AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find a replacement for a GeForce 3 g/c? Mine has gotten so loud that I can hear it in my sleep! Due to circumstances, I can't return the card for replacement.

TIA

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my gf2 there are 2 plastic pins holding on the fan on the vid card. they are diagonal across the GPU and go though the PCB. If yours are like this check out the vid card/chipset fans at plycon

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I think there are plenty of sites where you can find a replacement cooler. Blue Orb is one popular product, But I'm pretty sure that is better for users who want more cooling performance and don't seem to mind the speed. There is another called "lasagna" which if you can find, is supposedly much quieter.

On my radeon, I replaced the heatsink, used arctic silver adhesive to attach a new one, and I'm hanging a 60mm fan next to it. The new heatsink isn't more than 3/8" tall, but is much better then the one that was on there. The arctic silver adhesive will do a much better job than the glob of glue that I found on there. And the 60mm fan will actually move air, and not produce much audible noise, since I have it connected at 6 volts. If you take one of thopse PCI slot covers and bend them straight, screw them in, and hang a fan on the end, you get a fully adjustable fan, hovering right over where the heatsink is.

I don't have a GF3. I understand that they require more cooling than most other cards, so my exact method may not apply to you. But, you might want to consider retro fitting something on your own, because noise doesn't seem to be the concern of most manufacturers. If you have room for a bigger fan, and can run it with a simple 7V connection then you'll be in business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.