AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what BD ROM or Writer everyone else is using at rip their Blu Ray Disks. I have an LG 4x (I think) and it takes about 45-55 mins to rip a 2 hour BD. I rip them to 2 older 10k 73GB WD Raptors in RAID0.

I am looking for faster rip times without spending tons of money on a new BD ROM/RW

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd /forum/post/19623051

Just wondering what BD ROM or Writer everyone else is using at rip their Blu Ray Disks. I have an LG 4x (I think) and it takes about 45-55 mins to rip a 2 hour BD. I rip them to 2 older 10k 73GB WD Raptors in RAID0.

I am looking for faster rip times without spending tons of money on a new BD ROM/RW

your BD rom is the limiting factor. Nothing short of a newer faster BD Drive will change that.

Sean

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/19628277

your BD rom is the limiting factor. Nothing short of a newer faster BD Drive will change that.

Sean

This I know. i was looking for some incite as to what others are using and the amount of time it taks to rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker /forum/post/19628402

I have LG 10X reader. Rips fast with reliable reads. Quiet drive.

What is the model number?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The LG 10X BD-ROM models:

CH10LS20 or UH10LS20 - Basically the same model with the former being targeted for the retail consumers and the latter for OEMs. The drives will go around $60 on-sale.

I have the CH10LS20 and with the rip-lock removed using MediaCodeSpeedEdit and the appropriate LG firmware image , the drive will read BD-ROM single layer at 10X and BD-ROM dual layer at 8X. With rip-lock, the drive is limited to 4X speed. For dual layer BD discs, the average read rate is 5X-6X since no drive will read the entire disc at the max rate.

Another possibility if you do not want to deal with rip-lock is the Lite-On iHBS112 12X BD burner. However, it will only read BD-ROM (single & dual layer) at 8X.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been reading many are using LG drives for fast ripping. However, they come with riplock installed by the factory which limits the read speed. You have to reflash the drives with different firmware to unleash the beast.

The model number for the reader is UH10LS20 and for the burner is WH10LS30K.

I dont have one yet, but plan to very soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Also be careful using Memorex media with LG's.

for some reason they can often burn coasters for BD's when using Memorex media.

as always your mileage may vary but that's my my experience along with friends.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte /forum/post/19630276

CH10LS20 or UH10LS20 - Basically the same model with the former being targeted for the retail consumers and the latter for OEMs. The drives will go around $60 on-sale.

I have the CH10LS20 and with the rip-lock removed using MediaCodeSpeedEdit and the appropriate LG firmware image , the drive will read BD-ROM single layer at 10X and BD-ROM dual layer at 8X. With rip-lock, the drive is limited to 4X speed. For dual layer BD discs, the average read rate is 5X-6X since no drive will read the entire disc at the max rate.

Another possibility if you do not want to deal with rip-lock is the Lite-On iHBS112 12X BD burner. However, it will only read BD-ROM (single & dual layer) at 8X.

cool but in real practice how long does it take to rip a movie?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte /forum/post/19630276

Thanks for the info. I am mostly interested in ripping my collection to iso then burning to a BD-R. The 10X Lite On seems promising

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/19630582

cool but in real practice how long does it take to rip a movie?

Ripping to ISO without decrypting (exact image of disc):

30 minutes for dual layer

12 minutes for single layer

This is a general average for me. Decrypting is a whole different story since my machine is only a dual P3.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dav /forum/post/19632834

Can you do that? Without need for AnyDVDHD?

Yes. I use ImgBurn and select the create an ISO from disc option. ImgBurn will give a warning about the disc being protected, but you can proceed to create the ISO image of the disc.

My understanding is that BD discs do not contain the structural protection like DVDs, and so you can make an exact image of the discs. Of course you would still need to decrypt the image before being able to use it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Not in my case. I have the LG CH10LS20 as well, with riplock removed via MCSE. I find the Lite-On iHBS112 a faster ripper, but it does have problems with some retail BDs on occasion (very few, but still), which is why I still keep the LG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.