AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1852 Posts

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen promos for it, coming early April.

Produced by the Coen bros and stars Billy Bob Thornton, suppose to have some connection to the movie, though it doesn't sound like any of the main characters from the movie will be in this series.

I remember liking it but have very little recollection of the movie, other than the funny accents and the cop or sheriff walking in on one of the villains about to feed someone to a wood chipper.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the sense that one of the main characters is a criminal mastermind.

Well a relative criminal mastermind, when you compare him to the guy in the movie who was using a wood chipper when the Frances McDormand character walked up on him.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the movie (I know, blasphemy!) but this looks kind of quirky and potentially amusing.

Reactions: Young C

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Wish I was an RA (registered architect)

I loved Osborn & Vane Architects, Inc. Greatest company ever

I loved stamping the seal of my boss. @ Arch knows what's going on

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
One of the principals of O&V designed this

Gotta love wealthy clients. We did the CDs, so I was in-charge of filing the documents, etc.

Highland Village > All

·
Registered
28,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C  /t/1520310/fargo-on-fx#post_24514745

Wish I was an RA (registered architect)

I loved Osborn & Vane Architects, Inc. Greatest company ever

I loved stamping the seal of my boss. @ Arch knows what's going on

You're lucky C. Times, and the laws have changed. When I was but a newly registered lowly project architect, my firm forced me and my fellow low-paid staff architects - the ones toiling overtime and weekends doing the actual work for the firm (for no additional pay; that too has changed) - to stamp and seal all the documents the firm released. This was so, in the event of a lawsuit, the highly-paid principals and partners, who reviewed and approved all those documents, would be protected from any liability. In other words, we were essentially cannon fodder. Things are much different now.

·
Registered
16,110 Posts
looking forward to the premiere tomorrow night...excellent cast and the anthology format makes for what should be a fantastic series...looks like Noah Hawley is the writer for most (every?) episode...I wonder how involved the Coen Brothers are...would have been insane if they were the main showrunners/writers

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I am watching it right now, to me its vastly different from the movie so far. Maybe that's why I am so intrigued, they state in the beginning its based on true stories. So now I wonder which is more accurate, the film or this series.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp  /t/1520310/fargo-on-fx#post_24611938

I am watching it right now, to me its vastly different from the movie so far. Maybe that's why I am so intrigued, they state in the beginning its based on true stories. So now I wonder which is more accurate, the film or this series.

Neither is based on a true story. Just a Coen bros gag.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Delicious. Great mix of Fargo-the-movie-style humor and some grisly scenes, too. Doubt they'd have come this close to the original without the aid of the movie creators. -- John

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I liked it too. Very offbeat with a unique tone for television. Quite funny at the beginning but took a very dark turn after the wife murder.

The only part I thought was weak was they put so much foreshadowing into the death of the chief it was very predictable that he wouldn't see next episode. I think the only thing they missed was saying he was a week away from retirement.

"Bacteria is not a pet."

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason  /t/1520310/fargo-on-fx#post_24612680

Delicious. Great mix of Fargo-the-movie-style humor and some grisly scenes, too. Doubt they'd have come this close to the original without the aid of the movie creators. -- John

If you haven't been following the discussion in HotP it was made clear the Coens had no input. They read the pilot to see what it was like and their names were added to the credits to acknowledge the original movie.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/838060/hot-off-the-press-the-latest-tv-news-and-information/93570#post_24601386

·
Registered
28,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1520310/fargo-on-fx#post_24613137

If you haven't been following the discussion in HotP it was made clear the Coens had no input. They read the pilot to see what it was like and their names were added to the credits to acknowledge the original movie.

And also to pay them off, perhaps. Very often an "executive producer" credit is given to somebody that has no other involvement in the show except to skim some cheddar off the top. You sometimes see lead actors getting them which is often just a way to boost their compensation without raising their official salaries. These "honorary" credits tend to accumulate over time, and can eventually result in the show being too expensive to produce any longer.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I have this on my DVR to watch tonight. Heck, anything with Billy Bob is automatic watch for me.

Will every episode be 1:30?

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1520310/fargo-on-fx#post_24613605

I have this on my DVR to watch tonight. Heck, anything with Billy Bob is automatic watch for me.

Will every episode be 1:30?

Next episode says 1:13 in my (comcast's) channel guide.

1 - 20 of 1852 Posts