AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The X1 has a PixelWorks chip and the Faroudja chip. We chose to use the Faroudja chip for deinterlacing because it does a much better job than PixelWorks does. We still use the PixelWorks chip for its other functions such as GUI, scaling, keystone correction, and color space conversion.

The paragraph above is from the X1 FAQ. So if the X1 requires a progressive signal, it is stilll not clear to me (after reading the above) if the Faroudja or Pixelworks is used to deinterlace the 1080i signal. I beleive a 1080i signal also needs to be scaled down to 800 x 600 progressive, correct? This would require both deinterlacing and scaling, correct?

Still confused after all these years.

Thanks much in advance for any constructive comments.

Ron

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Faroudja does deinterlacing on 480i/576i.

720p does not need to be de-interlaced.

1080i is probably bob'ed or scaled, with the fact that 1080i=540p and with only 450 lines of vertical resolution in 16:9 mode, each field can be displayed alone with only down sizing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I am not feeding my X1 a composite/S-Video signal or an interlaced DVD signal, my X1 does not have any technical benefits over the newer X1A without Faroudja, Correct?

Thanks Much for your clarification post.

Ron

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rrolsbe
So if I am not feeding my X1 a composite/S-Video signal or an interlaced DVD signal, my X1 does not have any technical benefits over the newer X1A without Faroudja, Correct?

Thanks Much for your clarification post.

Ron
Correct

·
Registered
128 Posts
Has anyone found any concrete evidence that the X1 uses Pixelworks for de-interlacing (not scaling) of 1080i signals?

The X1 FAQ is good but I'd like to see some documentation on what the X1 is doing, from Infocus if anyone has seen it.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyFace
Has anyone found any concrete evidence that the X1 uses Pixelworks for de-interlacing (not scaling) of 1080i signals?

The X1 FAQ is good but I'd like to see some documentation on what the X1 is doing, from Infocus if anyone has seen it.
Here's an excerpt I just noticed from the X1 service guide on the pixelworks and faroudja processing though it's a little vague and the sentence of interest is very poorly written it may help some.

"X1 Service Guide 75

Controller ECA Functions

A Pixelworks PW164B processor is responsible for control of the entire system as well as processing ofthe graphics and video data, including GUI insertion and rescaling to the DMD’s native SVGA resolution. The processor consists of an Intel 80C186 core CPU with on-chip peripherals including GPIO, Timers, UART, IR receiver logic, interrupt controller, and a 16-bit memory interface. The PW164B also includes video input and graphic input ports, a synchronization decoder and automatic image optimizer. The image data is processed and fed to an on-board frame buffer. The data is then scaled and the on-screen display information is laid over the image. The processor also supports color lookup-tables, color-space expansion, and keystone correction. The processor outputs all timing and image data required for the TI DLP driver logic. The processor's internal vertical and horizontal image scaler is bypassed; a Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer performs scaling. A voltage-controlled amplifier controls audio volume and balance.

System Memory

The Pixelworks processor is interfaced to a single 8Mbit word-wide FLASH memory for code storage, and a 32kbit serial EEPROM for unit-specific and dynamic data storage. The FLASH is attached to the PW164B’s word-wide memory interface. An EEPROM is also located on the DMD board. This EEPROM stores DMD and engine-specific data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.