AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the new integrated Mitsubishi Diamond RPTV's are capable of 960i.

If this is true, would it be possible to use a Faroudja scaler that would do 960p? What about 1080i to 1080p?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I'm not familiar with the new Mits lineup, but from the TV's perspective, 960i is the functional equivalent of 480p. 960i isn't an output option on any "normal" scaler I've ever seen...it's probably an internal scaling engine taking 480i to 960i vs. de-interlacing the 480i to 480p. Sony's DRC circuit does something similar.

I know of no RPTV that can handle 960p, much less 1080p...it fact, most can't even handle 720p. I think a few people with RPTVs who have gone the Faroudja route have opted for 540p output as a best match--still, you must remember that it's pretty rare to see someone mate an external scaler with a RPTV, so YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The RP5800 is a bit of a white elephant--isn't it a Runco (NEC OEM) with short throw lenses built for rear projection coupled with a VP-251? At $35K a pop, I doubt they ever sold many--that said, the spec sheet does indicate it will accept 1080p, so I stand corrected. Still, even on that set, the optimal viewing scenario was 480p, which is all the 251 could do.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Quote:
The multi-scan flexibility of the projector also allows for viewing all the proposed HDTV formats (480P, 720P and 1080I) in their native scan rates, and can be used with high scan rate computers.
So, according to the above link, it cannot display 1080p!

I remember the reviews of this grossly expensive beast were less that glowing. It's claim to fame was that it did 720p.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mike, read the specs again. It can scan all the way to 69kHz, 1080p scans at 67kHz.

So, it can display 1080p. I am not saying anyone would care to buy one, but they are out there.

I saw one in a high end A/V store about two years ago and the guy was selling it for $15,000. I am sure you could find one for less if you really cared to buy one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.