AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Faroudja Digital Projector Package was on display in the Krell room and the presentation was superb.

The Package consists of the following

1. JVC G15 D-ILA calibrated by William Phelps

2. Custom designed anamorphic attachment

3. Custom designed hush box

4. Faroudja DVD Transport / Processor (NRS Equivalent) with DVI in and output. (though in the case of the JVC it was outputting an analog signal)

The screen used was a 123" diagonal Firehawk.

Material played consisted of clips from Harry Potter, Chicken Run and some bad Sly Stallone racing movie whose title I am probably intentionally forgetting.

Keep in mind that I have not personally viewed any of these clips before, nor could I play material I had brought -Dark City, but the presentation was phenomenal.

brightness: Plenty to spare even in a room that was not completely light controlled

color: Saturated and gorgeous

sharpness: Very filmlike not quite soft but also not hyper sharpened like some of the DLP/LCD demos I saw

contrast: Very good. shadow detail on chicken run was quite good

but can it do black?: undecided. I was too unfamiliar with the material and most of it was brightly lit. A few scenes of Harry Potter where a wizard was wearing a black cloak looked damn good but was clearly aided by bright surroundings which will heighten the contrast.

Unfortunately the price was the only thing I did not enjoy. 41k is an insurmountable sum for the majority (myself included).

The good news is that the majority of AVS folks are quite industrious and could pull of nearly the same performance by purchasing piecemeal and do some things themselves. The one advantage of the Faroudja deal is that they open the unit up and calibrate it for you. If the unit has dead pixels or is not functioning up to spec upon opening it never makes it to the customers door.

This is all I can think of for now. Just wanted to give everyone who could not make it to the show a taste. Hopefully I will have some pics up on Secrets by the weekend.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i agree the display was excellent (the bass was way boomy and drove me out of the room). my $ would be on the JVC contribution, not the faroudja, esp considering the punky showing of the same F cinema source feeding the NEC 60" plas just out side.

the seleco sim 300 was also very good -it was showing d-vhs (the japan demo tape); same material as the sharp 9000 in the sharp booth which looked crummy, either due to mis-adjustment or pj limitations, but crummy nevertheless with no clue from the sharp tech.

didn't see runco or marantz anywhere.

suprisingly, the little piano looked pretty good, given its limitations.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
What anamorphic attachment? Panamorph?

JEff

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland

What anamorphic attachment? Panamorph?

Actually it is a propreitary one designed specifically (Faroudja's words) for the G15's lens. Its casing is made out of machined aluminum. I believe I took some pics of it (Hopefully they came out)

Quote:
Originally posted by jlm

agree the display was excellent (the bass was way boomy and drove me out of the room).
Agreed. I was surprised at how underwhelming the audio side was. In addition to boomy bass it was a rather bright presentation.

Its funny I was all set to wait for the next great thing to come along and now I lust for a properly calibrated G15! Oh well.

Good to see many AVS folks are attending though with all the press conferences today I was unable to meet any.

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Agreed, the Krell / Faroudja / JVC / Stewart was among the best A/V demo there. What REALLY shocked me was the new Krell A/V processor at only $4000 MSRP. Tremendous feature set (individual parametric equalization for each of the 7 channels, balanced outputs, 10 source inputs) and "looks" to kill.

The sound was a bit boomy (450 watt Krell monoblocks plus a monster sub), but the room was quite large.

That Sly Stallone movie was "Driven". Never saw the movie before, but picked it up tonight to watch (and listen) this mindless movie on my Sharp 9000 / Lexicon / Acurus / NHT system.

I've NEVER seen a better picture from DVD than the Krell/Far./JVC-DILA set-up they had. Tremendous contrast, especially on the dark, shadowy "Chicken Run" scene in the factory which I have seen demo'd many times before.

Re: RUNCO........

