AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went with an LCD projector (Z3) since I'm one of those unfortunate people that can see rainbows really easily and it drives me nuts. Other than that small problem I really preferred the picture on the Optoma H31 as I was just watching DVDs, nothing HD.

So are there any 4805 / H31 type projectors coming out soon that have wheels faster than 4x? I was hoping if they made it up to 6x or 8x I would be able to switch.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I believe the 480p toshiba mt200 has a 5x wheel along with the 720p dlps Toshiba mt700 and Benq 7700.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked but I expect the 720 DLPs to be a bit out of my price range. The MT200 looks interestng. Since my Z3 is out of its return period, and I have it all set up and like it well enough I probably won't bother with just a 5x. (Although who knows, that could be just the line I need to cross.)

Do I understand correctly that the wheel speed is the number of full RGB "frames" per 60Hz (or 50Hz) frame or is it the number of full revolutions? Is a 4x wheel with 6 segments displaying 4 or 8 times per frame?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I believe it is 4. IIRC, the color wheel actually makes 2 revolutions each time, but is considered 4x since the color wheel is 6 segments, 2 of each rgb.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe the Panasonic TV has an 8 speed color wheel, but that's TV not front projector.

I would expect color wheels to max out at 6-8 and then see 3-chip DLPs move in to more main stream.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
An 8x color wheel will get the rainbows down to half the width of what you see with a 4x color wheel.

At 8x, the DLP chips have to change in and out of 8 reds, 8 greens, and 8 blues (and perhaps 4 clear or black & white) sub-images in sequence, every 1/60'th of a second.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pkunk

I bought the H31 (4X speed colour wheel) and found the rainbow effect to be quite bothersome. So I then bought the Toshiba MT-200 with its 5X speed colour wheel. Unfortunately, I see no difference in the rainbow effect with the higher speed wheel. I will have to switch to an LCD projector too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.