AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the current availabilties of 1080i live sports has anyone had the opportunity to view live 1080P from Faroudja5000 on video sporting events yet?

Lon

·
Registered
103 Posts
For several years Faroudja used to display a G90 with a DVP 5000 at NAB, CEDIA and CES. Part of the show used to be to demonstrate the G90 employing a DVP 5000 to display 1080i and then display 1080p through the g90/DVP 5000. I do not know what was going inside the Faroudja box, but most that saw the domonstration would agree that the 1080p scaling done by the DVP 5000 was an improvement over 1080i through the DVP 5000.

·
Hello, World!
2,522 Posts
I don't have a live HD feed, but I have seen sports footage on a number of demo tapes via my F5000. No major problems to report.

When comparing the F5000 vs the HD Leeza, with fast moving images, I felt that the HDL performed slightly better, but cannot quantify that in any way.

Mark.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am running a DVP 5000 with my Christie Digital (Electrohome) 9500LC Ultra ( Thanks Tim)...It produces a stunning PQ for sports at 1080P which all viewers believe is better than the 1080i direct feed....I have never seen the first motion artifact..the US Open tennis and Patriots vs. Eagles just makes one smile and appreciate life!!..This "old" technology still heats it up and provides the best PQ for large screen viewing than anything else I have seen yet..Yes , it will be surpassed in the future, but just time to get out the old checkbook again..Niles

·
Hello, World!
2,522 Posts
Faroudja is mooted to have a replacement for the 5000, but haven't seen any firm details yet. Next off the starting block should be the aSimilator.

We can only hope it doesn't stumble at the start like the HD Leeza did...

Mark.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I own a Faroudja 5000. I used it with a Vidikron Vision One upconverting the HD 1080i feed to 1080p for sporting events, etc. We definitely noticed an improvement. The Faroudja rep told me that there would be a DVP-6000 that would be the next step from the 5000. He stated that it would probably be a year or more and that it would cost around $35,000 (yes, I think I heard him correctly). He also said that the 5000 was the only thing they had (included the newly announced products) that did 1080i to 1080p.

BTW, as some of my recent posts have indicated, my Vision One was recently destroyed and I am starting from scratch on my theater. I put a "temporary" PJ in the theater while I research out a longer term replacement. I went to CEDIA hoping to find the answer. I am thinking that Sony SXRD may be it but, still too many questions. Also I'm anxiously watching the 3 chip DLP progress. I have decided I'm not going back to CRT.

If someone here is considering the Faroudja 5000, I am selling mine. Feel free to contact me if you are interested (I hope that didn't break any rules) :)

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I had heard there was a Faroudja 1500 that did 1080P

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have also heard that other Faroujda products will "do" 1080p (heard directly at the Faroudja booth at CES), but you are correct that none seem to "convert" 1080i to 1080p like the DVP5000 does..I thought I saw on another thread that one of their new products might, but it was still somewhat inconclusive as it didn't say "convert"...The complex algorhythm required to perform such a feat has evidently kept the 5000 as one of a kind...is the HD leeza out now and does it do it??..There was a lot of hype prior to CES that it would, but it kept being delayed..I would also presume that by now some sort of HTPC configuration is available to do so..Hey, but I am still very happy, no need to replace the 5000 yet...Niles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.