AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called Faroudja to ask if I could use their new Native Rate Series with the Sony VW10HT or the Sanyo PLV-60. Apparently I am very thick headed because the technical support rep started yelling at me after I didn't get it the first two times but they claim that the scaler will not work with a 4:3 signal. Does anyone have any experience trying the Native Rate Series with the 10HT? Of course they claim it is the fault of the projector's software, not their's but supposedly, the projectors can't display a 800*600 signal.

· Registered
7,518 Posts
odd...the scaler should (as in "ought to") have the ability to both windowbox 4x3 material as well as "zoom" 4x3 lbxed material to keep everything at a constant 16x9 aspect ratio for the display. If it could do that, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Can the new native rate faroudja *not* do these basic scaler chores?

-dave

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like i said i got yelled at pretty quickly so i'm not sure. he said that it would window box 4:3(if it wasn't 800*600) but with bands on the top and bottom as well as the left and right. That would mean an unnecessarily small picture.

· Registered
7,518 Posts
Sounds like the new faroudja has dropped the all-important ability to scale a non-anamorphic 4x3 lbxed movie to properly fill a 16x9 aspect ratio.

maybe that's what they mean when they say the new native rate "doesn't work with CRT"...apparently that also applies to 16x9-aspect digital projectors?

If this is true...then basically this scaler is uselss. Just get a $300 progressive-scan DVD player like the philips that uses the same chip and say goodbye to faroudja $$$$.

-dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.