AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both a dvp3000 running a sony g90 for dvd and a nrs running a pio plasma for video/tv. There is lots of chat on the forum about new processors such as the HD Lezza retailing for 4k. Certainly the dvp3000 cost 5 times that amount, but i have had it suggested that the dvp3000 is becoming outdated. Whilst a fine machine will things like the Lezza outperform it? Same question applies to the nrs...(the nrs wont run 960/1080p which my projector requires hence the dvp3000..)

Opinions welcomed..

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Adamleon,

That is a great question. The Faroudja is , as of this moment, state of the art (excluding the Teranex). It is it's price that is about to become outdated , but that is inevitable.

The new Processors are leading a two pronged attack: 1) The ability to scale HD at a much more reasonable cost. 2) A processing capability that finally de-throwns Faroudja's venerable DCDi.

Have they accomplished this? I believe that there are people that know the answer but we sure have not had much success getting them to reveal anything prior to release of their products.

Key Digital's & the HD Leeza will be utilizing "Clear Matrix Pro" & my guess is that it would not exist if they felt it did not outperform the capabilities of DCDi. KD has wisely decided that the proof is in the pudding & that everyone can see for themselves mid-December.

*** will be addressing their effort with "Pixel Perfect" in the Rock Pro which should appear in January 03.

These are the 2 products I have knowledge of, I am sure that their are others , like Immersive's Assimilator that are quite interesting.

Happy Holidays, damon

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The HD Leeza isn't available yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting its release. I have a G90 as well and used to own a DVP5000, but I sold the 5000 after I became convinced that a tweaked out HTPC could best the 5000 on DVD processing. Plus, I wasn't 100% happy with the 1080i deinterlacing (it exhibited weird artifacting that drove me crazy), so it was hard to justify having such an expensive machine in the picture, so to speak.

Although I haven't seen formal confirmation of this, it appears that the HD Leeza will be able to do things like turn 1080i/60 film into 1080p/72, 1080i/60 video into 1080p/60, 720p/60 film into 1080p/72, 720p/60 video into 1080p/60, etc. I know it will be able to replicate what my HTPC does (480i/60 film into 960p/72 or 1080p/72). Plus, the for US$4K price tag, you get a "free" SDI modified DVD player for a pure digital pathway to the processor. If the video deinterlacing is good, this should be a winner. I can't stand the wait...I love the picture from my HTPC, but the ergonomics and sometimes lockups drive me batty.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
damon,

The DVP2000 and NRS are the state of the art in scaling and deinterlacing (if you can get them to work properly on your PJ or plasma).

However, the DVP3000 is already way past its prime. Certainly, its features do not presently justify its price. This is the reason the DVP2000 is coming out (essentially an NRS with variable rates).

Still, new scalers like HD-LEEZA and aSimilator will kick its butt, because Faroudja is not advancing its technology to the bleeding edge. They are going to the safe route, with very little essential progress to their scalers.

The new scalers will have these units beat because they are essentially using well known algorithms (which were cutting edge when Faroudja came out with them, but have long since been adopted for use by every other scaler manufacturer) in combination with features that make the DVP3000 look like a dinosaur.

IMO, the resale value for this unit will drop dramatically when the new scalers come out at the end of this year.

·
Hello, World!
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
The HD Leeza isn't available yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting its release. I have a G90 as well and used to own a DVP5000, but I sold the 5000 after I became convinced that a tweaked out HTPC could best the 5000 on DVD processing. Plus, I wasn't 100% happy with the 1080i deinterlacing (it exhibited weird artifacting that drove me crazy), so it was hard to justify having such an expensive machine in the picture, so to speak.
The DVP5000's problems in this regard have been fixed. The only problems you see now are those in the source material.

