AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Faroudja NRS for a Pioneer 503CMX and I am wondering if I need to manually defeat the internal scaler for the Pioneer or is it done automatically when using the component inputs?

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
You'll note that when connected to the RGB input 2 on the Pio 503, you can still change the display aspect by hitting the "screen size" button on the remote. This ability to alter the display means that the internal scaler is functioning and in the signal path. The only way to get around this would be using the VGA input. Driving the panel dot-for-dot with VGA is supposed to be the optimum connection for this combination scaler and display. But you loose the ability to change display size - other than what the NRS offers (which is more limited).

The DVI input may be similar, but I have yet to use that, and therefore can't comment on it.

By the way, have you noticed or been bothered by motion artifacts with the 503 & NRS combination? Check the following threads for more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=136911

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=136516

Rich

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Plasma1:

Welcome to the forum.

The 503 automatically disables its internal scaler when driven dot-for-dot. Both the VGA and BNC NRS outputs are active at the same time. You can connect the NRS to either the VGA or component inputs of the 503. With the NRS connected, you will see “dot for dot†displayed on the 503 when you try to change the aspect ratio or when you switch to that input. I’ve used both inputs and found no picture quality difference. I’ve connected mine with a high-quality VGA cable and use the component inputs (input 2) for high definition satellite.

When using the NRS BNC outputs, you need all 5 cables (RGBVH). Buy good cables for RGB and cheaper ones for VH, as they’re for sync only, and don’t affect picture quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.