Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Well, that's it. I've decided to get the Sharp 9000. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Now that that's out of the way, I have my next question: scaler? I'm considering the DVDO or possibly a Faroudja Native Rate.

When I saw the 9000 at LaserLand, it looked excellent on HD material (obviously) and extremely good on DVD played from a Panasonic progressive-scan DVD/DVD-A player (I forget the model, but it was very expensive).

We watched very little SD broadcast or satellite material on it, so I don't know how well the internal scaler works for 480i.

If anybody has seen the projector with lots of 480i, I'm interested in opinions on the following:

1) Is the internal scaler acceptable for 480i?

2) If not, should I just use a DVDO iScan to convert it to 480p component, and send that to the Sharp?

3) Or, does the Faroudja NRS provide such better results scaling the 480i to 720p directly (instead of using the DVDO to get 480p and then letting the Sharp do a second scaling pass to 720p) that it's worth the money?

Thanks for your thoughts!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Mike- Just received my Faroudja NR today, and should be receiving the Sharp 9000Z early next week. I'll be able to post some results for you once I'm up and running. I'll be using a CAL CL-2500 DVD player, which is an excellent interlaced DVD player. I can feed 480i from the CAL to the 9000Z and compare it to 480i from the CAL to the NR to the 9000Z I called Sharp and the internal scaler is bypassed when fed a 720P signal, so the NR should make for an awesome combo. I think a high quality progressive scan DVD player would be better than using the DVDO to the 9000Z if you are going to send it just a 480P signal. If you didn't purchase your 9000Z, contact Jason at AVS as he had an awesome price for the 9000Z/720p NR combo. I'll try to post results as soon as I am setup.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yup, I'm planning to buy through AVS!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Mike, FYI....the DVDO is not a scaler.

Tom

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Keep your options open for the Vigatec Dune with SDI input as well. This is a little more expensive than the Faroudja, but it will give you the best non-HTPC path from the DVD player to the projector. Also the TAW scalers are excellent. Both again are a little more than the NR however.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
jim:

since the sdi is between the dvd player and rock or vig, what dvd players/sat boxes would you suggest that are sdi compliant? the only ones I know of are the modifed unit from vig for about 1,500 and maybe the Theta for around 3-4K and a card to be available for the PMDT for around 1K beyond the price of the player. No word on sat boxes yet.

I think the difference in list prices between the vig or rock+ with sdi and Native rate without sdi is 1-2K.

I am behind the sdi connection, but it seemed pricey and gear limited at this point.

The obvious next development would be to use a digital out (dvi) path from the processor to the projector as well. any news about this from the rock+ or vig? and comments on dvi/copy protection?

------------------

john

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hi John,

Please contact Tom Strade about options for SDI modified players. He can help you with pricing and availability and so forth. I'm not sure what info is public and what's not, but I think they have some much more attractive options now than the $1500 player modification.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We are very close to taking orders for SDI mods on the following players - Panasonic DVD-RP56 & A7; Technics A10; and the Denon 3300. Price will be $525 + shipping. We will be putting a sign up list on-line soon so people can get in the "queue".

The RP56 is interesting because it can be bought for $200 and has the Fli2200 in it. This means you can use SDI into the Dune for most stuff and then leverage the Fli2200 feeding 480P into the Dune for more challenging stuff. Total cost for this player with upgrade would be roughly $725. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom Bley: yes, you're correct of course. The DVDO is just a doubler. I guess what I was asking was better phrased like this:

The Sharp 9000 looked excellent to me using its own scaler on 480p material from a progressive-scan DVD player. So, I'm wondering if I would see a substantial improvement going with an external scaler (especially for off-air and satellite TV) that goes directly from 480i to 720p. Or, if I could use the less-expensive DVDO iScan Pro to give me 480p and then rely on the Sharp's scaler to do the rest.

From what I've heard the Faroudja is an excellent scaler for video material as well as film, and handles mixed material very well also. But, it's also ~$3k compared to the iScan at ~$900 or less.

Tom Strade et al.: could one of you nice folks point me to a good primer on SDI? I hadn't heard much about this connection until recently, and I'd like to know a bit more about it before I select my components. Thanks!

------------------

Mike Kobb

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When I contacted Jason Turk by email regarding purchasing the Sharp 9000, his response to me on 10-5 was:

"We are having some trouble with Sharp right now. I am not taking any orders or quoting any prices at this point."

What gives?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just Mike:

I'm with you. I just purchased a Z9000 from my local dealer and I was also hoping for word on the street of an ideal video "processor" to mate it with. I have a dvdo line doubler which I've been using with my Sony 53HS10 (soon to become the PS2 tv) and it definitely improved the quality of regular Direct TV appearance...but I'm looking to up the ante for my Z9000.

There must be a decent alternative between the $3200 NRS and the $900 dvdo pro. Which HDTV tuner are you going with? I've chosen the Sony HD-100 ,with some reservation, because I favor the on screen menus compared to the RCA DTC-100. Lastly, what screen are you using? I've chosen the Draper Access Sonata Series V 78" x 104"NTSC size with M2500 surface (yes, 2.5 peak gain). I figured with an 11' diagonal screen, plus desiring to watch sports with lotsa ambient light, I'd better go for a bright screen. Also, with the Sharp's 1100:1 contrast ratios, I shouldn't need a Greyhawk. Appreciate your input.

Dr D

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heya,

Well, here's my current thinking. I was about to buy the Kenwood 5900 progressive-scan 400+3 changer ($1500, or about $1100 street) to replace my Sony 860 300-disc 480i changer. That plus the DVDO is $1900. So, I can step up to the Faroudja for an extra 50%. My current plan is to try the 9000 with the DVDO and see how it looks on satellite TV. If I'm not satisfied, I'll try the Faroudja.

For HDTV, I'm presently using the Dish 6000 with the OTA module. I expect to add DirecTV HD soon (I'm waiting to see what the Zenith looks like).

The screen I'm planning to use is a Stewart that I'm inheriting from a friend. It's white, but it's not high gain (I'm not certain if it's the 1.3 or 1.5 screen). I saw the projector on a Greyhawk, and I don't see any resaon to get one. I might go with a high gain screen if I'm not happy with the Stewart, but I'm definitely giving it a whirl first. It will be about 106" diagonal (16:9).

------------------

Mike Kobb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.