AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new AVR but the video is my priorety over the sound, and i'm trying to decide if should get an all in one AVR or step up for a seperate video processing unit. I found this thread that lists various AVR's and the scaler chips in them. I cant post the link cuz i dont have enough posts yet, but if you want to see the list go to the AMP's, Receivers, Processors subforum of the audio section and do a search for "AVR video processor list" it will be about the 15th on the results created by T2k.

I'm really interested in the HK AVR-254 as it seems to have a pretty good scaler chip in it at the price point (Faroudja Torino FLI30336 for about 400 USD)

I was wondering how that would stack up against a ABT2010 like in the DVDO Edge?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumkid /forum/post/15412993

I was wondering how that would stack up against a ABT2010 like in the DVDO Edge?

Probably very poorly, IMHO.

If nothing else, notice that the DCDi in the HK unit only (according to p. 7 of the user manual ) upscales and de-interlaces non-HDMI inputs. BTW, this is fairly typical of DCDi implementations with a few exceptions.

You will get better quality video with the DVDO, the only question is the 'better' quality worth the price of the EDGE? If you have a great display with excellent internal processing, the debate may be moot anyway.

(In my case I have DCDi processors in my old Oppo DVD player and my Sony receiver, and the DVDO VP50 in the stack far outshines both. YMMV.)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
bluechunks is right, the DCDi implementation in the cheaper AVRs can't compare to something like the ABT2010.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to a real full-blown Faroudja processor like the Cary cinema 11v - in case it gets ever released.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks /forum/post/15413827

Probably very poorly, IMHO.

If nothing else, notice that the DCDi in the HK unit only upscales and de-interlaces non-HDMI inputs.

(In my case I have DCDi processors in my old Oppo DVD player and my Sony receiver, and the DVDO VP50 in the stack far outshines both. YMMV.)

I will be upscaling non-hdmi inputs only so thats not a big problem in terms of the HK.

However thanks for the info about your set up and Fudoh about the Cary, you guys have been very helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh /forum/post/15413929

bluechunks is right, the DCDi implementation in the cheaper AVRs can't compare to something like the ABT2010.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to a real full-blown Faroudja processor like the Cary cinema 11v - in case it gets ever released.

did some more reading and it looks like the Cary cinema 11v uses a Faroudja torino FLI30436 chip for vid processing. I believe the Emotiva LMC-2 also uses this same chip. Can anyone comment on how either of those would stack up vs. the ABT2010 in a DVDO edge?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumkid /forum/post/15414989

I will be upscaling non-hdmi inputs only so thats not a big problem in terms of the HK.

In that event, one quick question: what type of display are you using?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.