AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MoleHole v1: Sony HW40ES, 128.5” Spandex Screen and Screen Wall Build Thread

Just want to thank everyone on this forum for all the hard work you do to and knowledge you share. And thanks to my pops for all the help in this process, love ya

Speaker/Subs/Amp build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2139482-father-son-diy-ht-diysg-fusion8-volt6-icepower-amp-htpc-jlw7s-build.html

Backstory (skip if easily bored)

So my quest for display perfection started when I owned my first LCD TV, I hated it. Honestly the motion blur was abysmal, the blacks were grey, all in all I would have rather had my old CRT back than to deal with this nonsense. So I started working my first real job, got my first real bonus, and bought my first real TV. A 50” 5020 Kuro, I was now a plasma snob like the rest of you idiots. Now I was still living at my parents at the time, sitting all of 6 feet away from this thing, and it was freaking amazing. It followed me to my apt bedroom, again, sitting all of now 6.5 feet away from this monster. Few years back bought a house, added another Kuro along the way (an elite 50” 101FD, monitor only), and posted it up in my living room, sitting now 16 feet away and it looked like I stuck a sticky note to the wall….ugh. That all started the itch…now it was time to scratch it

My house is a split ranch, walk in stairs go up and down. The basement has a bathroom, and one big open space attached to the garage. There is a fireplace down there that I’ve used all of 3 times since owning the home for almost 4 years now, so I wanted an excuse to use that space. Cue HT project, and nights of endless reading on these damn forums for ideas, reviews, and biased opinions…the usual

Once I learned you could DIY an acoustically transparent screen, I knew this was the way to go. I’ve always read that the center channel on its side is terrible for the sound dispersion, and without going with a WTMW design leaves more to be desired. I had already decided that I wanted a way to use a LCR setup and did not want a horizontal speaker. Then I also realized the best way to maximize my screen size in my space was to do AT. I’d thank you all for all the lovely research on the spandex (milli vs mole) and acoustic properties and for those who did all the past builds in choosing the right wood and support structures. And so it was so, ordered up 3 yards of white and silver (each) and was on my way

BORRRRINGGGG, let’s move on to the build stuff:

PROJECTOR: As you’ve possibly read above, I’m a plasma snob, I enjoy inky blacks and vibrant colors (in reality who doesn’t). I was willing to invest a few bucks (no more than 3k) and after much research and reading opinions between the Epson and Sony, I landed on the Sony. I know it’s not the leader in blacks, and honestly lacked on the light output, I valued the technology more than anything. My friend used to own a DLP and I couldn’t STAND the rainbow effect. The LCD panels in the Epson had me worried for both the screen door effect and sloppy motion blur. My father had owned an older rear projection SXRD that we retired not long ago, and I loved how it handled motion. I do a lot of sports and movies, and cannot stand motion blur. Plus I saw JVC (who maybe when I hit the lotto I would purchase) also used a modified Lcos technology in their projectors and they are some of the best on the market. So I went with the Sony, and honestly have not been disappointed. Grabbed one off of Ebay for about sixteen hundy with my Amex (provides some minimal protection through my card) and here we are.

SCREEN: so we spent like 1:30 at HD just milling over our screen frame design. we ended up landing on 1x3 poplar on edge with two vertical posts on flat. I also have been trying to determine which spandex combo i wanted to pursue, and went with silver over white, which as i've stated in another thread i was hoping would help with the Sonys blacks and ease the transition from the Kuro

SCREENWALL: so I brought my note pad which had all my dimensions and chicken scratch on it over to my father, who looked at me like I was an idiot (as dads should) and we started designing. Originally I wanted to go with something like this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/837848-minimalist-approach-screen-wall-3.html (thank you BIGmouthinDC for all the build threads and the wonderful information you share) It was a two vertical poles with a cross section. Well this was a basement and concrete floors, and the speakers only needed about 10” from the wall, so my father kept pointing it out that this was not necessary.

