AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out!

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Yep , Very impressive demo !!!

--- Jason

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Can it do 1280x720 widescreen?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Ok, when it starts for the first time, it boots at 1024x768. This can be changed by editing one of the config files (I forget which one, but it was easy to find). The ingame video options has a LOT of resolutions, though I didn't look for 1280x720 since I don't use that rez. But, it did have 856x480 and 1920x1080 which I use, so I bet it does offer 1280x720. Once you have either edited the config file or changed resolutions via the ingame video options, it boots to that rez from then on out.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
 www.pcgameworld.com

I always use them. They don't have the files onsite as quickly as others do, usually the next day, but they have links to very fast servers and you don't even have to register with them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
it would sound good in the Dolby Digital stream if there weren't audio bugs a plenty.

Graphically it's gorgeous, a little rough in some places, but purty overall. It will be very interesting to see how it pans out though, I'm still iffy on the game on the whole.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This game won't load on either of my PCs. I crash and get an error about video card drivers. Do I need better that a Radeon 9000 or 9200? This has never happened with about a 100 other demos.

·
Registered
372 Posts
 FarCry site

SYSTEM REQUIRMENTS:

Minimum:

Computer: 1 GHz CPU

Memory: 256 MB RAM

Operating System: Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP

Video Card: Geforce 4 MX, Geforce 3 or higher

Drive Space: 582Mb hard drive space

DirectX 9.0b must be installed

Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03

ATI based cards must have: Catalyst drivers 3.9

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Here is a little tip if you aren't using Cats 3.9. I'm using Cats 4.1 and was having MAJOR graphic glitches (couldn't even play it was so bad). Start the game with everything on LOW. After you start playing a little, exit out (ESC) and then change your graphic settings to whatever. When you hit 'Apply" it will tell you that you need to restart the game. Just click 'OK' but don't restart, just continue playing or load a saved game and it works just fine.

This game uses a LOT of Ram, I'm having a little problem even with 512MB. Make sure to shut down everything running in the background. Gonna grab another 512MB stick next week.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hmmm...

PCgameworld list this as the requirements:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

2GHz CPU, 512MB RAM

GeForce 3 or better, DX9.0b

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Nvidia based cards must have : ForceWare drivers 53.03
I'm out, those drivers suck. I don't know what's up with nvidia and ati and their latest few rounds of drivers. I'm still using Detonator 4x.xx drivers.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
Hmmm...

PCgameworld list this as the requirements:

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

2GHz CPU, 512MB RAM

GeForce 3 or better, DX9.0b
Trust me, after playing the demo, pcgameworld's requirements are a lot closer than what ubi listed. Unless you plan on using this game for a screensaver.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I got it to run after downloading the latest driver and turning down the settings to low. I have a P2.67 and a gig of RAM, so I guess my weak link is the video card.

Can you guys recommend whether I should get the Radeon 9600 pro or the 9800 pro? I don't mind spending the money for the more expensive card if there is a noticeable difference in performance.

This game reminded me of the E3 Half-Life 2 demo. The water is beautiful and the open ended game play is brilliant. I predict that this game will sell a lot of video cards!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Have you jumped in the water yet? A lot of cool tropical fish in there that actually have stripes like the real ones I saw at Bora Bora on my honeymoon.:D

By the way the game does have 1280x720 on the menu. My game originally defaulted to 1024x768. Did not see a way to force it to 1280x720 or other resolutions right off the bat (cfg/ini) but it switched over and had the correct aspect.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Edit systemcfg.lua if you want to start the game for the first time in another resolution.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.