AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Seems to me that the 9500 with the zalman attached might be the perfect solution for HTPC. I wonder if Sapphire is listening? Definitely on the right track.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"The card features Zalman’s ZM80 series VGA Heat Pipe Cooler."

So all this is is the Sapphire 9700 Pro with the Zalman cooler, saving you the pain of removing the heatsink and fan to install the cooler. Zalman now has the ZM80A which solves some of the ZM80 conflicts with motherboard layout and memory sticks.

With the interest in the 9500, I am sure that Sapphire is working on something. Since the 9500 is shorter than the 9700 it should make for even less motherboard problems.

So far only 1 search site show a source for the ZM80A.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found anorwegian dealer for the ZM80A-HP, It's not even that expensive! Sapphire better not put a high price-tag on the "Ultimate" just because it's got this cooler. :)

It says it's a new updated version, the old one didn't fit all cards.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tahustvedt
Here's some info on a new fanless ATI Radeon 9700 PRO:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...timate_review/

If the rumor of a difference in DVI signal-strength between the 9000 and 9500/9700 is true then this card might be the most attractive one for a HTPC IMO.

If only they would ditch the video-out and put a video-in there instead! :)

Tor Arne
Hi Tor:

I know that all the Zalman documentation mentions that the cooler occupies an other PCI slot, but doesn't your profile picture look like a slot is being occupied on both sides of the video card?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are no PCI-slots on the other side of the AGP-slot where the graphics card sits, except for maybe one of those useless AMR (?) modem-slots. The slot under the graphics card is rarely needed for desktop use, and certainly not needed for a HTPC which should have few expansion cards.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"The slot under the graphics card is rarely needed for desktop use"

And is usually a shared slot with the AGP slot, so has limited use anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htpc_madness
But where can I buy the fanless Sapphire Ati Radeon 9700 pro???

I couldn't find a single on line site selling this card.

Thanks

htpc_madness
It's not for sale yet. Give it a few weeks to get distributed, it shouldn't take too long.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only time I've used the nearby PCI-slot is when I had to fix the BIOS of my Geforce2 GTS. I stuck an old S3 Virge3D PCI in there and flashed the GeForce-BIOS while booting from the s3. :D

Tor Arne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.