AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I've got a thing for fans can CPU coolers, don't know why but I buy them and test them out and them end up putting them in a box.

Here is some of the better ones I've come across and thought I would share.

For CPU coolers I like the Thermaltake ISGC series with their fans and being lower profile for HTPC cases. If you're looking for just a simple stock upgrade that you aren't going to use to overclock, I prefer the ISGC-100 that doesn't require you to remove the motherboard. It may block the first DDR slot on Taller RAM only, but regular size ram don't need to worry.

If you're looking for more cooling power or LGA 1366 compatibility, then the ISGC-400 might be better for you but may block taller RAM.

At the end of the month, Thermaltake should have the updated coolers out with LGA 1156 socket compatibility.

As for Fans:

60mm

SilenX IXP-34-12 (1,700 rpm)

80mm

SilenX IXP-54-11 (1,400 rpm)

also I don't have one of these yet, but the IXP-54-14T looks interesting as it's got a thermal sensor that increases the rpm with heat from a low rpm to a high one.

If you've got room, the Silverstone FM83 is a 92mm fan that fits on a 80mm frame (but you need the room around it too). This one comes with a dial to adjust speed from almost silent to a windstorm, one of my favorites. I've teamed this up to my Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX chipset cooler and they work great together, but had to pick up zip ties as the ones that Thermalright sent me weren't long enough.

92mm

Scythe GentleTyphoon -12 (1700 rpm) (seems like it's actually less than 1,700rpm and the airflow isn't that strong, but it's quiet)

I've got a SilenX 92mm fan but it seems that when most fans go up in size they're supposed to be quieter, with the SilenX one it's noticeably louder so I don't recommend it.

120mm

Thermaltake ISGC Fan 12 (800-1,300 rpm with fan controller)

Scythe GentleTyphoon -13 (1,150 rpm)

If you've got the room there's also the Thermaltake Silent Wheel that's a 130mm fan in a 120mm fan frame.

If you're looking for a RAM cooler, I've got 2 Corsairs (the 3 40 x 25mm fan and the 2 60 x 20mm fan versions) and they're much louder than the Kingston one I recommend, called the HyperX KHX-FAN (with 2 60 x 15mm fans).

If you are looking for a video card that you can also play games with, I've read a review on the new Asus HD 4770 Formula has a pretty quiet fan and is the first HD 4770 card with native HDMI. I've got a Zalman VNF100 that I would like to try it on if I get the video card, but suspect that it might not be compatible with the new HD 4770.

As for power supplies, I recommend ones with a large fan (135mm is good, as some of the Cooler Master's have). I use my HTPC for more than just watching video so it's multiuse and needs more than just the basic power supply. I've got a little older model Cooler Master I'm extremely happy with, but the newer Cooler Master Silent Pro M (600w) seems like a good one.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify, none of the fans recommended are lighted except the Kingston HyperX RAM cooler. The SilenX 92mm fan I have that I don't recommend happens to be the blue LED version though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
IMO, ThermalFake sells overpriced, underperforming, garish crap that they stole from someone else. SilenX fans, while some are ok, are completely over-hyped and their dB specs are downright lies.

I'd stick with more reputable brands like Scythe, Thermalright, and Xigmatek for heatsinks (Arctic Cooling on the low-end) and Scythe, Nexus, and Noctua for fans.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoffma /forum/post/17026464

IMO, ThermalFake sells overpriced, underperforming, garish crap that they stole from someone else. SilenX fans, while some are ok, are completely over-hyped and their dB specs are downright lies.

I'd stick with more reputable brands like Scythe, Thermalright, and Xigmatek for heatsinks (Arctic Cooling on the low-end) and Scythe, Nexus, and Noctua for fans.

I was going to say the same thing. I think Thermaltake stuff is probably one of the least recommended brands when it comes to silent computing.

He also mentioned Zalman for the ATI card and Coolermaster, neither of which are highly regarded in the silent community.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only Zalman item I stated was the Zalman VNF100, don't see how that could make any noise.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...alman%20VNF100

Maybe it's time for a change towards Thermaltake? I've been buying their stuff and have been happy with it. The ISGC-400 has been getting very good reviews.

As for Cooler Master, their Power Supplies have been great for me and now I first go to them for power supplies, a certain person on these boards seems to recommend their CPU cooler highest also.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC /forum/post/17026793

The only Zalman item I stated was the Zalman VNF100, don't see how that could make any noise.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...alman%20VNF100

Maybe it's time for a change towards Thermaltake? I've been buying their stuff and have been happy with it. The ISGC-400 has been getting very good reviews.

As for Cooler Master, their Power Supplies have been great for me and now I first go to them for power supplies, a certain person on these boards seems to recommend their CPU cooler highest also.

