AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered a remarkable new set. It is the first consumer 34" 16:9 flat faced set that will do 480I,480P, 720P and 1080I as well as refresh up to 120Hz (depending on scan rate)and display computer scan rates up to 1024 x 768. It is made by Sampo and is called the SME-34WHD5. Tremendous performance, and retails for only $3499.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 11-14-2000).]

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This looks great. I have the Panasonic PT-56WXF95 right now, but I am moving into an apartment next year and my mother wants to keep the 56". She's loves the picture on it. She offered to buy it from me when the time comes if my apartment is too small for the 56". Is this set in stores yet? Where can I check it out?

Thanks,

Bob C

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
There is a review of this set on Etown's web site ( www.etown.com ). I believe that one set of YPbPr is for 480i only and the other set can accept 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

[This message has been edited by Jerry G (edited 11-15-2000).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Gary,

Can you give us a more in depth review? How does 1080i look on this set compared to the RCA 38" 16:9?

Thanks,

Vance

·
Registered
86 Posts
Has anyone heard of any 38" 16 x 9 direct view besides the Proscans. Don't want or need the Direct TV built-in decoder. Have Dish.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides e Town I have writen a far more an in-depth review that will appear in the next issue of The Perfect Vision.

The Princeton, an excellent unit, has a curved 30" screen, and 40 MHz video bandwidth. The Sampo has 34" flat and 75MHz bandwidth. The Sampo lists for $500 more than the Priceton now sells for.

Thomson will start to OEM the 38" tube to other set makers next year. Lowe (Sensory Science) and Zenith have showed prototypes. Neither will do 720P.

The Sampo should be in specialty stores by 12/1/00.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 11-15-2000).]

·
Registered
871 Posts
Gary,

Does the Sampo differ in specs, parts, or in any other way from the flat 34 widescreen they OEM for Net-TV?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Net TV is sold through commercial channels , not consumer. According to the factory specs the Sampo scans higher than Net 52KHz/46KHz. Top Refresh rate is higher 120Hz/90Hz ; no NTSC tuner included on Net TV . Last time I checked the Net TV retailed for $4999 vs $3499 for the Sampo. How's that for a difference?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Keep in mind you can get substantially better line doublers which are not built in if you really need them on a tube this small.

The front S video input is bizarre and ruins the esthetic of the set as most of us have some S video stuff to connect.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gary-

This set would be geat for apartment dwellers who sit about 6' to 8' from the screen, but it's just too small for the rest of us. What RPTV sets are you recommending these days?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Gary,

I noticed that when you tested this set for lines of resolution, you got 525. I also noticed that the guy who reviewed the Panasonic PT-56WXF95 gave it 480. Can I assume these numbers mean the same thing? Isn't 480 the maximum # of video lines in NTSC, the other lines are other "stuff"?

Thanks,

Bob C

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jay,

Yes, mpeg2 data is stored with discrete color information (not sure if it's component or RGB). Both RGB and component can transmit the color info discretely.

The max (vertical) resolution of 72kHz would be 600 pixels at 120 Hz progressive refresh. It should be able to do 1024 x 768 at 90 Hz refresh.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gary,

How does the Sampo compare to the Philips 34"? The Philips has been out a bit longer, but you've not said anything about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gary,

First let me thank you for your in-depth review of the Sampo.

Second I'd like to agree with Eric's implied comment that you (or e-town) should be doing similar reviews of the other direct-view 16:9 products, particularly the Philips 34-inch and 30-inch models and the Samsung that e-town recently mentioned in its rundown of the CEDIA (?) event last month.

Whatever happened to this product, by the way -- e-town reported it as having a lower projected list price than any of these other sets including the Sampo, but the promised follow-up never came -- so what was the quality like, and when will it become available?

Finally, and most important, is anyone planning a broad and deep comparison of all the current direct-view sets with real blind-AB comparisons of their pictures? Since direct comparison of two or three of these sets in the stores (about all a typical consumer can hope to encounter on his/her own) is nowhere near scientific, we are badly in need of a well-prepared comparative review that would include the Sony HD-1, the Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, RCA/Proscan, Philips, Daewoo, Sampo, Princeton, Loewe and Samsung direct-view 16:9 sets.

Oh, and thanks!!

-- Andy Marvick

·
Registered
246 Posts
maybe one could use this set with the Hi-pix card and run the s-video through the card???

What /i wonder is why nobody has a directtv rec with component outs???? isnt' the mpeg2 data encoded in component???

Maybe MSB could mod a Directv rec or a Tivo or DirecTivo to output component??

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.