AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone bothered by the fan noise from their 8VSB tuner module? Also, in my case the fan stays on even when the receiver is switched off. I was wondering if this is the case for everyone else!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That's the way it is. It annoyed me enough that I removed the fan and the outer shell/cover from the 8VSB. I took the cover off to allow air flow into the 8VSB. I don't keep anything on top of the 6000. I have not had any sign of anything getting hot.

-Glenn

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The only time I hear mine is when everything is turned off, it is barely audible and in no way can it be heard with a movie playing.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
842 Posts
Carlos,

Dish will replace it? Even if you bought it online somewhere? Mine does get on my nerves a little.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schawla:
Is anyone bothered by the fan noise from their 8VSB tuner module? Also, in my case the fan stays on even when the receiver is switched off. I was wondering if this is the case for everyone else!

Thanks.
Schawla,

Is the module from a Dish Network 6000 receiver?, if yes, then Dish will exchange the module.

Good luck.

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by del:
Carlos,

Dish will replace it? Even if you bought it online somewhere? Mine does get on my nerves a little.
Del,

Dish is part of Echostar who is actually the manufacturer of the tuner, they replaced mine.

The told me that they sold over 20,000 of them, they know that a few are noisy.

Don't take "no" as their answer, ask for supervisors and the like.

Good luck

Carlos

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The noise is from the design not a bad fan. All fans make some noise when running. The thin outer shell amplifies the noise. I keep my PC's in a different room for the same reason.

-Glenn

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm on my third module. Two were replaced by Dish because of excessive fan noise. I measured the sound level on each using a Radio Shack meter at 72db (1 inch from the fan)! Either I've had a run of bad modules, or there is a design flaw.

If you do a search of this forum on "fan noise" you'll find some earlier experiments trying to reduce the noise.

I tried removing the cover & fan, but after 24 hours I noticed a subtle shifting of the colors on the tv. It's hard to explain, but I would see the flesh tones changing from tan to red to brown, back and forth. Thinking it might be heat related, I unplugged the unit for 24 hours to let it cool off. When I turned it back on, the color shifting was gone until the unit heated back up and the shifting began again. I put the fan back on and the color shifting stopped.

I've done two things which lowered the noise from 72db to 65db: I used duck tape to reinforce the flimsey tin on the module top and put rubber gromets between the fan and module case. I purchased the gromets from Radio Shack.

I've also looked for a replacement fan. There are several on the internet. That's my next experiment.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One thing I did with my PC was to install a large 6" fan on the top of the case. I then used a resistor to reduce the fan speed. This gave me better air flow than a small fan and a lot less noisy.

If removing the fan did not work, I was going to mount a large fan at reduced speed to the top of the 6000. But for me removing the fan and cover did the trick.

I also removed the bottom/side/rear cover assembly. I had to fabricate a little tab to hold the module in place on the rear using just one screw. The first time I took only the top cover off and had some heating problems.

I did not have any color shifting problems. I always watch using the component cables and the colors are excellent.

-Glenn

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I'm going to try to reduce the fan speed by using a resistor too. I noticed when I removed power to the unit and fan speed dropped, the noise level dropped also. Hopefully I can do this without causing heat related problems again.

Using a bigger fan is a great idea...Are you using any particular brand?

I too only use component cables and agree the color is usually excellent...except when the unit overheated because there was no fan. Perhaps if I removed all of the case as you did and not just the top, it might have kept it from overheating...I'll try that also...

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.