished file will say a 2hr video is 8 seconds long.

I decided it must be the Hauppauge but I purchased a Toshiba D-KVR20KU to do direct dubbing. It will get to the same points my Hauppauge usually screwed up but instead of continuing to record with an off runtime it will say something about the program cannot be copied... I "think" the message said something about copy-protected but the tapes are just TDK T-120s. Something about scene transitions is screwing up copying process.

I'm stumped, any advice will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I've worked with several people with similar problems. It's apparently some combination of the original tape's time code being interrupted and the recorder seeing that as a STOP point or possibly even CP.

The remedy I suggested for them was to "stripe" their original virgin tape with black (lens cap on) to create a continuous time code before they shot anything, but you've now got a precious memory that prob. has those TC "gaps" or disruptions.

Other than trying other recorders to see which might ignore those gaps, a last chance alt. is to copy the original to another tape in one piece so the 2nd gen now has a continuous TC track... you could do a short test to see if the PQ is still good enough and doesn't stop in the recorder?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
This can be difficult to troubleshoot. Often camcorder tapes have issues when fed into PC-based encoding systems, standalone DVD recorders tend to be more hospitable. Then again, it has to be the "right" recorder: some older models and some of the very newest will react the way your PC did. Newer Toshibas are very trigger-happy with false copy protect reactions. If you can find a two year old Panasonic or Pioneer DVD/HDD unit, you would likely have the best shot at getting the tapes transferred. You'd also be able to "pre-edit" the gaps using the recorders hard drive before transferring to DVD for final authoring in your PC (you can also do simple authoring on the recorder).

Other options to look at, assuming they are available in your area at stores that allow returns, would be current Canadian Pioneers (460,560,660). I have never had a problem with modern (post-2006) Pios and various camcorder-sourced tapes. In the USA,these are not in stores, so you might want to try the Phillips 3576 at Wal*Mart or one of the Panasonic EZ series. They are not quite as glitch-resistant as the Pioneers but are far better than recent Sony, Toshiba, bargain brands, etc.

Finally, you could look into renting or buying an external time base corrector that connects between camcorder and PC (or DVD recorder). The two most popular models are AVT-8710 and DataVideo TBC-1000. These often, but not always, fix your type of problem by recreating a continuous sync signal that "papers over" the gaps coming off your tapes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought one of these DP-5000 Digital Copy Stabilizer/Enhancer at this site along with the hard drive dvd recorder.

I found some vhs if not most would come up with copy protection and then my tivos when I recorded to hard drive would do it alot with any show cable or tv.

I paid about $99 for it but works like a charm. Sometime when I cannot copy a dvd I use it between my portable dvd player and hard drive recorder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I could return the Toshiba for the more expensive JVC DRMV100B. That is the only other model they carry. I'll get the Pioneer DMR-EZ48VK off Amazon if Sam's Club gives me a full refund. (I'm trying not to spend more than $250)

Personally I would prefer a solution where I could go VCR to PC so I can create a HQ(9.6Mb/s+) MPEG I can the burn on to a dual layer DVD+R. If a time base corrector is the only solution then it looks way out of my price range. That DP-5000 is rather tempting... it looks like its just for copyright removal, I don't think that would fix the actual problem, would it?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Avoid the JVC, like most once-great brand names their current machines are "mystery meat" bargain specials.

If you for sure need the flexibility of PC encoding, you'll probably want the TBC if you can find an affordable one. Check eBay for the DataVideo TBC-100, which has the circuitry of their popular external TBC-1000 mounted on a PCI card for installation in your PC. Its usually much cheaper than the external models. Not long ago the external DataVideo TBC-1000 fetched ridiculous prices, but recently I noticed a dramatic drop in final auction prices on eBay, often below $200. If you snag one for $200, transfer all your tapes and then resell it. Even if you lose $20-30, its well worth it. The TBC-1000 is always in hot demand, its unlikely you would get back less than you paid for it.

You could also try the "video filters" such as DP-5000 or Sima Ct-200, but they aren't as specifically targeted to your issue as a TBC, and they all have a tendency to create weird color shifts and other issues. Since "filters" are frowned upon at retail, they must be bought online and are not always returnable if you don't like them. Tough call. Arguably the best "filter" is created by a member here who goes under the name "Logic Design". His filter is a bit pricey but probably has the least trouble with color casts and it can be set to preserve the 16:9 ratio of widescreen camcorder output.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't seem to find a DV TBC-1000 for a good price. There is only one used listing on eBay and that's a gamble as I'm not willing to go over $250. I think I'm going to take the plunge on a AVT-8710 however and sell it when I am done, a quick google search revealed a place nearby that sells it.

Thanks for the help! I was pulling my hair out over this. When I get everything set up I'll post my results.

PS: Do TBC's create video/audio sync delays?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Excalibur /forum/post/15530254

PS: Do TBC's create video/audio sync delays?

No, actually they help repair that kind of problem. In the process they fix a lot of other subtle things like control track gaps on camcorder tapes. The AVT-8710 is a very nice unit you should get good results with. It looks kinda chintzy next to the DataVideo but is just as effective. The only reason I typically suggest the DataVideo first is it tends to be more widely available. You would absolutely get a good resale price on the AVT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the first tape done with no problem, looks like the TBC did the trick.

With the AVT the brightness is a little too high(default) or too dark even after a minor adjustment. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me however. Looks like I'll record it darker and tweak it in some video editing software.

Thanks again for the help, it feels great to finally be able to preserve some family memories!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts