AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many post in different threads that involve different players. But the one thing in common about all of the players is the Faroudja chip for upconverting.


I have a Denon 1910 with an older Faroudja, how much improvement, if any, is there between the older chips and the newer ones. Color pushes, macroblocking, shadow detail?


I have a '04 Mit ws-55513 RPTV. I was looking to upgrade to Oppo 981 but when I recieved it , I found out that there is a handshake issue between the player and my tv. I upgraded to the latest beta firmware, but still no luck. So I wasnt able to compare the older chip to the newer one. After reading farther into the new upconverting players, I noticed alot of issues with the Faroudja chip.


Maybe some can share experience between the older chips (like in my Denon1910) and newer ones. Pros and cons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,167 Posts
Actually, the 1910 has the current Faroudja chip (there have been no new ones by Faroudja since 2 years ago, when the 1910 was released), and thus has the same MB potential as all other newer Faroudja players such as the Oppo 971 and 981. remember that the chip is only one of several factors contributing to PQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
I'm looking for an upconverting DVD player that produces a better picture and sound than my Kenwood DV-5900M (7.1 sound + Faroudja processing). I will be using an InFocus 76 projector (PixelWorks processing) with the DVD player. Would prefer HDMI 3.1. I'm hoping one of the OPPOs or similarly priced DVD players are out there somewhere. I recently returned an HD Toshiba A2

after buying the HD DVD of King Kong to try out the Toshiba. It produced a very good image but I compared it to Gladiator and Stargate standard DVDs on the DV-5900M and there just wasn't that much difference. They were much closer than I expected. For $500 I need a bigger difference in picture quality. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0


Actually, the 1910 has the current Faroudja chip (there have been no new ones by Faroudja since 2 years ago, when the 1910 was released), and thus has the same MB potential as all other newer Faroudja players such as the Oppo 971 and 981. remember that the chip is only one of several factors contributing to PQ.

If I'm not mistaken Bill, my 1910 has the FLI-2301 not the FLI-2310, which the FLI-2310 is the newer model.


Was just wondering if there were any improvements in the newer chip?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelm3075 /forum/post/0


If I'm not mistaken Bill, my 1910 has the FLI-2301 not the FLI-2310, which the FLI-2310 is the newer model.


Was just wondering if there were any improvements in the newer chip?

I have players with both chips and don't think the differences amount to anything.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris. What do you have them hooked to and what type of connection?


Mine is hooked to a Mit ws-55513 CRT RPTV via DVI. Macro-blotching (green and red blotches, not blocking) is an issue, but some carefull calibration took care of most of it. Just wondering if this has improved any. I know it has alot to do with the other components in the player, but opinions are very welcome.


Jake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelm3075 /forum/post/0


Thanks Chris. What do you have them hooked to and what type of connection?


Mine is hooked to a Mit ws-55513 CRT RPTV via DVI. Macro-blotching (green and red blotches, not blocking) is an issue, but some carefull calibration took care of most of it. Just wondering if this has improved any. I know it has alot to do with the other components in the player, but opinions are very welcome.


Jake

I have had both chips in inexpensive players, the Zenith DVB318, LG DVB418 and Samsung DVD-HD941. The players have been connected to a Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector and Sony KV-30XBR910 direct view HDTV. All can upscale to component and DVI and all have been used with both inputs. Results are on a par with other inexpensive players I own but the FLI2310 won't jump out, at least with any of my inexpensive players, as meaning much. If you are thinking of upgrading to the Denon DVD-3910, that would be a big improvement, but not because of FLI2301 to FLI2310 in my opinion. Upgrading to another inexpensive player like your DVD-1910 but only with the FLI2310 probably isn't going to do much. The macroblocking enhancement problem if that is what you are seeing, is evident with both chips. We are still waiting for Faroudja to fix the issue.


The Oppo DV971H is nice for the price with the FLI2310 and probably still tops in terms of DVD-V value and performance. The DVD-1910 wasn't a very good implementation of the Faroudja chip more than likely.


Chris
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,039 Posts
Somebody explained the differences between the Faroudja chips that both deinterlace and scale. IIRC it was basically "packaging", the implementation was the same. These chips have various setup options. Just because players use the same chip doesn't mean they use it in exaclty the same way.


larry
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top