AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use a Comcast 3100HD HDTV box with my Faroudja NRS and Sanyo XP21N. The Comcast box puts out 1080i, it appears I need to pass this through the Faroudja and make settings at the projector.

Reading the manual, it appears there are two ways to handle an HD signal with the NRS. If you have a source with a straight RGBHV output, you just select "pass through"One option is to "transcode" the YPrPb output of the Comcast box to RGBHV. It would then go to the projector via my RGBHV cable. What I am not clear about with this option is whether the signal could actually be input via the YCrCb terminals of the Faroudja or will I have to use a combiner cable that has the YPrPb plugs at the Comcast and the D15M plug for the HD input port of the Faroudja.

In other words, could I tell the pass through option that it has to transcode and it would then transcode and pass through the input signal from the YCrCb terminals when "Pass Thru" is selected.

Or will I have to get the special cable noted above and use the D15M HD input of the Faroudja, selecting "transcode" any way?

Your input GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

Dan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You have to use the D15 connector on the NRS -- it is the only one that the NRS will pass through. It will either do a complete pass-thru or a transcode.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Somehow I knew you'd have the answer. The manual is a little fuzzy as to how you enable the transcoding, which I think would be required here. The cable box only puts out 1080i, it is not selectable. Can I assume that is what I will select in the transcode option? How is that accessed for selection?

Please run slowly with the scissors until I get this sorted out! LOL :D

Dan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, transcoding only changes the color space, such as from YPbPr --> RGB or vice-versa. It doesn't actually do anything to the resolution that's coming in -- so it "should" work where the cable box puts out 1080i as a YPbPr signal, and you want 1080i as an RGB signal. The transcode option is basically a "yes" or a "no" -- either on or off, and that's it. The only possible problem I could see is if for some reason Faroudja wants to only see "p" type signals on the pass-through, although I can't imagine why it would. Note that there's no harm in playing around with the transcode options while you have everything hooked up and running. I run a computer VGA output through the pass-through, so I don't turn on transcoding, but if I do, it just makes the picture green. Likewise, if you need transcoding, and don't turn it on, your picture should still be there, just the colors will be screwed up. So the thing to do is hook everything up, and then turn on transcoding and turn it off, to see whether you need it.

I'm thinking of changing my by-line to read "plays in the dirt."

And, as an off-color joke, you know how a lot of people say "Advanced Member," "Founding Member," "Expert Member," etc.? Some guy in a different forum put "Large Member." Get it? :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mdryja! Playing in the dirt is definitely safer than running with scissors, that's for sure. :)

Dan

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
DanHouck:

Quite some time ago, I tried a Sony HD satellite receiver with my NRS using pass through, and it worked fine. FWIW, the Sony was set to VGA 1080i, but I'm sure transcoding will work as well.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Jim, it appears the problem is going to be with how my projector processes its "computer" inputs versus component. People are reporting that HDTV didn't work right on the former. So I have to not only adapt from the STB to the Faroudja but also change the feed to the projector from "computer" to component.

Dan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Note that there are component VGA conversion boxes, in case you want to do that . . . .

I have no problems running a computer output through the NRS, but, granted, its at the plasma's native res of 852x480, 60hz.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Zenith 1080i satellite receiver and a faroudja nrs-dvi and I have no trouble with HD channel pass-through. The faroudja also scalers up DVDs with a great picture, and it also scales up Over The Air channels nicely. However, I 'm have trouble gettting the faroudja to scale up non-HD satellite channels. The unit has a sticker on it that say "NTSC ONLY." Is the faroudja suppose to scale up ono-HD satellite chaneels?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hmmm, the NRS's big claim to fame is really the non-HD scaling, as that's where all of Faroudja's expertise with deinterlacing shines. So it definitely will/should scale non-HD stuff.

If you're located in NOrth America, then you have an NTSC signal, so that shouldn't be a problem. (It won't work in Europe, say, where the std is PAL.)

Note that nearly all HD sat receivers output non-HD content only on S-video or composite video. Are you connecting your receiver to the Faroujda through one of these two connections?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Mdryja - I tried connecting with an poor quality s-video cable but I will try it with a better cable. Do you know if the satellite reception is about the same for all receivers or are some better than others?

Also I see that some satellite receivers like the Sony HD300 appear to be able to output 480i through component cable. Would that be better way to send the 480i signal to the faroudja?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
creativewriters:

From my experience, you will definitely get a better picture routing SD satellite through the NRS, rather than using your displays' scaler. It should work almost as well as DVD's barring the inevitable MPEG artifacts. As mdryja said, SD deinterlacing is where the NRS shines.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I have a NRS that I set up to use with the HDTV. IMO, the best recommendation is to use you STB component (YPrPb) output with a break-out cable (RCA to HD-15). Then select "HDTV External Input YPrPb to RGB" on the NRS main menu, then another menu will appear to select "HDTV External Format, 480p, 720p, 1080i"

I got the following from the Tech Rep at Faroudja:
Quote:
"You may use either Component (YPrPb) or the D-sub 15 pin connection (RGBh/v). The NRS has the ability to transcode a Component HD signal (converts YPrPb to RGBh/v). Additional information is located within the NRS manual, page 6, left column. NRS Manual

A set-top receiver with a VGA connector (RGBh/v d-sub 15 pin) means that the receiver has taken YPrPb and transcoded it into RGBh/v. For this reason, I would recommend using Component out, then enable our transcoder."
There ia also some help on the Faroudja web site FAQ .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.