Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggested by a post in another thread:

If you woke up tomorrow and found you had the power to cause the third Star Wars trilogy to be made with anyone besides GL directing, who would you pick and why??

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
OK, I'll have a bash... But I'd rather know who you would pick Fred, and why.

Serious-Answer: Michael Mann or John Carpenter.

Not-So-Serious-Answer: Star Wars needs more ponderous meditative shots of desert flowers and fungi so... Ang Lee.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
OK, I'll have a bash... But I'd rather know who you would pick Fred, and why.

Serious-Answer: Michael Mann or John Carpenter.

Not-So-Serious-Answer: Star Wars needs more ponderous meditative shots of desert flowers and fungi so... Ang Lee.
Ah, good point, I forgot to answer my own question... I'm going for -- Quentin!! Honestly, I'd give Ed Wood a shot, but could you imagine the smell. Star wars needs a hot injection of post=modern cynicism to be relevant again, like Scream or something. Tarantino could give that dialog a shot in the arm as well. Imagine C-3PO, Han Solo and Jabba the Hut in a 3-way standoff. And how great would the soundtrack be??

I have to admit, Michael Mann deserves serious thought. None of them have the SFX cred though. For that I think you need to go with John Waters. Too bad Divine isn't around anymore. She'd be great as Luke and Leah's daughter or something.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ridley Scott.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Fred,

The problem I have with all your choices is that they are very stylish directors who inject themsevels into their works. I want to see Star Wars, not Quentin Tarantino's Star Wars. However, if you do want a name diretor with a lot of stlye, there is one - and only one - choice. Kevin Smith.

However, what we want here is the next Peter Jackson. To find him (or her) we have to go back and see what Peter Jackson was doing before LOTR. He was making excellent movies in a completely different genre.

So my choice is Lee Unkrich. $5 says nobody knows who he is without looking. And when you do see who he is, you'll start asking why nobody has ever heard of him.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
David Lynch, who was the original choice to direct Ep VI, which he turned down to direct the larger-budget "Dune."

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Quote:
So my choice is Lee Unkrich. $5 says nobody knows who he is without looking.
You win. He sounds a bit like a racecar driver though. Is he that guy married to Ashley Judd? ;)
Quote:
Too bad Divine isn't around anymore. She'd be great as Luke and Leah's daughter or something.
Or Jabba's wife. Which brings up another interesting question... Who would you cast as the aging Luke Skywalker?

·
Registered
865 Posts
"Or Jabba's wife. Which brings up another interesting question... Who would you cast as the aging Luke Skywalker?"

How about Mark Hamil ( he is aging isnt he ?)

·
Registered
865 Posts
How about Tim burton to direct the next trillogy, That would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I went with Ed Wood. If, god forbid, it ever happened then it's gonna suck anyway, so it might as well excel at sucking.

Although Mr. Grim's choice es muy bueno!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Jan De Bont! KIDDING!

A lot depends on how the next Harry Potter will be, but Alfonso Cuaron might be able to put some wonder and storytelling back into it, and could definitely improve the human element, which is in a shambles in the current I & II.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but a good genre director like Sam Raimi or even Wes Craven or M. Night Shyamalan would be interesting choices as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
David Fincher

·
Registered
463 Posts
Aren't we missing the obvious????

Irvin Kershner, the man that directed Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
AKIRA KURASAWA? Ok, I know he's dead, but even then he'd still do pretty good.

·
Registered
27,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Segaboy
Aren't we missing the obvious????

Irvin Kershner, the man that directed Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back!!
Empire was an anomaly in Kershner's career. Look at the rest of the movies in his resume: Never Say Never Again, Robocop 2.... A lot of stinkers. Besides, the dude is 81 years old now. Leave him in the retirement home to rest.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spielberg is just too obvious, plus he's not going to devote a decade to this. Peter Jackson isn't going to work for the empire, either. But I imagine John Waters has some time on his calender- and don't forget, he'd probably keep the budget down to under $100 by shooting on super-8 and using cardboard sets. I'm leaning toward him more and more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.