In regard to the Zalman item, although it doesn't have a fan (which has always been one of Zalman's major weak points), I think there is still a price issue there.

You are talking about something ~40 after shipping, when you can find an arctic cooling model that's more efficient and a better cooler for ~25.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth /forum/post/17027067

In regard to the Zalman item, although it doesn't have a fan (which has always been one of Zalman's major weak points), I think there is still a price issue there.

You are talking about something ~40 after shipping, when you can find an arctic cooling model that's more efficient and a better cooler for ~25.

I don't know a single HTPC case that will fit the Arctic Cooling fanless VGA cooler, not really HTPC friendly. Plus the Zalman model is for if you want the heatsink on the back, does Arctic Cooling have one? Their's has the heatsink on the front and is way too tall.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalo...ath=2_&mID=105

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's something that someone might find interesting. If you're looking for a 70 x 15mm fan for a stock CPU cooler replacement. YS Tech several years ago came out with an innovative fan called a T.M.D. fan.
http://www.dansdata.com/tmdfan.htm

Initially it got good reviews, but there was a problem with some shorting and were recalled.

They came out with an announcement in 2005 for the T.M.D.2 fan, but that never materialized.
http://www.iemrepnw.com/images/tmd2-p1.jpg

If you want to try one out, there are refurbished CPU coolers available for $2.99 plus shipping that have these fans.

They come with a 3 speed switch, on the low setting it seems to put out the same or more air than a stock AMD CPU fan and it's as quiet or quieter than the stock fan at low speed. At medium and high speed, this got that turbo/jet engine whine. I'm not saying this fan is quiet, but if you think the stock fan is OK, then this might be a decent replacement.

Warning, this fan will not fit the stock AMD CPU coolers that have heatpipes like the one I got with my Athlon x2 7750 because the fan sides actually bow out to 74mm x 74mm, but the cheaper stock AMD CPU coolers (without heatpipes) I got with my Phenom II x3 720 and Phenom II x2 550 will fit. Note that this fan is a 3-pin, not a 4-pin fan.

http://www.thermaltakestore.com/tr2-22.html

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:

IMO, ThermalFake sells overpriced, underperforming, garish crap

In my case, and I have no idea the model number, the big blob of aluminum and what looks to be slightly bigger than an 80mm fan that came out of a Thermaltake box keeps my CPU cool and is enough quieter than my hardrives so you can't hear it. For the 10-20 bucks or whatever that I paid for it I felt it was worth the money.

Of course since I haven't been overclocking my stuff in years I'm no longer seeking that performance sweetspot I used to be after.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was looking to replace my stock visiontek 2600 Pro noisy fan with a passive cooler. The Zalman was just too overpriced for me, especially since the card itself was $30. I considered the AC Accelero models too but they were ginormous, but I did find this passive vga cooler by CM, Coolviva Z1 ( Linky ) It only costs $10 shipped. It also has an optional 80mm fan attachment point. I haven't received it yet but it should be compatible with most ATI cards. I'll throw up a small review when I get it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I use the standard antec fans at low speed that came with my fusion cases, regular and max.

The 180mm is a bit loud on the max but it is rite next to my head, the fans are whisper quiet though much quieter then the older fans that we used to put up with. I use a xigmatek 120mm heatsink on my max case and a skythe mini ninja passive on my fusion case. The mini ninja is cooled by the 2 120mm side fans of the fusion but no fans are directly on the heatsink.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Funny, I never thought of TT and Zalman as too overpriced. Anyway, the two best SUPER low-profile fanned coolers I've found are the TT MeORB (16db & 47mm high) and the Zalman VF2000LED (19db & 45mm high). The Zalman has several MBs that are incompatible, but the MeORB is much smaller and does not have many issues at all.

Take it for what it's worth.

BT

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:

imo, thermalfake sells overpriced, underperforming, garish crap that they stole from someone else. Silenx fans, while some are ok, are completely over-hyped and their db specs are downright lies.

I'd stick with more reputable brands like scythe, thermalright, and xigmatek for heatsinks (arctic cooling on the low-end) and scythe, nexus, and noctua for fans.

+1

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian /forum/post/17828326

I was looking to replace my stock visiontek 2600 Pro noisy fan with a passive cooler. The Zalman was just too overpriced for me, especially since the card itself was $30. I considered the AC Accelero models too but they were ginormous, but I did find this passive vga cooler by CM, Coolviva Z1 ( Linky ) It only costs $10 shipped. It also has an optional 80mm fan attachment point. I haven't received it yet but it should be compatible with most ATI cards. I'll throw up a small review when I get it.

So how did it work out for you? I also have a (probably the same) Visiontek 2600 Pro AGP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts