AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
then you probably are doing yourself a huge favor by doing that. I tried it a few days ago and the drone was too much for me. Then again, I have it in my living room, just a few feet from where I am watching. I had to turn the sound way up and it was very noticeable during quiet parts in the movie.

It was a big issue for me, because I can't build a box around it to quiet it. Try to get one to try at home before you buy.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Fan noise will be much more annoying on ceiling mode where fan kicks in high speed and has higher pitch noise. The table mode is not bad at all: it's actually quieter than my Sony VPL-CX1 which were both rated at 39 db. If you were ceiling mounting it then hushbox should be done. If table-mounting, then you should not need one. It sounds like a computer fan--noticeable on quiet scenes but not overbearing. On normal conversation scenes and of course action scenes, it's not noticeable. I sit in front of mine about 2 feet diagnoally away (mine is on a shelf hung off the rear wall in table-mount mode behind one end of the couch. We sit at the other end with me being closest to PJ). This PJ is not bothersome to my movie enjoyment but YMMV.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I recently measured fan noise as 62dB @ 2 ft when in ceiling mount mode. This is fairly loud, and sadly due to the geometry of my room, the PJ is directly overhead :( This was measured to the exhaust side of the PJ.

It does subside, with some attenuation from the MDF shelf it is currently placed on -- the hushbox will be here sometime next week I hope.

I can tell you that the attenuation is such that it is below the detectable level on the RS meter at my listening position, but still noticably loud.

So, you simply must do something for noise abatement.

I agree with Huey, it is quiter in desktop mode, but still unacceptably loud!

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.