AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eyes are about to bleed. I am interested in building a HTPC. I do believe in due dilligence. I know how to use the search feature. And while helpful, I have found the amount of information on this and similar boards overwhelming. I have read the posts regarding but still don't understand why there isn't a FAQ thread for this forum. I realize that maintaining a FAQ with hardware and software/drivers changing so quickly would be time consuming but I also see that some of the more experienced HTPC folks have 4or5 posts per day average. I would love to see a matrix of hardware and software options. Or a hardware/software flow chart. Or how about "locking" some of XCEL's "best in class" threads to the top of the board. I see two Theatretek threads locked there but they seem to apply to those who currently have HTPCs and would like to increase performance and functionality not to those who are new to the hobby. Just some thoughts. I've found this board very informative and look forward to learning more. In an attempt to contribute and not just criticize, here are a few threads that I have found helpful in blueprinting my new HTPC.

AVS HTPCs
HTPC FAQ
Buyer's Guide: HTPC for Newbies
HTPC Meta FAQ v0.6d
Geforce 3 AGP and Radeon PCI in one HTPC/Win98se
Best in class search result

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
If I look at xcel's best in class, and other posts, I just awe at the amount of time and effort that goes into something like that. I can't imagine ever being able to back up my suggestions for every piece of hardware and software within an HTPC.

Importantly, the fact is that xcel would have to revise one of those things every week to keep them current. It takes that long just to read all the reviews of hardware on the web.

Issues with keeping an FAQ up at the top have been brought up before.

If we accept the current situation we also realize that taking other people's advice on a forum can be very tricky. The search function could get you into trouble, but even the finest hardware guide could end up guiding someone in the wrong directiion given their particular situation.

In the meantime, use the search function as much as you can bear, and if you get stumped post a question. If it goes to the second page with no notice then bump it one more time.

If a new member thinks that the number his/her thread has been viewed is of any use, think again. We've had references to that hear recently and the truth is that nobody knows if they can answer your question until they look at it.

I only have enough free time to make all of my paragraphs start with the letter 'I', hardly enough time to write an entire FAQ.

Interesting links. If you missed any of the ones below here they are....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but I still think it would be helpful to have a more defined starting point for those new to HTPC. My last attempt was 3 or 4 years ago on a cutting edge PII/266/64 with an AIW/8MB. That involved seating a new video card, installing drivers and ATI software, and plugging svideo into tv. Things have changed alot since then. You are right in saying that nobody knows if they can answer my question until I post it - but I also know that every question so far that I have had someone else has already asked. Finding those questions/answers would have taken much less time if I had a base to start from. My past headaches with ATI driver support soured my opinion on the idea of HTPC. Since then I've bought a Mits with a RGBHV input so I thought I'd take a look into it. That aside, I will keep reading and absorb as much as I can. Hmcgrath, gotta love that subject line....

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Try doing a search for xp? haven't figured that one out yet.

Its very irritating to own a new OS that you can't search for.:(

That was the same issue with Windows ME, but I feel the need to seek help with XP more because it is definitely unique from ME.

So who is going to write the new FAQ?

:eek: :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.