AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had my GoVideo (cheapo $150) DVD/VCR combo player that has progressive scan connected to my Infocus 4805. I thought the picture was pretty good (although I was probably more impressed with the screen size). I then bought the HQV DVD test disc to see how good it really was. Boy was I suprised!

It turns out that if I turned off the progressive scan feature on my DVD player, the picture looked TONS better. But now that I have a chance to buy a new DVD player, I was wondering if using a DVD player with Faroudja (Panasonic S77S) going through a projector would give me a better picture or is it just redundant and I should just stick to a good quality non-progressive scan DVD player.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The actual performance of the F chips do vary a bit from player to player, but you'd probably be better off just worrying about getting a good player. If the player happens to have an F chip, such as with the S77, then bonus - you can pick the one you think is tweaked the best - and if it doesn't, no real loss.

·
Registered
442 Posts
According to a member on another forum, the F chip in InFocus projectors are better tweaked/tuned than that in Denon 3910 (also using HQV tests). No idea whether S77 would be better or worse.

If your budget permits and if you can wait, Pioneer 59AVi (480i HDMI output) could be a very good idea. I wouldn't invest in 2 identical chips.

I have Pioneer 969 (59AVi in Asia) feeding a Philips DFR (F chip) via HDMI and then Lumagen scaler (DVDO chip) and to the Lumagen scaler direct via SDI. I can choose between Pioneer's own deinterlacing/scaling; or that from F chip or DVDO as I wish ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

This is going to sound wierd probably but when I'm using the projector to do the deinterlacing the fan sounds louder for some reason (maybe I'm just imagining things). Could it be that it's cooling off the chips that's doing a lot of work?

If that's the case, would a Faroudja-based DVD player off-load the "work load"? I would rather have to replace the DVD player than the projector if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm using the Faroudja Oppo player with the Infocus 4805 with Faroudja. Other than the fact that the Oppo uses faroudja, I chose it because it is region free, very responsive, no pixel cropping, good loader, good customer support, divx capability, pillarbox 4:3, and seamless layer change. Features you won't find in many dvd players in its price range.

One thing I noticed going from 480i with 4805's Faroudja vs Oppo is the responsiveness. You feel the delay of faroudja processing using a 480i dvd player (or any 480i content) such as changing tv channels, navigating dvd menus, or tv channel guides. Additionally, with 480i, there seems to be a slight border around the whole 480i image even with overscan on. I do get a slight border with the Oppo (due to an Oppo issue) but it can be fixed with overscan.

If it wasn't for the additional features of the Oppo, I would still be happy with the picture of a decent player at 480i with the 4805's Faroudja processing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
I'm using the Faroudja Oppo player with the Infocus 4805 with Faroudja. Other than the fact that the Oppo uses faroudja, I chose it because it is region free, very responsive, no pixel cropping, good loader, good customer support, divx capability, pillarbox 4:3, and seamless layer change. Features you won't find in many dvd players in its price range.
I was thinking about the Oppo but decided on the Panasonic because of the lip-syncing issues (although from the firmware update it looks like it's improved).

Also, do you experience any Macroblocking with the 4805/Oppo combo?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Never seen MB. I haven't had a lip sync problem caused by the Oppo either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
Never seen MB. I haven't had a lip sync problem caused by the Oppo either.
Well, I might have to buy the Oppo then! :D

I'm all for going with a smaller company like Oppo that takes care of you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just received the OPPO OPDV971H and have connected it up to my Samsung HLR 61" DLP HDTV (via DVI to HDMI cable). The audio is using the OPPO digital optical out to my Yamaha DSP-A1. The DVD has the factory version of the latest firmware (i.e. version 0624 .vs. 0628 -- the literature that came with the player said this was the factory version of the June 29 release). I changed the audio delay to the max 50msec.

We were watching "Saving Private Ryan" in DTS on 720P and noticed considerable lipsync right away. I downgraded resolution on the OPPO to 480P and the lipsync improved but was still there at times.

Aside from purchasing the Felton (sp?), is there another recommendation anyone has on (virtually) eliminating lipsync? Is this lipsync problem predominantly on certain DVD types (e.g. DTS, fast-action) or is resolution the main factor?

Very much appreciate your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.