AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to substitute the two fans of this projector with similar ones more quite, but I don't know the specifications of the ones inside the unit. I also believe that the ones inside need replacement.

Can you Help me? I just need to know the air flow per hour...

The fans are:

Matsushita electric (I think now Panasonic)

Model FBP-08A12L

Can I use less air intake ones in order to reduce the noise?

I am thinking on buying PAPST ones:

PAPST 8412 N/2GL 19,4 CFM, 0.6W, 1500RPM, 12 DBA or

PAPST 8412 N/2GML 26,5 CFM, 0.9W, 2050RPM, 19DBA

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have substituded the fans in my 1030 with Power Fluid 9.8dB fans, an they are ALMOST dead silent. I have at a couple of occations forgot to switch the PJ off as I couldn't hear it!

The air flow is a bit less than the original, but the PJ runs quite cool.

Here is a link to a Danish site with the specs. (in english).

By the way: Try to locate some HD-144 lenses, the result is unbelievable!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kolby,

I was worried about air flow, because I don't know the specification about original fans. Are you saying that there is no arm in replacing with low nois, low RPM and off course much less air intake?

What's that about HD-144 lenses? Can I improve color quality with that?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes in my experience. if you don't put in a very hot space or somewhere with very little air circulation and you font have it on 24 hours a day, there should be no problems. I saw (can't remember where) somewhere on the net a guy who had measured the temp. totally without fans, and first after a couple of hours was the temperature higher (and only marginally so) than with the fans..

You can DRAMATICALLY improve color quality AND focus with HD-144 lenses - yes!

If yours are a standard 1030 it has TAC-II lenses which uses plastic instead of glass. Huge difference!

Koldby

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Tinman,

I have read your post earlier about those fans very cheap priced fans and low noise (9DBA).

The ones I saw here in Portugal cost 10 times more ~12€ but they are PAPST ones claiming 12 DBA, and 80,000 hours lifetime.

Do you think they worth it?

Kolby,

Where can I find those lenses and how much they cost?

·
Registered
223 Posts
By the way the Power Fluid is only marginally more expensive than the Pabst in Denmark.

About $20.

Koldby

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Guys, you may want to consider that most projectors won't last 80,000 hours when choosing a fan. I have so far had excellent results with the NMB's. I bought some just to try, and have been surprised by them despite the price.

I hear there's something new on the horizon from germany, however.

Marc

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Im a fan of the 1031Q. :)

OH wrong kind of "fan" LOL Oh I do have a set of original fans if you decide you need them. They have very low hours and work like a champ. I know you are lookign for quiet ones but if you cant, and I dont know why you wouldnt be able to let me know and Ill sell you the originals cheep.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just made the fan modification on my 1031q - wow! This is great!

I used the NMB $2.50 fans that Tinman recommended - very effective.

Hope it keeps it cool enough ;)

Pete

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It does.

Marc

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cool (excuse the pun). I didn't think of putting a temperature probe in there until after I'd replaced the fans - a comparison would require switching them again.

The only problem with the quiet fans is that I can now hear my noisy hard drive. A tweaker's work is never done.....

Thanks to all involved for the info in this thread!

Pete

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
you can also add a voltage regulator and just tune them down a bit ;) .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I installed the NMB fans today on my 1031Q. Wow! What a great difference! Barely audible. I don't think the airflow is as abundant as the stock fans, but it seems adequate. Now I need a quieter harddrive for the HTPC!

Dan

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
From my small temp. measurements, the fans serve two functions. First, they help the projector chassis heat up faster (projector on => air being heated; fans on => warm air circulated). Second, they also keep it a bit cooler as operation continues. From my measurements, the chassis (temp taken on lens block metal, just above the green tube) is only about 5 deg F cooler with fans. There are heatsinks galore inside these beasts. The chassis itself acts as a giant heatsink too with all the metal it's made of. I didn't measure the evenness of chassis temperature. That would be a cool measurement, though. Have one of those colored graphics showing temperature. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dare I say that I removed my fans 1 week ago (frame w/speakers & all) and I have noticed no operational difference.

I hope it's fine for 2-3 hrs for movies. I was going to re-install them each with their own micro toggle switch so that I could turn them on manually (I even bought the switches at Radio Shack the other day), but based on Mike's post above stating the slight temp difference, I may not.

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.