JLM... you must have missed the Runco/Arcam demo in the Sound by Singer room where Runco was running their soon-to-be released "5000" DLP (suppossedly 1500 lumens). Looked pretty good, but at $27,000 MSRP it should be!!! Demo scenes included ....... you guessed it!.... The "Diva" scene from Fifth Element-Superbit DVD(looked real good) ......and....Terminator 2 in D-theater DVHS (expected better PQ from this format).

The Arcam A/V processing was superb for this $4600 unit to be released this summer. (The Krell pre/pro now looks like a steal!)

How about some other opinions on the Expo?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
when i looke into the singer room, all i saw was the 27,000 price tag and the runco 5000 still on the floor...i had forgotten about that.

was very impressed with the 2 channel wilson demo of the watt puppy 7's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The anamorphic lens used by Faroudja had a Panamorph label on it. I didn't think the demo was much better than the sharp 9000 demo, nor the Studio experience demo (sound excluded). I was most surprised also by the Piano. It looked almost identical to my setup: NEC LT 150 and DVDO Iscan pro.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TAGLIA
The anamorphic lens used by Faroudja had a Panamorph label on it. I didn't think the demo was much better than the sharp 9000 demo, nor the Studio experience demo (sound excluded). I was most surprised also by the Piano. It looked almost identical to my setup: NEC LT 150 and DVDO Iscan pro.
I guess we will have to agree to strongly disagree.

The Studio Experience booth was not even light controlled. The picture was washed out and had visible screen door from 10-12ft away. Not to mention a very video look.

The sharp was and is being demonstrated in multiple locations so I am unsure which one you are commenting on. From the demonstrations I saw its performance on DVD was sub par at best. Hi-def material did look quite good though. This could very well be due to the fact that they were not set up properly nor calibrated to yield the best results.

To my eyes nothing touched the D-ILA demo. Not even close. That is including the Runco vx-5000c which is hideously overrated or the Seleco 300 which was quite obviously too dim (even with the door closed and the other projector being shut off to eliminate any ambient light.

For the price point the new plus does represent an excellent value. Given a smaller screen its performance is a no-brainer at 3200$.

This is all moot though without a true side by side demo with the same source material/equipment such observations are a bit on the subjective side. One thing that can not be contested is that I WANT ONE!

Chris

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
John. You are right on re the new Wilson Watt 7/puppies. Clearly the best sound at the show. This new Wilson is about 40% better in sound quality than the old watt6/puppy. Costs only $2K more. So the new one costs $22K. Add the $10k subwoofer used to play only 20 to 40 hz or so and you are close to the best there is for $32K. The sub is tremendous and is underpriced at $10K.

That sub is going into my HT. It is awsome.

By the way, I need to disclose that I am a Wilson dealer. Nevertheless, even if I didn't sell Wilson, I would maintain this was the best sound at the show. Superb. Worth the money if you desire it and can afford it.

The best speakers I have heard recently? The $80K Martin Logan Statements at Gayle Sanders house in Kansas. I am also a Martin Logan dealer. But even if I wasn't, I would still say the big Logans are beyond belief.

·
Registered
957 Posts
does the nrs/dvd player also process other inputs to pj like sat? or is it only for the one dvd inside? i admit will be nice to do it all digitally but would hate nee to by another nrs for sat content.... anyone have info?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The NRS D.C.S (Digital Cinema Source) is a full NRS scaler with an added DVD drive. It has all the inputs that a normal NRS or NRS Plus has, plus DVI in and out.

William

·
Registered
529 Posts
Why does it cost $6000 for the DVD drive? What makes the transport section so special? During one of the demos (Harry Potter) the DCS kept freezing and breaking up, so I guess for $10k the bugs are thrown in as well.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Remember, this is the company that routinely chaarged $15K to $25K for their doublers, triplers, etc. At least their prices (though steep) are more in line than they used to be.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
for the record, the "native rate" in the dcs differs from the standalone native rate: the dcs version has dvi, YpvPb and rgbhv out, will pass through dvi (and HD) and it has a built in test pattern generator. none of this was in the old NR; no idea about the new NR.