Another thread idea: http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2222444/4/46/46ba7505_DSC_0422.jpeg

Landed closer to this: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1508600-phoenix-theater-build-thread-28.html

Ultimately, we ended up just hitting some studs with the blocks, extended some arms to support a cross member, then we affixed some homemade cleats to it, then two posts that line up with the middle supports to keep it vertical. Really simple, ended up returning like $80 worth of poplar to HD with the new design.

FINAL EQUIPMENT CHECK:

Denon 2310ci (few years old, but still gets the job done, looking into a DIY 5ch AMP in near future)
Sony HW40ES
3xFusion 8 Alchemy (LCR)
2xVolt 6s (SUR)
HTPC (i3 4330, 8GB, Intel 530 SSD) – win7, WMC, PlexHT (likely moving to jRiver)
JL10w7 powered by a 500ASP
JL8W7 powered by a 500A –not hooked up just yet (burned the 250a during the build…oops….purchased a 500a to replace it for future proofing)

Hope you enjoy the pics

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Week 1 (8/15) - less than a month away from football

So most of this started with wanting to use the basement space that currently housed, well crap. so i figured it only made sense to slap a massive screen down there

Got it cleaned out a bit, DIYSG speakers had just arrived, see other build thread for those

THE PLAN:

8/13 - the projector arrived, with less than a month to get it up and running for kick off weekend, we needed to start hitting the gas

Got err off ebay, wanted to verify that the darn thing worked, so I threw it on the wall upstairs to make sure i didnt get a bunk one

My friend Jon cutting out the hole in the wall where the projector is going

hole cut, the wall we are hitting is a shared wall between the downstairs bathroom/laundry room. if you're restroom shy probably should use one of the upstairs bathrooms, ha...(PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE PENGUIN THROW)

View from the back side, hit perfectly into another wall, just my luck, there was also a cabinet where that ugly yellow muck is, that was painted at a later time

Components also went back here, the gap between the little utility closet and the wall was exactly 19", which if i'm not mistaken is exactly what a rack width is as well, finally got something going my way! i should probably now look to own something that would actually benefit from this...

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We get it, I dont care about your house, let's see the damn screen

ok, sorry for boring you, onto the screen!

so big mole came over one day while i was still working, some banging clanking and BOOM, next thing i know there was a massive screen frame....so apologies for not having any pics during this process, which he jammed out in like 1:30

So with the frame built, there was a lot of back and forth on how the masking system would be implemented as well as the frame hung from the wall. once big mole realized we only needed 10" of clearance, all the above ideas (which were a great help) didn't really make much sense

Went out and got a laser level, big mole was looking for every excuse to use that, if it could open a beer i'm sure he would have tried to figure out a way to do that for him. This was just a 1x3 poplar board that we jammed into all the studs along the wall

Here's a shot of how we planned on getting the speakers mounted behind the screen, got a shot of big mole walking through all the ways we can hang this frame. the stands were hand built from some old particle board and some 1x3 poplar we had left over from the frame cuts. Did some angled cuts to it sit flush to the wall, yay math!

So here's where we landed. went and grabbed some cheap 2x3 board, cut them down into little 4" long blocks. Popped them into 4 studs.

Then we took the 2x3 and ripped off ~9" long blocks and affixed that to the side of the stud blocks....theres that damn laser level again

Then, to avoid having to have all the studs line up with the appropriate mounting locations on the frame, we slapped a 1x3 piece of poplar across the face of the arms off the wall

Then we made some little cleats made from wood, and hit four points on the frame (each corner, and the two vertical supports)

Took some of the left over 1x3 poplar to hit the backside of the vertical support to keep the frame level vertically (which clearly it wasn't in this pic)

my $10 lamp got busted....oh, and there's a screen wall! time to have a spandex party!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Spandex party!

