AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to the forum even though I have been browsing the site for a number of months. I have enjoyed reading some great theater build threads recently that have provided me with a better understanding for my first HT build, but I would still appreciate any feedback or comments from more experienced users.

I live in the most easterly city in North America (i.e. Far East), St. John's , Newfoundland with my wife and three kids. Our 13 year old son has outgrown his younger siblings' interests and we have decided to develop our 1550 ft2 unfinished basement to accomodate a home theater room, games area, washroom and fifth bedroom.

I was limited in my choice of space for the theater room due to the use of four jack posts throughout the main open spaces, but finally chose a 25 X 13 area with the option, if needed, to extend the length, but I would like to stick with the 25 foot mark as it will mean not taking space from the games area. The ceiling is 7'9" for the first 16 feet and then increases to 8'10" for the final nine feet. The final nine feet will incorporate a riser for a second row of seating.

Our plan is to place a 10' X 7' La-Z-Boy sectional on the riser, as it provides cozy seating for 4 or 5 people, and then place a leather sofa in the front row. The biggest unknown to me is the projector and screen placement as well as screen size, but more on that in a later post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Epson 8350 Projector *

Sony PS3 Gaming Console - Blue Ray Player *

Toshiba 46HMX85 DLP Television

Yamaha RX-V550 AV Receiver

Xbox 360 Gaming Console

Nintendo Wii Gaming Console

Bell Expressvu 9242 Dual Tuner PVR

Sony DVP-NS575P DVD Player

Athena Audition Series Speakers (AS-F2 / AS-C1 / AS-B2 / AS-R1 / AS-P4000)

Based on my budget, user reviews and availability in my location, I have decided to purchase the Epson 8350 projector when it arrives here in late December.

The "kids" are getting a new PS3 for Christmas

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,152 Posts
Looks like a great project. One thing I noticed looking at the plan is the seating plan and the viewing distances to the screen. I am not a fan of a sectional for the second row as the people sitting along the side section really aren't offered a comfortable position for a two hour movie. Also with the sectional tucked against the back wall the rear channels of a 7.1 system will be a weakness in this design for those sitting below.

Of greater concern is the seating distance to the screen wall. It looks (estimate) like you are planning 16 and 23 ft viewing distances. You could design a room in that space with 12 and 18.5 viewing. What were your thoughts on screen format and size?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the comments as they are much appreciated. The sectional piece against the wall is actually wide enough for two adults to lie side by side in the direction of the screen. When we bought the sectional, our main requirements was that it was large and that it was comfortable.

Attachment 193350

It is currently in the exact same position in the family room directly above the theater room. We watch a 46" screen from about 5 feet closer and it's large enough for the wife and I to lie out comfortably and plenty of space for the three kids and dog to curl up all facing the screen.

Attachment 193351

For the screen, I have been playing with the calculator on the Epson website, but am not happy with the numbers that are returned. I have set the ceiling height to 7'8" with both a 120" and 130" screen, but the projector would have to be suspended between 3-4 feet from the ceiling which is not possible. I'm wondering if I'm using the calculator correctly or if i need to go with a table mounted projector.

Attachment 193352

For a 25 X 13 room, what would a good screen size and mount position be? We could definitely go with the 12 & 18.5 viewing distance, but I wasn't sure if that would be too close...

BIGMouthinDC... I just looked through your build thread and you room is absolutely amazing. I can only dream of something like that. We are hoping that ours will be a comfortable & cozy place to share some quality time with the family.

Thank you,

Jeff

projector_120.pdf 499.6259765625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Something's not right, that Epson projector has enough vertical lens shift where you should be able to ceiling mount it no problem.

Also I agree with Big regarding the seating distances, move the sectional away from the back wall. Your lucky that you've got a lot of length to work with.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,152 Posts
Jeff you are not reading the mounting information correctly. You can install the projector as Radar mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03eunos /forum/post/19603299

We watch a 46" screen from about 5 feet closer

I suggest that you not even think about how you watch a TV. Go to a comercial theater and see where you like to sit and how large the image is. That is what you are trying to duplicate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855958

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess that's the bad thing about being a HT newbie and not having the projector in hand to test different seating positions.
Looking at the size of a 130" screen outlined on my wall in masking tape, it just seems so large that I figured I needed 18-25 feet for the seating positions.

