AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Faroudja Digital Projector Package is available now from Faroudja dealers at a suggested retail price of $41,000 with the NRS-DCS Processor, or $36,000 with the NRS Processor. The FDP Package contains an optimized and aligned 1365 x 1024 D-ILA projector, a Faroudja- customized anamorphic lens for dynamic projection, a custom “Hush Box†for soundproofing, and either a Digital Cinema Source (NRS-DCS) Processor or a Native Rate Series (NRS) Processor.

Hmmmmmmmmm, considering that I can't get a demo of the DL-70, what do think are the chances of seen a demo of this thing?

http://www.hometheatermag.com/shownews.cgi?251

·
Registered
803 Posts
so..it comes with an anamorphic lens *Faroudja-customized* hush box, processor and $36,000 - $41,000 price tag...wow.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Of course there's also the DIY route:

Buy a JVC G-15

Have it calibrated by William Phelps and associates, or Cliff Plavin.

Put together an HTPC

Buy a Panamorph

Design/build your own hushbox.

With the rest of the money - buy DVDs.

How many DVDs can you buy?

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hmmm...

Approx. price for G15: $13,000

Approx. price for Panamorph: $ 2,000

Approx. price for decent HTPC: $ 2,500

Approx. price for Whisperflow Hushbox: $ 450

Approx.cost for Phelps calibration: I don't actually know ;)

Assuming under $5,000 for a W. Phelps calibration (please someone post an accurate figure), that leaves nearly $20,000 for DVD purchases.

DIY it is ;)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
G15 is more like ~$9k or less

~ $500 - $600 for calibration.

does a $2500 HTPC throw a better picture than a $1000 one? NO

and of course you could build your own panmorph for under $50

Hey anybody that can mark up a projector $30k and sell it, either found an idiot, or is a brilliant marketer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, you can do a DIY. But it is NOT a Faroudja. Come to think of it, neither is most of the one you acquire for $41k. Ops!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
William Phelps going price I think is around $900 and its worth every penny. Not sure If I can mention the hushbox manufacturer, but no Jorus its not me. Its a company that specializes in keeping audio and video equipment cool.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan2112
A DIY Panamorph? :confused:

Where can I find out more info about this?
Build two prisms out of cut glass and silicon calk or glue. One with 24 degree angle and one with 30 degree. fill with water and place them back to back. shine your projector through it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Daniel? Say what? lol

Alright, so much for subtlety: The winky face I posted conceals a link to info on DIY anamorphic lenses, which we are not allowed to discuss here. The link was posted for Dan's benefit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus
Daniel? Say what? lol

Alright, so much for subtlety: The winky face I posted conceals a link to info on DIY anamorphic lenses, which we are not allowed to discuss here. The link was posted for Dan's benefit.
Got it... :)

Thanks... Another secret revealed...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
Build two prisms out of cut glass and silicon calk or glue. One with 24 degree angle and one with 30 degree. fill with water and place them back to back. shine your projector through it.
And "rainbow effect" will have a whole new meaning.

http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/lessons/.../em_prism.html

The index of refraction of water is too high for this use.

Panamorph's use an optical oil.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
If I were putting together one of these packageas myself, I would not skimp on the DIY panamorh. In fact, I wouldnt go with a Panamorph at all but an ISCO lens.

Andy K.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Morbius

The index of refraction of water is too high for this use.
Have you built one yet? It only takes a couple hours. Try using water, kerosene or opitical oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.