AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what the fastest CPU is which can be used without a fan, although a heatsink is acceptable of course.

It seems like the Celeron 1.7 ghz is the slowest CPU that I can find which anybody actually sells. I remember having a Celeron 500mhz at my last job and it did not have a CPU fan, but I assume that the later processors are more heat efficient. Unfortunately I haven't seen anybody selling processors with just heatsinks on them :(

My quest is to build a silent PC, not just a "really quiet" PC. A fanless power supply could be used and the CPU is the only other fan required assuming that the case does not need a fan. Maybe I could find a highly vented case?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I successfully ran P4 1.6 without a fan with Zalman's copper "Flower" heatsink and Arctic Silver3. I was about 120F, 7F more than with Zalman's 90mm fan that comes with that HS set to the lowest speed. Since I am quite happy with just "quiet", not "silent" HTPC and cannot hear any difference sitting 6 ft from my HTPC fan or not, I use it with fan.

I read somewhere that P4 processors 2GHz and more were used without fans. P4 thermal management circuitry makes such experiments really safe.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My HTPC also doubles as my work PC, so that is why I want it silent. For watching movies, it was okay having regular silent fans running.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
I use a Celeron 566 with no fan. These can still be found on the net and cost under $40. Go to pricewatch and type in Celeron 566.

There are no fans in my HTPC.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my p4 1.6a overclocked to about 2 GHz with just an Alpha PAL8942. Running 90 - 100% it topped out at about 55 C (~130 F). However, my apartment's ambient temperature was probably only 55 F and the PS fan would have been drawing air over the heatsink. I'm confident you could run it at 1.6 without fan under most circumstances depending on your ambient temps.

Jon Harris

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
There are no fans in my HTPC.

Good Luck,

Brian
Which power supply are you using? The one found on www.siliconacoustics.com? I wonder if this one could be made to work with a P4 (it doesn't have the connectors).

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if this one could be made to work with a P4 (it doesn't have the connectors).
Grab an adapter like this: http://coolerstar.com/atxpowadfori.html

If you can find it locally, you can save postage since shipping costs as much as the cable.

Jim

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pultzar
It seems like the Celeron 1.7 ghz is the slowest CPU that I can find which anybody actually sells.

My quest is to build a silent PC, not just a "really quiet" PC. A fanless power supply could be used and the CPU is the only other fan required assuming that the case does not need a fan.
I have a HTPC with a socket 478 Celeron 1.7GHz and the fan that came with the boxed Intel chip is inaudible with the case on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lol.... I can hear the stock fan that comes with the retail Celeron 1.7 from across the room! (In an airtight coolermaster case).

I use a Zalman, with the accompanying fan set to its lowest RPM. Now that's prety quiet!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't forget that VIA has a CPU out as well, dubbed the C3.

This little sucker only puts out 13W of heat at 1GHz, which is about 1/3 that of the celeron. Therefore, you can use a passive cooler with it. Performance is on par with the Celeron 1.3GHz CPU.

My supplier lists the 933MHz version at right around $50. Not bad bang for the buck without a lot of noise. Perfect for a HTPC if you're not going to be playing games on it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You could also buy a pretty quick processor and underclock the heck out of it. Just bump it down to a 66mhz bus speed. Depending on the processor, you might not need a fan. It'll be expensive but also silent. A 2400mhz P4 at the 66mhz bus speed is 1200mhz.

Tom

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kanicker
lol.... I can hear the stock fan that comes with the retail Celeron 1.7 from across the room! (In an airtight coolermaster case).
There must be something wrong with the fan or the installation, then. Of course, I do use an Intel motherboard that does true fan-speed control of the CPU fan, which means it's running at far less than full RPM. It even allows the fan to stop if it is cool enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very cool tidbit about the Intel motherboards. I didn’t know they adjusted fan voltage.

But there is nothing wrong with the installation. I've installed several of them due to their ridiculously low price at Fry's Electronics. I just have very acute hearing.

Does anyone else have experience underclocking the new Celeron? I'd like to give it a shot, but would prefer to draw from the experience of others beforehand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's not much to underclocking. Depending on the CPU speed depends on what you can do. Some Celery's work at 66MHz FSB, some at 100MHz. If you have a 100MHz flavor, you set your motherboard to 66MHz, and you're done.

Exactly HOW you do that would depend on the board. Most (90%) of the new ones all do it in BIOS. Otherwise it's a jumper you'd have to set on the MoBo.

Then you'd just have to monitor the tempature to make sure it didn't go too high for the CPU.

·
Registered
603 Posts
 http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02...605/index.html

Basically says 1ghz C3 is close to a 666mhz Celeron. The C3 cannot do cpu intensive stuff well though, like decoding or encoding video. I had a 800mhz C3 and it played DVD's ok with HWMC on. DIVX stuttered constantly.

Tom

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have an Alpha cooler on a 1.6G P4 (1.6A). I am not sure how much cooler the Celeron is.

Given the newer manufacturing process is so much more effecient, you don't save much money or heat by using the P3.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm really surprised no one uses peltier coolers anymore. I had one a while back on a P2 and it ran really well. It was always so cold when I touched it. They're not in that high of demand anymore so they're pretty cheap on Ebay. You can probably just get away with the peltier without the fan. It will make no noise whatsoever. If anyone tries this let me know. Thanks.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.