So it's time to stretch the spandex, again, decided on grey over white. the spandex came in a box, not on a roll. i had seen people who sent theirs back because of this, but its completely unnecessary. once the spandex was stretched, you couldnt tell at all, not a single wrinkle or line in the material whatsoever.

I'm sorry for everyone that has to do this alone, we literally got this done in line 45m with two people, Threw a couple of staples in on the corners, then we worked from the middle outward, stapled every 2" or so. when we got to the corners we pulled out the staples and reshot them down

and after about 45m, a screen was born....

then we sat and watched some movies in silence....was pretty awesome. pre-tweaking of all the proj settings, so not an accurate representation of the screen just yet

on to the masking system. i went out and purchased some triple velvet from SyFabrics. We ripped down a 1x2 piece of poplar long wise so we ended up with a really long thin piece of wood. stapled the fabric to it, and shot some staples into the ceiling

Then we took the other side of the thin board, and rolled the excess fabric and sat it down on the top of the frame. the reason for the excess is the masking panels for when i watch 2:35 material, however the masking system has yet to be built, in the coming weeks that will be completed but we needed to make sure we had enough fabric. i think essentially we are looking to affix the bottom piece of wood to the fabric, and make some small mounting locations on the side of the screen that we 'click into'. but not fully decided on a system just yet

so the sides were also attached to the ceiling in the same fashion. still need to get some little velcro tabs or something that holds the sides to the screen which is not completed just yet. also need to get the bottoms hemmed and weighted so they can pull tight and sit straight, so it's still a WIP for the masking

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Finished product for now....

Sunday funday is upon us!!!! quad 64.25" screens.....epic

Still plenty to finish up, but the major players are in and working. Had a great time building it, and looking forward to all the stupid little details that still need finishing

Projector cutout with some additional finish, still need to get it painted and sealed, and some additional drywall compounding in the back end. then need to rip down the shelf board with a nice edge finish and get it painted as well. i included a small 4" shelf to bring the projector further into the room for ventilation as well as getting it as close to the screen without being completely in the room for some additional lumens

Attachments

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Looks like the secret to a fast spandex build is bribing someone with the opportunity to use the new laser-level so you can have an extra set of hands to stretch the fabric. :D

That's a nice looking room. Do you have any future plans for darkening the ceiling, or do you prefer it as-is?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the secret to a fast spandex build is bribing someone with the opportunity to use the new laser-level so you can have an extra set of hands to stretch the fabric. :D

That's a nice looking room. Do you have any future plans for darkening the ceiling, or do you prefer it as-is?

Ha, absoultely, i had no idea how long or hard it was going to be and it turned out being one of the easiest parts of the build

and yes, i did not order enough of the velvet for the bottom panel, so i planned on ordering a bunch more and masking off into the room on both the ceiling and side wall. i'm not sure how far i need to come into the room, but i believe the fabric is 48ish" wide, once wrapped around the wood, i should be able to bring it about ~4 feet into the room. how far should i come back? or should i just paint the entire ceiling?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ha, fun write-up!

Does the sub stick out in front of the false wall at all?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Painting is an okay alternative, but using the velvet instead can give an even deeper and less reflective black for the ceiling..if it doesn't cost too much.
Going back 8ft from the screen and painting the rest of the ceiling after 8ft would be the best way to maximize the black-hole effect without buying rows and rows of velvet since 8ft back will cover the most affected area.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, fun write-up!

Does the sub stick out in front of the false wall at all?

Yes, the subs are pretty much just out and about. the studs off the wall are about 10", and the screen is 3", so it's about 13" off the back wall. There is a little white boarder all over the room that i believe contains ?concrete? from my foundation that the heater sits on. thats about 7" off the wall as well. the subs probably sit right beneath the face of the screen so they are a good 12-13" into the room

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did the shelf mount work for you. I am thinking about mounting mine the same i noticed you didn't leave the 11 inches on the side. Are you having any over heating issues? Your feedback would be greatly appreciate your feedback

1 - 11 of 11 Posts