AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I realize this isn't a very active forum anymore since the downfall of HD DVD from being abandoned by the sudios and major manufacturers, but I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me here.

I just returned form overseas and am wanting to go through my collection I haven't been able to use to check for disc rot and get rid of the ones that don't work. I have a couple hundred discs (some duplicates and multiples from being given to me as gifts or purchased in a package buy) and 3 Toshiba HD-XA2 players (prob need to sell a couple of them since they're just collecting dust now).

What's the fastest way to check each disk to make sure it plays properly?

Can you just fast forward through it and it will catch the errors or do they all need to be played at regular speed?

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The best (only?) way to check for unreadable spots on your discs is to rip them onto a PC--if anything can't be read the process will halt.

Scanning/skipping doesn't work as you might scan/skip over a bad spot.

Even watching a disc at regular speed all-the-way through might not reveal rot because the player might adjust for some minor anomalies, which a PC wants every single bit perfect.

Of course, you'll have to have an HD-DVD computer drive to do this.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laserfan! I actually have the X-BOX HD-DVD player add on I've used years ago that was able to connect to my old laptop. Since then I've bought a new one and haven't tested to see if it still works.

What program (hopefully free) would work to do this?

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982  /t/1471494/fastest-way-to-check-for-disc-rot/0_100#post_23283390

Thanks Laserfan! I actually have the X-BOX HD-DVD player add on I've used years ago that was able to connect to my old laptop. Since then I've bought a new one and haven't tested to see if it still works.

What program (hopefully free) would work to do this?

I believe DVDFab Passkey (there is a free version) and AnyDVDHD (not free) still support reading/ripping HD-DVDs.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Well you should be able to RIP the disk with anything you want e.g. ImgBurn or trial AnyDVDHD, and if you get no "read errors" you're golden. If you actually want to WATCH the rip-on-PC then you might need a decrypter (though not if you use e.g. Arcsoft TMT 3 or 5) but that's a totally separate issue.

There's a free program called IsoPuzzle which I use for suspect disks--it will keep trying to read "unreadable" sectors forever if you let it, though it will do a cool-down periodically too to save your drive. You can also stop the rip at any point and move the disc to another drive (to see if it might work better) retaining all the data it's recovered so far. Doesn't work for all bad discs, but I've had some very good success with "questionable" discs and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Thank you for those notes, Laserfan. I need to test/copy all of my HD DVDs eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.