AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not test this but I have heard the Panny E85 hard drive can hi speed dub a one hour program at xp original record in 15 minutes to a DVD-R. True? That would be very quick if so- The Panny E-80 takes around 54-56 minutes. Can any other hard drive standalones do this? - The new 520 Pio?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Houston,

The dubbing speed is determined by a) the speed of the DVD writer, and b) the quality level. Panny E80 has a 2x DVD writer, IIRC. The Panasonic E85 uses a 4x DVD writer, IIRC. Thus, given an identical quality recording, the E85 will record to DVD twice as fast.

Obviously, one hour at 3Mbps will burn twice as fast as one hour at 6Mbps. Quality settings vary from vendor to vendor and product to product.

When manufacturers quote burn speeds in their marketing literature, they typically do so for the lowest possible quality setting. Burning at 3Mbps (lower quality setting) on a 4x DVD recorder will be 4x as fast as 6Mbps (higher quality setting) on a 2x DVD recorder.

Some of the newest DVD burners are shipping with 12x and 16x DVD drives -- which could burn a full DVD in about five minutes -- assuming their software actually supports those speeds. Of course, 12x/16x disk media is more expensive too.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Well there you go, that explains it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Speed also depends on the DVD-R media. I have HS copied 45minute (shortened TV shows) at 12mins minimum (Ritek), up to about 20 mins for Leda.

Also, finishing was 2 mins for the Ritek and 4 mins for the Leda.

[Also, Leda didn't play well in my Panny RP91.]

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Speed also depends on the DVD-R media. I have HS copied 45minute (shortened TV shows) at 12mins minimum (Ritek), up to about 20 mins for Leda.
Speed only differs between two pieces of media when one media is of sufficient quality to use the higher speed of the DVD writer, and the other media isn't. There is no benefit to 8x media over 4x media on a 2x DVD writer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.