AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I measured my fan and with the case it was 3.5 by 3.5. What does this translate to in mm?

Also, as a hardware newbie, just want to verify something. The fan and the power supply were the same unit. Is this normal? To change it, I should just unscrew the PS, and swap out the fan?

thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your measured 3.5", you should have a standard 80x80mm fan.

The power supply contains a fan, and that can be replaced.

Or you can add more fans to the case. Depends on what you are doing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just ordered the enermax manual speed 80mm fan.

The guy on the phone told me to be very careful, b/c the power supply could electrocute me if I touch it. Of course I will be very careful, but is this true? Scares me a little.

He also said I will have to drill a hole in the PS to have access to the manual settings wire. I don't want to do this. I could just set it once and forget it, right? If I need to adjust it, I could just open it up again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just installed the enermax fan into my HP pavillion. I did not put it into the power supply. I installed it where there was another fan. This was over the heat sink.

I do not know if I installed it correctly. Is the fan supposed to blow out, or suck in? Right now I have it blowing out. But I thought that if it is directly over the heat sink, it should be sucking in. which is correct?

also, now when I start up, it says:

ventilator fan failure: PC may overheat,

switch off PC and verify for connector.

I have checked, and it appears that the wire is connected properly. I know that the fan is spinning. I feel it blowing out air.

I went in to the bios and switched the settings, from monitor to ignore. It then started correctly. But I am not sure if this is dangerous for the PC. What should I do?

And lastly, (but not as important) I can't seem to figure out how to manually switch speeds. The connector thing doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It really matters. The only way to really tell if blowing out is more effective than sucking in is using a temperature monitor. In general though, you want balanced airflow into (usually from the front bottom of the case) and out of (usually from the upper back side of the case) your tower.

There's no way to manually switch speeds on the enermax fan when attached to the motherboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.