AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FAQ has answered just about every question I've ever had concerning Plasma and I've read it many times and I applaud all those who have contributed to it, it is an invaluable resource of information that has given me a beginning towards my understanding of this technology.

I've also read so many threads that it is hard to remember what I've read, let alone trying to remember where I read it, so please bear with me.

My question is specifically for the PH-42PWD5UY that I ordered from Dell.

I'm using a Denon 3803 which allows for composite, s-video and component "Input" and only one "Output" to TV (Video Conversion)

I'm using the TW HD box, DVD player, and a VCR.

This quote is from the FAQ:

Quote:
Most plasma units will have one-each of the standard "analog" connections (RGBHV via VGA or BNC, component via 3xRCA or BNC, S-Video, composite and NTSC/PAL-based RF)
I currently own some overpriced component cables.

Do I need a BNC cable?

If so, should I purchase a BNC adapter or would it be better to purchase a cable with component on one end and BNC on the other?

The reason I ask is because I can't seem to find information on exactly what connections are on the rear of this set.

Also when I fire this baby up, before I do anything else what are the recommended starting points for contrast, picture etc. before I have a chance to calibrate it with AVIA/Video Essentials.

Thanks in advance

Harley

·
Registered
360 Posts
In theory a cable with a built-in BNC connector would perform better than one that requires a BNC adapter. However, the quality of the cable makes a difference. Another thread around here discusses some ongoing cable testing of mine. So far the two cables that required a BNC adapter performed better than the set with the built-in BNC connection.

Also, it is my guess that the quality of the BNC adapter can make a difference. I am not testing this theory - I just bought Monster BNC adapters rather than the Radio Shack version.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
For a starting point on contrast, just turn it down to about -15 to -20 right away. The rest of the settings are not all that bad by default. For analog cable I find about -17 brightness is good, but brightness is set to +3 for DVD viewing.

To be perfectly clear, the panel has BNC connectors for all video lines. So thats 5 for the component and 1 for the composite feed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Felgar,

I do not own a Panasonic, so I have no real clue on this. You mention five component inputs. I was under the impression that component input was a three wire affair. At least that is what the back of my DVD player deals with. Which device(s) has a five wire component output setup?

Thanks . . .

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh, thanks.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question that I could not find the answer to in the FAQ.

Are plasmas affected by unshielded speakers?

Harley

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
Another question that I could not find the answer to in the FAQ.

Are plasmas affected by unshielded speakers?

Harley
You are correct, that should be in the FAQ. The answer is no, it's not affected by magnetic fields.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i run my dvd player with component cables directly to the plasma and my other stuff with composite to the AV receiver and then composite to the plasma.

the PH-42PWD5UY is the commercial unit so it's no stand and BNC connections. i don't notice any signal loss with a BNC adapter for my composite input but others here (deann) said she noticed it.

speakers. i think it was covered. yeh, don't worry about it.

oh about the contrast, i used the factory setting for a while until i got an AVIA Home Theater calibration DVD.

PM me and I can point you to how to get the DVD really cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.