Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m in “research mode†and have combed this site for education on the best products to purchase. I’ve concluded that the best (for me) lower-mid priced set up would be to purchase an Infocus x1 running the dennon 1600.

I went to ALL the local stores in my area and found a dennon 1600 but could only get the salesperson down to $379 for an “out-of-the-box demo! This made me re-think the purchase of the dennon.

I asked myself what is it that I want out of a dvd player and the answer was I want to have a dvd that

has Faroudja DCDi processing. with excellent MPEG compression.

My question is this:

I’ve read the spec on the X1 and it reads that it is got the faroudja DCDi.

The dennon also has faroudja DCDi.

What happens to the video signal here?

Can the X1 handle the processing by itself from a non-faroudja player like the JVC n55?

Will one override the other?

Or will they work hand-in-hand to produce an even better pq?

My thought is if the X1 can handle the processing then I can save money on a lower priced dvd. (any suggestions?)

I’m a newbie so I may be lacking some knowledge that I have not gathered yet about this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
911 Posts
The X1 automatically de-interlaces any interlaced signal with pretty good results. If you feed it a progressive signal (already de-interlaced byt the dvd player) it can't de-interlace it so it won't.

I have personally seen the following with the X1

1 - great picture with an older Sony player running component 480i

2 - equally good picture running a low end progressive player at 480p

3 - noticably better picture running a player with a good deinterlacer at 480p - how much better? Maybe 5-10%. Not sure how to quantify this.

The theory is that the earlier the de-interlacing is done the better all things being equal (i.e. same chip in player or pj)

Colin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Colin for the quick reply.

It seems that I could purchase a lower end dvd and still benefit from Faroudja DCDi processing. although in this case the machine that sends the signal would be better to handle the de-interlacing rather then the one receiving it. got it.

A side thought (and maybe a different thread?)I was think of running the signal through my harmon kardon avr40 reciever (oldie but goodie)

Do you think that this would interfere with the processed signal or would it pass it through to the X1?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.