AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the potential dis-satisfiers with this particular combination,,,, basically, for those that have combined this projector and scaler, what don't/didn't you like about it?

Looking for feedback with DVD source and sattelite broadcasts.

Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
A friend of mine had the DILA NR for his G-15 and after a couple of hours of playing with it (I was helping him set up his theater) I threw up my hands and told him to send it back.

He bought a Rock+ and he's been very happy with it (as am I).

Honestly, I was pretty unimpressed with the NR. It does a good job of de-interlacing video (as does the Rock - just not *quite* as good), and the box itself looks nice, but in all other respects, I was extremely disappointed with it.

It's extremely limited in aspect ratio adjustments, you can't change the refresh rate or resolution (what happens when you get an anamorphic lens?), the onscreen menu is pathetic (and SLOW!), few test patterns, nothing to help in adjusting DILA tracking/phase, etc. etc. I still can't get over the fact that when in letterbox mode, the NR CUTS off it's own onscreen menu display!

I expected to be mildly impressed with the NR when my friend bought the unit, but well, you could say I was surprised.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
check out the "artist formerly known as tommyboy"'s scaler review in the forum; there you will see some disadvantages to the NR,(firmware prior to 2.2) but also the note that the new firmware versions(2.2) have fixed the problems. You should probably make sure the new units are or are not to your liking. for the record, the osd problems went away, as did the ringing. F is now preparing a 2.4 firmware which will address a few more things, the only specific that i have is that you can add grey sidebars instead of black.

in my opinion, you have to try these gadjets out on your own turf and return them if unhappy. i tried the rock, vig, nr and now am sticking with the leeza; for a few of the reasons that Patrick mentioned, but mainly the cost effective solution for sdi and dvi.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No prob Jeff! Let us all know what you decide on and what you think of it once it's set up.

Thanks for the compliments on my HT! :) I do need to update some of those pictures though - some are a bit dated.

I'll be buying a tripod so I can use the new color sensor/dilard to calibrate my G-11. I should be able to get much nicer shots of the room/screen as a result.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone noticed smearing on their DIL-A with a NR+ v2.2?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.