Mark

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
adamleon: You got 2 questions and 2 problems. First off, using an NRS with any Pioneer plasma is a "faux pas" or a big NO NO. The Pio is 1280 x 768 and the NRS handles this with 2 different rates. One is the 720P version and the other is the 1280 x768 version. The 720p version is not the panels native rate and while it does improve over the internal scalers image, you are still using the internal scaler to scale the image from 720 to 768 which defeats the purpose of using an outboard scaler. The 768 version causes judder and tearing because the refresh rate is fixed at 60hz and the Pio uses an unusual 70hz so the picture refreshes at incorrect rates causing the image to tear. Neither one is acceptable and no Faroudja product should be used in conjunction with a Pio plasma.

Problem #2 the 3000: Yes the product is old and outdated as has been for some time now. It has been well documented that the NRS does a much better job at deinterlacing, color saturation and detail than the mega buck 3000, hence a small but significant advance in technology from Faroudja. If only the NRS had the correct rate for your G90, but it does not so you need something else.

What you didn't say is whether or not a single scaler can be used for both the plasma and G90. If they are close enough in proximity, you could use DVI, component, d-sub 15 or s-video from an HD Leeza and run a seperate group of component cables to the PJ. The HD Leeza can and will do all of the necessary scaling rates and refresh rates and on DVD, HD and film based programming it will look better than any Faroudja product and arguably as good as anything avaialble on the market today. The BIG BIG question is how will it handle VIDEO based programming like sporting events or DVD's with bad edits and video contained within. I have always stated that Faroudja is the king of the hill regarding video based material and I have yet to see anyone do it better, including the billion dollar teranex. I cannot answer that question but, I know the KD guys will handle HD scaling better than anyone and will have a non linear stretch feature on their scaler that no one else on earth has ever offered. Even if the video scaling was just ok, all of the other bells and whistles would still put this product over the top. The original clear matrix algorithm was ok, not great and not as good as the F processig on video based stuff, so i am going to safely assume the clear matrix pro will be significantly better than it's first algorithm.

We shall see soon enough but, in any case you should get rid of both of those scalers FAST and do it before the bottom falls any further on both of those products.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_H
The DVP5000's problems in this regard have been fixed. The only problems you see now are those in the source material.
I'm sure it has, but at the time, I got into a semi-major pi$$ing match with my good friends at Faroudja over this ("your unit is operating to current spec" was all I heard for a few months). It left a very bad taste in my mouth--up until that point, I had always been a big fan. Alas, I don't have the free cash flow now to even think about revisiting a new off-the-line 5000, so I eagerly await the HD Leeza, with fingers crossed that it's all that and a bag of chips.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Get the ROCK+ and you will not be disappointed. I have been running one for about one year with a Sony 1292 and it is awesome! An opinion from a very satisfied customer.

Felix

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
A rock plus is yesterdays news and is software based. Welcome to the new millenium where video cards and HTPC architecture is a thing of the past. HD Leeza or Asimilator, everything else is already outdated.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ericbee

Problem #2 the 3000: Yes the product is old and outdated as has been for some time now. It has been well documented that the NRS does a much better job at deinterlacing, color saturation and detail than the mega buck 3000, hence a small but significant advance in technology from Faroudja. If only the NRS had the correct rate for your G90, but it does not so you need something else.

[/b]
The NRS can come very very close to the correct rate for the G90U, the NRS plus @ 1024 looks very good.

Lon

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
DCDI

Adamleon,

That is a great question. The Faroudja is , as of this moment, state of the art (excluding the Teranex).

well i had a g90 crt together with a faroudja 5000 the top processor!!!

i have at the moment a vigatic dune f and i can tell you this processor(with the latest software) is far better than the very expensive faroudja.

the dune f also have sdi input!!! and can handle ALL scan rates!

the ONLY disadvantage is the not good hd 1080p prozessing.

dune have flat freq.till 6.75 mhz and colour resulution flat till 3,75!!!

this is far better than the 5000 from faroudja.

what i wait for is a prozessor with 24/48/72 hz for sd tv AND hd tv.

and a output with 1080p to 1280 X1024 with the 24/48/72hz.

hope and think we will see new products at ces.

w.mayer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.