AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Looking for a discrete GPU for my HTPC - not normally needed i know but for some reason my onboard grapcis with my i3-2100t keeps giving me the "failed and recovered" message causing my system to lock up frequently when surfing the web/watching movies (have tried several different versions of drivers to fix with no results). Bought a GT520 and the lock ups disappeared. However, i found the card ran a little loud for my taste so wanted to try a fanless gpu. Ordered the ZOTAC GT 430 but it wont fit in my case, Silverstone GD04 with an optic drive. So looking for another fanless alternative.

I bought the Gt430 based on alot of recommendations from this forum as well as this post on AnandTech. AnandTech also suggests the HD 6570 as an alternative (found here but have no familiarity with the manufacturer).

Was wondering if anyone had any other suggests for a fanless alternative to the GT430 or does the HD 6570 look okay? Not using madVR or LAV CUVID at the moment and dont see myself using it in the future unless i find a great need to. Also no gaming. Strictly HTPC uses for movies and music.

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

EDIT: Also seeing reviews for the HD 6450 . Just not sure about Radeon over Nvidia and cant find many Nvidia alternatives.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3. 185mm x 112mm (normal height) x 20mm (1-slot).

Perhaps those who recommend Zotac GT 430 fanless have never used it with a normal HTPC case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20765201

ASUS ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3. 185mm x 112mm (normal height) x 20mm (1-slot).

Perhaps those who recommend Zotac GT 430 fanless have never used it with a normal HTPC case.

Saw that one too ... but according to newegg its taller than the ZOTAC - doesnt look it in the pictures though ...

EDIT: Thanks saw ur edit with the height specifications after i had re-editted

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
BTW Zotac GT 430 fanless: 145mm x 127mm (15mm taller than the normal full height card) x 50mm (2-slot).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20765302

BTW Zotac GT 430 fanless: 145mm x 127mm (15mm taller than the normal full height card) x 50mm (2-slot).

Perfect thanks.

It wasnt the 2 slot that was getting me but that damned height. The cooler wraps over quite high.

As you said earlier, not sure how that fits in alot of HTPC cases.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm using a couple of ATI 5450's that work great for HTPC (one HIS, one MSI). Both are fanless, don't take up 2 slots and neither generates a lot of heat. Not for gaming, but more than adequate for HTPC. You can get a very good price on them also, especially if you don't mind rebates.

I'm still partial to ATI for HTPC type use as over the years they were always light years ahead of nVidia for features and connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.