AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a FAQ, HOWTO, or Wiki for getting the best playback out of MythTV?

Watching LiveTV, I have picture and (sometimes) sound. Out of box, I was getting good still picture, but movement had lines (like horiz comb teeth) go across the screen. Setting interlace on removed the lines, but then I had bad stuttering. Blindly playing with the settings, I got ABC to coming good; but CBS was stuttering (both HD shows).

Video is nVidia 6150 using dvi to Sony Grand Wega at 720p.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
This is something that I'd love as well since what documentation there is on it is scattered all over the place. I'd love to know more info about the filters.

I use the following on my frontends for SDTV

Deinterlace- linearblend

filters- denoise3d

Standard XVMC

I can cut it fine with both enabled on even my weakest laptop frontend (P4M 2.4/Ati 7500go)

For HDTV, there isn't much I can do. The laptop can't even hang with HDTV. On my desktop frontend (p4 3.4, Nvidia 7950) I can barely get away with kernel deint but can't do any filters.

My Livetv and usual recording profile is 4000/8000kbps and then recordings go to a custom job to cut all commercials and transcode to mpeg4 @2200kbps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've wished the same thing. But what I've found is that there are just so many variables to getting a good picture. Processor, video card, video card driver version, etc. I have a backend/frontend AMD system and a P4 Intel frontend only and things that worked on one to get a good picture didn't necessarily work on the other. For example, on the Frontend only, when I was using an earlier version of the nvidia driver, the tv output would only come up once it had loaded X. On the 9746 driver, I get a tv output as soon as the computer is turned on., so I get to monitor the whole boot process.

One thing I have found is that there can be significant differences in picture quality depending on which version of the Nvidia driver you use. I've had some that output a lousy picture w/ stuttering, etc and switched to a different version that was much better. But it seems to all depend on what hardware you are using. Personally I've had better luck with the later Nvidia drivers. Presently using 9746, which has worked well with both the 6600GT and 6200TC cards From my experience it seems that while some versions of the Nvidia drivers "fix" something, it may also break something else. You have to try several versions and see which works best with your hardware.

I had a situation where the backend/frontend played all my HD channels fine, but the frontend only machine stuttered on two channels, I went round and round trying to figure that out, turns out that for some reason the nvidia driver I was using would cause the xorg process to peg the processor at 100% when watching those two channels in LiveTV on the remote frontend. Switched to the newer driver and that problem disappeared and I have stutter-free performance on all HD channels now.

As I've found out over the past 6 months setting up my Myth system, it's a lot of trial an error.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.