AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sharp 65" 65DR650 coming to me in February and know that it has the Faroujda DCDI technology. Is this all I need for "upconversion" or do I also need an upcoverting DVD player? I've been considering the Oppo, but would hopefully be able to get something a little cheaper if I didn't need the Oppo for up-conversion.

If I shouldn't get the Oppo (because I don't need the upconversion from it), can someone recommend to me a good DVD player?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The Faroudja used by your display will take 480i dvd and deinterlace it and scale it to your tv's resolution of 1280x720 (720p). With a player like the Oppo, the player itself will take 480i dvd and deinterlace and scale it to 720p and your display will do no processing. The advantage with the Oppo here is that 480i dvd during this process stays in the digital domain, with no analog to digital or digital to analog conversion in the way which could degrade the picture quality a little.

If you opt for a non-upconverting dvd player, you will want a dvd player with a good mpeg decoder (ie. give good 480i output) and shows a nice clear and sharp picture. Many people recommend some of the older dvd players out there like the panaonic rp91 or xp30 but those are hard to come by. I dunno what would be a good choice thats readily available now. Oppo has a new model coming out that does 480i HMDI meaning it will keep the 480i signal digital to your display to do the processing with no analog/digital conversions needed. Not all HDMI/DVI inputs accept and/or properly process 480i so that is something you will need to check on.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
Yes, an upscaling player still makes sense for you. Use the search function to read more detail about why (Ja Phule already gave you one of the reasons - no D-A conversion needed). I prefer to let the upscaling player output do the scaling to the native resolution of your display.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I agree with the 2 members above..most of us that have tried upscaling players become believers.

The Oppo is a good choice IF your Sharp isn't prone to Macroblocking (you mention it uses DCDI which sends up a flag for me). I have a Sammie DLP that also uses DCDI and, unfortunately, will show MB. Ask other owners of the Sharp for clarification on this. Perhaps the upcoming Oppo won't have this issue; if it does, there are other players that are MB-free. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
If your new display will be able to take a 480i HDMI input, you might want to wait and buy a player in Feb.

Oppo is rumored to have a 480i HDMI output model 970 in the works. That might be a little cheaper than the current 971 and may be very competitive.

I might note over in one of the Ruby threads,AVS member Levesque has said the 79avi feeding a 1080i HDMI signal looked better than a 480i HDMI. I mention this because the Ruby is said to have a very good deinterlacing/scaling package onboard.

You should wait unless you could use a new player now. The time between now and Feb could offer many new alternatives for your consideration.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's responses. I'll check back at the end of January/beginning of February.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, my TV arrives today and I'm going to need a nice DVD player to go with it. Any suggestions? Do I go with an upconverting or a non-upconverting (see beginning of thread for why I'm asking). Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll bump this one more time to see if I can get anyone's attention.

Anyone? Good DVD Player recommendations? Should I still go with the Oppo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshrac55
Good DVD Player recommendations? Should I still go with the Oppo?
Yes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks. I actually snapped on a few minutes ago because of a decent 5% off deal going on... I'm just hoping it will come with the DVI to HDMI cable.

Thanks for confirming my purchase!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I just wanted to say thanks because I got my Oppo and popped in "The Two Towers: Extended Edition" and all I can say is WOW!

I mean, I know it couldn't have taken much to surpass the downright terrible playback of my PS2, but I really did not expect it to look so damn good and clear.

My only gripe is that I got it from Amazon (because of a 10% off deal and some gift certificates I had there, along with free shipping), and despite several users saying they got the DVI to HDMI cable with it and pictures of the new remote, I got an old version that had the old remote and, presumably, an old firmware (which I will upgrade soon), and of course, no DVI to HDMI cable. I had to spend an extra $30 at Radioshack just to get the converter I needed... I may still try to get Oppo or Amazon to send me the cable.

In any case, I have only tested it with 1 DVD so far, but I was completely blown away. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
If the box states a cable inside, then complain to amazon and have them send you one. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:
and of course, no DVI to HDMI cable. I had to spend an extra $30 at Radioshack just to get the converter I needed

You could have went to monoprice.com and picked up a DVI to HDMI cable for less than $6.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95
You could have went to monoprice.com and picked up a DVI to HDMI cable for less than $6.
Of course I could have, but then I would've had to wait for the stuff to ship to me. =)

I think I may actually order one of those though, and maybe even an adapter. Then I can bring this adapter back to Radioshack (or just deal with it).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Of course I could have, but then I would've had to wait for the stuff to ship to me. =)
They ship very fast. Only two days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.