AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have a sticky here with links to basic info. I have been an active member here for some time and have learned all I know from reading and posting (still got lots to learn). As with any subject matter and forums, new folks want answers to their questions and want them fast. Noting wrong with that, but a sticky with links to threads that address the basics as well as the advanced would be helpful to those so inclined to spend the time educating themselves. I would be happy to work on this if I can get a thread that is a sticky with limited access to the world. Folks that have ideas for link/questions/answers etc could email or PM me rather than posting in a long winding thread. I guess this thread could be a discussion thread prior to starting since the moderators would need to set up a stick I have access to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a lot to learn and lots of good threads to read but to find them takes lots of time. This is why I was kind of interested in building something for new folks that don't want to spend months of time reading everything ever posted. However, it doesn't look as if anyone is all that interested. I am no expert, I was going to post links that had good info and figured others would suggest links to threads that were educational.

I posted a few links in another thread, you can access the post I made directly here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19645400

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I like the idea for this. I sure could have used it for researching screens.

I wish there was a thread on screens that listed all the manufacturers and their price points. I understand that you can't do price discussion but it would be great to have a general idea.

I spent an afternoon researching screens and found one with a masking system that I was definately interested in. I scoured the forum for threads but could find no one talking even generally about price. I sent the company an e-mail and continued researching for several days. I did not hear back from them so I called them yesterday. I asked for pricing on several screen sizes. The gentleman asked me what type of projector I used. I told him - he chuckled and said " You do realize that these screens start at $20,000 and go up".

How am I supposed to know that
? You cannot find anything referring to price anywhere. So I spent an afternoon researching a screen that I could not possibly afford. What a waste. Very frustrating.

A sticky with screen companies listed would be nice. Grouping them into price ranges would be even better.I can do the research from there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes
There is a lot to learn and lots of good threads to read but to find them takes lots of time. This is why I was kind of interested in building something for new folks that don't want to spend months of time reading everything ever posted. However, it doesn't look as if anyone is all that interested. I am no expert, I was going to post links that had good info and figured others would suggest links to threads that were educational.

I posted a few links in another thread, you can access the post I made directly here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19645400
Not far off on the "months" comment either. I've been going to post a few questions about screens every day for a week now, but each time I sit down to "really do it" I think I should read a little more, so I don't just ask questions that have already been asked.

Some things never change, and could easily be included in a sticky instead of requiring people (with poor memories?) to do what I'm doing - keep a Word document open and cut and paste into it anything I run across that seems necessary or interesting.

I didn't really need to spend a week plodding through posts and links to figure out:

- throw range (as it relates to: how large a screen can I use with, say, max. avail. throw of 15')

- gain

- retro reflective

- angular reflective

- how gain changes at screen edges

- SCREEN MATERIALS - where the heck does one start with that? I've been reading for a week and all I know is some mfr's have two or three options and others have six or eight. Usually mfr's websites don't even explain under what conditions each material might be appropriate.

- advantages of curved screen (does it really look better because the light at the screen edges is being reflected nearer the viewer than when using a flat screen? - sounds reasonable to me)

- Curved screen considerations - like, if 2.35 screen, what you need to properly watch 16:9 content... what are pincushioning and barreling anyway? "Must" you utilize an anamorphic lens when using a curved screen - what (bad) will happen if you just zoom, does it happen with both 16:9 content and 2.35 content? and can you minimize this if your screen is not too large (wide)?

- Problems/considerations when thinking of CIH 2.35 screen

- Contrast at the edges? Why/when might it be different than when at the center? What can I do about it, or how can I minimize problem?

- What is anamorphic lens anyway, why necessary, when do you "need" one?

- Ambient light, wall and ceiling colors (reflectivity too), why is it a consideration, what can/must one do if light control is difficult.

- Vertical viewing angle - is 15 degrees from eye to top of screen really the max that is comfortable?