·
Registered
554 Posts
my two cents:

video: very good...but not much better imo than the Sim2 HT300, which too me was the biggest "surprise." in fact so much is dependent on the source, and source material, that the HT300 running interlaced s-video from a cheapo player should not have looked as good as it did. on the other hand, the front end of Faroudja....was top-notch.

and for all the Runco-bashers....what do you call this? at $41k? a JVC/Panamorph/Whisperflow combo??

btw...during the intro, the Faroudja rep. referred to the "special panamorphic lens" !!!!!

and of course, in total agreement: the sound sucked. i am not a Krell fan, but do those metal speakers really sound so harsh?

source material: Harry Potter demo looked bad for some reason. I watched that scene at home later and did not notice the same problems. Chicken Run much better as was Driven. in fact Driven was the only soundtrack that sounded decent....thar Krell equipment is def. optimized for engine amd exhaust noise.. (oops...did i say that, or just think that?).

back to the HT300 for a second: to me that had tremendous color saturation and 3D-ness. VERY impressive.

the Runco vx5000 was good....not blow-away. watched moulin rouge which i am very familiar with (including the DTS lip synch problem!)....not worth anywhere near $27k (if that's the price) imo.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
In my opinion the Runco DLP was good, but exhibited a bit of blur during fast movements. It was definetely not worth 12 grand more than the Seleco or 17 grand more than the Sharp. The Sharp 9000 looked very good on high def material, I suspect it wasn't as well set up as possible, but it was still very good. Perhaps it was better on some days than others. The Seleco edged out the Sharp, but then it costs 5 grand more. You could buy a Faroudja scaler and a screen for the price difference. The Seleco was very pleasing, but shots of the sky looked just a tad dark ( not bright enough?). They were showing the Seleco from an S-Video out of a cheap DVD player and trying to claim this was on purpose to prove a point. I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't hold up. If they showed the Plus Piano with a more basic DVD player I might understand, but with a $15,000 projector that has serious competition you would think they would show it with the best possible DVD player. The In Focus with Faroudja deinterlacing at $5000 was interesting. It gives the Seleco 200 a run for it's money at $3500 dollars less. The Plus Piano makes a lot of sense for many situations, lot's of fun, and so amazingly small, you could take it with you on weekend getaways. The Marants 12SI was notable by it's absense. What's up with that? Dan Miller? It was a great opportunity for Marantz to buddy up with someone and be seen by thousands. Must say that the show was a class affair all the way. Very friendly people, beautiful rooms, reasonably decent set ups, some great audio. Hats off to Samsung for providing free tickets to the Episode II of Star Wars in 100% digital at the Ziegfeld theater, with popcorn, soda, grab bag of candy and T-Shirts. Must have cost them a small fortune to rent the theater, but it bought a lot of good will from me. Thanks to Stereophile for making a very cool thing happen in NYC.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Rob, I know that the small Krell speakers sound superb and are quite stunning for their size. Why the sound was not so great in their demo room is a mystery to me. Perhaps the big speakers weren't fully broken in, or the subs were just too damn loud. Center channel dialogue was very clear though. I have never been a big Krell fan, but I'm very anxious to hear their new Showcase pre-pro from a 2 channel source in a decent environment. If it sounds half as good as it looks....I'm impressed. What a beautifully thought out piece at $4000, let the lusting begin! I know there is heavy competition from Arcam and Anthem near that price point and I would like to hear them as well. Wasn't blown away by the Arcam sound at the Runco DLP demo either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a oppurtunity to view the projectors, ofcourse the jvc /faru/krell presentation was good but at $41k ...not for my taste. the runco was good too. the sharp was so ..so ...

I did have a chance to see the in-focus dlp ...which was for $5000 anybody have take on that ?

there was another by dream vision dlp retailing for $13k ..not that great for that price ..

BY far the piano stood really out for the price ... How does this projector hold up to bigger screens for diagonal sizes of 120" .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.