AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK call me stupid but wtf am I doing wrong.

This weekends project is to take the kids playroom out of the analog age and bring it up to snuff. I bought them a LG 1080P 42 inch flat screen and up-dated their Fios box to HD. I also bought a Sony BD mega changer to put in my rack for the theater which I wish to share with the playroom. I never install anything without testing it first so the LG, Fios box and Sony mega changer are hooked up on the floor. Fios is connected directly to HDMI-1 and the mega changer to HDMI-2. With both sources running I get about a 10 second black screen when I switch back and forth. When I started thinking about this project, I was only worried about what would happen when I attempted to "share" the mega changer with the playroom. How the hell are guys getting "instant" switching on complex installations when I can't get it with three devices directly connected on the floor? Why don't these retain the "handshake" in this setup?

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/18132656

. . . Fios is connected directly to HDMI-1 and the mega changer to HDMI-2. With both sources running I get about a 10 second black screen when I switch back and forth. . .

. . .How the hell are guys getting "instant" switching on complex installations when I can't get it with three devices directly connected on the floor? Why don't these retain the "handshake" in this setup?

What you are experiencing is "Normal" behavior within a HDMI setup. Authentication must take place every single time you switch from one HDMI source to another to ensure there are no unauthorized recording devices between the source and display.

In regards to fast switching, the only product I am aware of that does this is Crestrons Digital Media (DM) system. Crestrons DM system takes all the sources and does a "pre-authorization" by managing all the key within the DM system so when you switch from one source to another the DM system passes the key. You can read about my Crestron DM Install and see how I have it set up. Switching takes 3 seconds max depending on the source. For example Wii is pretty much instant while Kaleidescape takes 3 seconds.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Atmosphere /forum/post/18135120

i like this for hdmi video switching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uTX3t4VLg

That appears to be the JustAddPower solution. I mention that only because the video evidently wants it to be a secret, and they don't even tell you what they are using.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Atmosphere /forum/post/18135120

i like this for hdmi video switching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uTX3t4VLg

The Just Add Power system is a video switching solution, but not a true HDMI solution. It uses the lossy Motion JPEG 2000 compression standard to encode the video, and has only stereo audio support. The only part of the system that could be considered an HDMI transport scheme is its support for a protected content path via HDCP, as well as EDID.

It is however a very convenient system for digital signage displays, and could a nice solution in a residential application for smaller displays (

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did read someplace that the Just add power solution does look quite bad on a large screen. If so, that would not work for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have seen the J.A.P system on 60" plasmas/ lcds/ projectors etc etc it looks fine.. it comes down to the type of processing the display has.. example a side by side comparison in the video is a pioneer elite and a samsung plasma.. the pioneer would show motion issues the samsung would not .. they are both the same size

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Besides the larger LCD/Plasma monitors, we have also had users with large projection screens (110" plus) report good results with HDMI over IP. With the current HDMI over IP devices, the results are dictated by the characteristics of the make/model screen or projector involved. This is because of the dependence on the preferred resolution reported by the EDID in the monitor. We hope to overcome this in a future version of HDMI over IP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These switch stupid fast. I saw them at CEDIA and from what ive learned they have a chip on each port that maintains the HDCP keys even when that device is not selected. a switch is really as fast as a extron matrix doing analog lol (well pretty close) they were showing it useing a sony bluray and a apple TV. $$$ but great!!

http://www.crestron.com/products/sho...t=1349&id=1680

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkoontz3 /forum/post/18158801

These switch stupid fast. I saw them at CEDIA and from what ive learned they have a chip on each port that maintains the HDCP keys even when that device is not selected. a switch is really as fast as a extron matrix doing analog lol (well pretty close) they were showing it useing a sony bluray and a apple TV. $$$ but great!!

http://www.crestron.com/products/sho...t=1349&id=1680

The Crestron DM units are the fastest out there that I have seen/used but nowhere near as fast as an Extron doing analog. An Extron doing analog is instantaneous. The crestron devices are anywhere from a 1/2 second to 3 seconds depending upon (I am presuming) the HDCP handshake.

I'm wondering the the spatz EDID boxes inline will perhaps remove some of that handshake and give you faster switching. I have one but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A member over at the Crestron Yahoo group posted his findings on the Just Add Power products and here is what he had to say about JAP and Fast Switching.

Quote:
In [email protected] , [email protected] wrote:

The system switches extremely fast, faster then a PVID with one caveat: If

the source you are calling for is not engaged by a display already, a 8 to 12 second HDMI Key acquistion sequence takes place. Very similiar to

standard HDMI switchers from Gefen ( I have been bitten by them as well) others.

You can read his post regarding Just Add Power and what he encountered HERE . Scroll down about half way.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We had an HDMI over IP dealer in the UK uncover a way to eliminate the occasional "idle source" delay in HDMI over IP switching. They simply have installed an extra HDMI over IP Receiver in the rack for each source. This keeps every source active 24/7, for those customers not wanting to ever see a wake up the source delay. Yes, it costs more, but we have plenty of dealers with customers that are willing and wanting to pay for the luxury. If you don't want the delay, you now have a choice.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can not force the flat screen to switch any faster than it does. However I have solved the switching delay in my theater. I use a CRT projector which requires some type of HDMI solution. The original setup involved a 4X1 HDMI switcher to one HD Fury adapter. That was the problem. I took the switcher out and put a HD Fury on the output of each source. The output of each Fury to the input of a NEC ISS RGBHV switcher. Now I'm down to about a 1 second switch. It does the handshake at power up and stays that way until power down no matter what source you are viewing. I think that 1 second switch can be less if I drop the IR control for the switcher and do it RS-232. When you use IR and press a input button, the number of the input slot flashes on the fron panel 2 times befor it switches. If you walk up to the switcher and press a hard button associated with a input, the switch is instant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.