- Bottom of screen - is there some location below which back row viewers find the screen/image fatiguing? (Like maybe, at least half the screen should be above eye level?)

- Seating distances vs min/max screen sizes - closest seats max. 36 degree viewing angle with 16:9 image? Min. of 26 degrees?

- How do I determine whether moving my projector a few feet further back will require me to purchase a screen with a higher gain?

Probably some more topics could be covered, and some might be useful instead or in addition in the CIH 2.35 section. However, I do believe what took me a week to still not understand might have been mostly understood in an hour or so, if all the "basic" and mostly unchanging info were all in one place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlikealight
I like the idea for this. I sure could have used it for researching screens.

I wish there was a thread on screens that listed all the manufacturers and their price points. I understand that you can't do price discussion but it would be great to have a general idea.
And YEAH!

Even if you just gave just a few manufacturers and screen surface types (with explanation why?) for budget, mid-range, and superior screens for:

- Room with ambient light during the day, do the best in the day and better at night

- Room with light control, but needs to be used some with lights on

- Downstairs room with 99% light control, must be great for 2.35 and good or great for widescreen television viewing.

Yesterday my wife asked why I didn't just go by one of the four or five high-end stereo/home theatre shops here in town; I told her I didn't want to waste their time if I knew I was going to purchase a used (or b-stock) projector and (maybe) mail order my screen. I'm thinking now I should maybe talk to some of them and purchase the screen from them and save myself some major time.

Learning on forums is supposed to be fun - the joy of searching and learning is lessened when one feels they have spent two or three (or ten) times the amount of reasonable/available time, without getting any closure!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think a FAQ would be a great idea. I would even be willing to contribute to some of the writing. As a suggestion, I think it would be best to start just gathering questions into a comprehensive list before getting bogged down in the minutia of answering each question.

Here are some candidates I can think of (related to some of what was already suggested, but worded differently):

Q: What is gain, and why do I care?

Q: I want a really *HUGE* screen, can I make this screen work in my room? (answer will discuss the advantages of a smaller screen since most Nobie's make the mistake of going too large for their first screen)

Q: What are the trade-offs between a white wall, a manual pull-down screen, a powered pull-down screen, and a fixed screen?

Q: How do I figure out where my screen, seats, and projector should be located? (link to theater room calculator)

Q: What are the trade-offs between an AT screen and a non-AT screen?

Q: How important is masking material?

Q: How important is the color of my carpet / walls? (I don't know if this question goes in this FAQ, but I'm just brainstorming)

Q: I want to be able to have some lights on while I watch movies; does this affect which screen I need to buy?

--Mark

·
Registered
192 Posts
Q: Why is there such a large price difference between pull-down screens and fixed screens? Is the screen material in a pull-down screen inferior to a fixed screen?

Q: I'm a handy-person; can I buy a pull-down screen, cut the material out of it, and mount it on my own frame to save some money?

Q: I used the XYZ screen gain calculator and found out that screen X will be 1% brighter than screen Y, but screen X costs 2X more. Is the difference worth it? [answer really should be more about the limited accuracy of these kinds of calculators, and not to get worked up about minor differences]

Q: I'm going to buy projector XYZ and I want a 25 foot screen; will it be bright enough? [answer points to calculators for computing ft-lamberts, and talks about other considerations like bulb aging and projector iris. Gives basic advice on what values to put into the calculators (i.e., don't assume the projector will be as bright as the manufacturer says it will be).]

Q: What is all of the controversy over the high-power screen about? Did I miss the guy passing around the Kool-Aid? [ok, this one is a joke, but we should probably work in some rational discussion of the advantage / disadvantage of the high-power material. Disclaimer, I have a high-power.]

--Mark

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
An updatable list of available commercial screens with their primary attributes would also be nice. For example, who makes gray screens, AT, high gain, light scatter, fixed, electric, maskable, etc.

NOT who sells them, and perhaps it is just pointers to the official threads. I would guess this is a different thread from the FAQ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts