AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would someone (me especially) pay to have a Faroudja chip in my DVD player and in my TV? Can't I just take a 480i feed from the DVD player straight to the TV and do the upconversion there? More so if my TV is the Samsung DLP that auto converts everything to 720p?

I am sure I am missing something obivious and would love to get what that is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Excellent question. Is it wise, for example, to add a video progressive Faroudjia card (2000U$ for the SimAudio Stellar DVD player) if the TV can do the job?

The progressive card performance may be superior (and I hope) but is it worth 200U$ in this case?

Regards,

·
Banned
178 Posts
It is still worthwhile to get a player with progressive scan. The DVD player does the processing in the digital domain where it is alot easier. If you feed the a 480i signal to the TV, the TV has to reprocess that signal from analog to digital does the conversion and back into analog.

Progressive dvd players aren't so expensive anymore with Faroudja processing. It is worth your wild to spend an extra $20 (I'm guessing that amount) for the progressive scan.. then to use the 480i player then not like it. All in All.. the choice is yours.. let the faroudja do the processing for other signals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.