AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any significant advantage for using either FAT32 or NTFS in an XP HTPC? Which one do most people use? BTW, my system is a gaming system also.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks E vey. Great link.

I am currently running Fat32, per my local computer store's "expert" advice, but I am having file curruption problems. If I backup all my document files, then reformat the drive under NTFS and reinstall my programs, will I have any trouble copying the backed-up document files to the NTFS system since they were originally on a Fat32 drive?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news about the file transfers. I figured it wouln't be a problem, but I wanted to ask.

I am running 400 watt PS and I do have a battery back-up. I actually lost my CPU and MB about six weeks after I built the system due to a bad PS-fried the board; I could actually smell smoke!! The file curruption has primarily occurred during a few times when the system has frozen and automatically rebooted. Your PS comments are interesting. I had considered going to a Zalman 300 watt PS for noise reduction. Xcel seems to think 300 watts would be ok, but I wondered if it would be enough for all I have on the system. I know I am getting off-topic here, but do you have a recommendation for a quiet 400 watt PS?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
>The file curruption has primarily occurred during a few times when the system has frozen and automatically rebooted.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I fully agree re the UPS - not only for the computer, but also for the proj. I don't know your system, but you should protect any electronics with UPS.

Also, you should use the highest wattage PS for any computer - power problems are the hardest to resolve and the more expansion cards you use will draw more power.

One last note - never, ever let the smoke out of any electronic equipment! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SCM
I am currently running Fat32, per my local computer store's "expert" advice, but I am having file curruption problems.
Sounds like a real "expert nerd" :)

Don't believe all they tell you.
Quote:
If I backup all my document files, then reformat the drive under NTFS and reinstall my programs, will I have any trouble copying the backed-up document files to the NTFS system since they were originally on a Fat32 drive?
You don't have to reformat your drive to make it NTFS. Just run CONVERT command (command line command) and it will convert FAT32 to NTFS.

Backing up everything before doing this is recommended because as we all know everything is possible and accidents do happend.

·
Registered
674 Posts
different version of FAT (FAT16). The original FAT would only support a partition of 2GB in size (not very useful for much these days) although in XP you can get that up to 4GB, whoopdidoo.

FAT 32 is capable of creating partitions up to 2 terabytes (2000 GB), maximum file size of 4GB, who has files that are larger than 4GB (DIVX encoded Gandhi?)

Link to the evil empire's comparison of NTFS, FAT16, and FAT32

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:
maximum file size of 4GB, who has files that are larger than 4GB
Well I do, for one. I record TV shows with an MJPEG codec at quality level 18. This produces ~8 gig files for a 1 hour show. They're excellent quality, though! :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
wow, hmm lessee 120GB drive for $109 about $1 a GB, 8 GB for a 1 hour show = $8 for the recording. Interesting....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Actually, I have one of them new-fangled read/write hard drives. I can reuse that 8 gig for another show! ;) $0 for the recording.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tk

Just run CONVERT command (command line command) and it will convert FAT32 to NTFS.
tk,

Can you give me a little more detail in how to do this conversion? I pretty ignorant of command line commands, but I'm learning!:D

As far as the computer store "expert nerd", you're right on there. This was my first attempt at building a system from the ground up, so I thought I needed a little hand holding--which I probably did. But, I've quickly learned that they are clueless when it comes to HTPC, and I even question some of their expertise for regular computers. Looking back, though, I am amazed at how much I've learned over the last six months!! And MOST of that is a direct result on THIS forum!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SCM

As far as the computer store "expert nerd", you're right on there. This was my first attempt at building a system from the ground up, so I thought I needed a little hand holding--which I probably did. But, I've quickly learned that they are clueless when it comes to HTPC, and I even question some of their expertise for regular computers.
This guy could certainly be an idiot (NTFS is a must), but he may have been defending himself from the "why can't I access my files from this DOS bootdisk" question. ;)

I sometimes practice "self defense" when it comes to tech support questions myself!

I agree, this forum is an excellent resource.

Brian

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SCM
I know I am getting off-topic here, but do you have a recommendation for a quiet 400 watt PS?
PC Power & Cooling

These guys seem to be the "gold standard" in power supplies.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
FAT 32 is capable of creating partitions up to 2 terabytes (2000 GB), maximum file size of 4GB, who has files that are larger than 4GB (DIVX encoded Gandhi?)
While it is true that FAT32 is capable of this, the real world application is another story.

Which following OS can create FAT32 partitions >32GB??: WinXP, Win2K, and/or Mac OS X

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Only Mac OS X can

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the help. I made the conversion w/o a problem, and it didn't even take that long!!

One thing to mention that the MS guide doesn't warn about. If you are attempting to convert a volume with an active program, ie with XP on it, the program will not proceed. It will give an option to force dismount the drive. I chose No, then was given the option to schedule the conversion at the next start-up, which I chose. This worked perfect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.