I also misunderstood the sizing information returned using the Epson projector sizing calculator when selecting the lens shift option.
I thought that I would have to mount the projector almost 3 feet from the ceiling not realizing that the blue colored area around the screen actually represented the movement that was possible with the lens shift option. So now it looks like I can mount near the ceiling and maintain the 120-130" screen size that I initially wanted. I'm hoping to purchase the projector during the boxing day sale period and run some sizing tests.

My more immediate steps are to get the Barricade subfloor installed and complete the installation of the insulation and get the walls framed.

I know I will have more sizing questions once I get the shell framed up and appreciate your time in responding.

Take care!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03eunos /forum/post/19607486

Looking at the size of a 130" screen outlined on my wall in masking tape, it just seems so large that I figured I needed 18-25 feet for the seating positions.

That is why you may want a smaller screen and sit a little closer. If you can keep the back row seating a couple of feet in front of the back wall the surround sound will perform better for those seated in the rear.

If you have 25 ft you have room for a third row with sit at bar seating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Barricade floor tile went down in a single weekend with no major hassle. My main issue was that my heavy Delta Hybrid saw was in the garage and I kept having to walk up the stairs to rip a tile, but still not too serious an issue.

As an update, it's been a long time since I've done any major work on the theatre room/basement after changing jobs and enjoying summer activities with three pre-teen kids.

While waiting to pick my wife up at work on October 20, I heard a radio ad stating our local hydro utilities were offering a 100% rebate on any basement wall and ceiling insulation purchased on October 22. I immediately checked their webpage when I arrived at home and found the offer was legit. I called the utility office and confirmed I met eligibility requirements before jumping for joy. I was also told to expect a huge run on insulation supplies on rebate day and to get there early.

I ate supper very quickly that night and headed to my local HD store and found they had everything I needed in stock. Our sales lady knew about the 100% rebate offer and mentioned that they had brought in extra trailer loads for the demand. She then surprised my wife and I by giving us the opportunity to buy what I needed that night and to come back on Saturday with my receipt and she would complete a refund and provide us with a new receipt with the correct "rebate day "date. I made several trips to bring home 60 4X8 sheets of 2" polystyrene rigid insulation and 20 bags of batt insulation. Almost $4000 worth of insulation free (rebated to light bill)

I have about 1/2 the basement completed with rigid and batt insulation and am working on some airflow issues where the garage wall meets the rim joist in the basement. To get the rebate, I have to have all work completed by December 31 and should be done before then. The temperature comfort level and ability to heat the basement is much, much better even with only 1/2 completed. The rebate really provided a boost to getting our theatre completed sooner and a more comfortable living area!!!

I'll post some updated photos shortly...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm working to get the rigid insulation on the walls, the wall framing completed and the batt insulation installed. I haven't started the electrical or plumbing, but our local power utility had a "free insulation" rebate and one of the conditions was that it be completed before December 31. Never one to procrastinate, I'm completing the insulation and framing in order to pass the utility's audit, knowing that I'll have to temporarily take out some of the batt insulation when it comes time to run wires/pipe. With almost $4000 in free insulation, I'm not complaining too much!!!

Please excuse the low quality phone camera pictures:

Pic #1: Air hockey table area of games room

Pic #2: Looking towards stage area of movie room

Pic #3: Looking towards washroom area (no framing until lift station installed)

Pic #4: Looking into movie room (21' X 14')

Pic #5: Looking into 5th bedroom area (a.k.a mother-in-law's apartment)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yippee!

Finally got the electrical wiring and potlight installation completed after a long spring and summer. I didn't spend much time on the basement or theater room due to summer holidays, kids sports and beautiful weather. I've spent the past few nights getting my speaker and other AV wiring completed and only have the spare bedroom and rec room to wire for RG6 and CAT5. Also ordered the first 60 sheets of drywall today which should be enough to complete the rec room and theater room. The local building supply store will use a larger boom truck to drop any order bigger than 60 sheets in my driveway, but deliver 60 sheets or less into my basement. Go figure!.

Going to start strapping the ceiling tomorrow night and fill in with insulation and hopefully be ready to start drywalling Monday night. Wife even said she's getting excited as she can notice the progress. I have some cleanup to do, but took a few pictures just to track my progress. I have to tidy up the insulation as I had to remove many batts to drill holes for the wiring. I actually had my insulation installed before my electrical as my local power utility gave me a 100% rebate if I installed before December 31 of 2011 as part of an energy savings program. Sweet deal so I don't really mind the extra work of re-installing the batt insulation.

Pictures coming as soon as I can upload from phone...

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts