AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm willing to spend $5ooo on (qty2) subwoofers. A dealer has recommending buying the Fathom112 ($2200 each). I'll be using the subs in a HT room 17' x 27'.

The AV123 MFW-15 ($599 Each) looks really nice. Is it worth spending the extra money on the Fathom?

JL Audio Fathom 112 ($2600 BM): 95 points (45-50)

AV123 MFW-15 ($599 ID): 103 points (53-50)

What should I buy? Fatham 112 or MFW-15? or should I look at something else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Between those two, I'd pick the JL if I needed very compact size, piano black finish, or immediate delivery. Eventually those last 2 conditions might be available on the MFW as well, but for right now the diamond finish is not ready nor are there any in-stock subs waiting to ship right away.

Otherwise... (well I do own av123 speakers after all
)

You might want to remove the non-MSRP price from your original post, the mods around here can get picky about that.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
I have one or two options for you. Get four MFW-15 subwoofers with a nice finish. No replacement for displacement. Even if you think that four is overkill and there won't be enough space to position them, still get four. Even if you think it is a bad idea, still get four.

You can then purchase a Velodyne SMS-1 to measure and correct the frequency response within your room. All this will be within your budget and you'll have lots of cash for the latest blockbuster dvds.

Just my 0.0.1 cent.

--Regards,

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think you can get 4 MFW-15 for the same as 1 JL F..112, that would definitely do it for me, no comparison at all for the same money.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/12919027

I have one or two options for you. Get four MFW-15 subwoofers with a nice finish. No replacement for displacement. Even if you think that four is overkill and there won't be enough space to position them, still get four. Even if you think it is a bad idea, still get four.

Do you really think four would be a good idea?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/12919089

Do you really think four would be a good idea?

Hell yeah.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the MLF will do the same thing as the JL and I should have no regrets in the future about passing on the JL.

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
therightstuff, let us play the numbers game.
Dual MFW-15 subwoofers will in no uncertain terms deliver greater clean output at the listening position with less distortion at any playback level.

A single MFW-15 scored identically to a single JL Audio Fathom 13. Now a single MFW-15 should be as close to a Fathom 13 as you are likely to get. I am being modest. If you decide to pull the trigger on four of these subwoofers then you will have headroom and low distortion that few people have.

Imagine that at any given playback level, cone travel will be minimized so that when that dynamic explosion comes along that might tax a single subwoofer at very high volumes, four of these will be coasting without the slightest hint of strain or stress.

Installation of four subwoofers might take time and patience. It might even be difficult. But don't worry, that is why we are here. The bonus on top is that you have the designer posting on this forum to answer your every question.

--Regards,

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
It is not only about output,the JL has ARO to even out any high peak or ip you may have in the room. Very quickly people jump to a conclusion based a score given(loudness) and subjective SQ.

But yes the value cannot be overlooked,duals will give you extra headroom.And in this case very close to 8-9dB extra headroom over a lone f112.

Easy choice.

For HT ported ALWAYS beats sealed. No matter who designs,builds the subs(I take both companies have very competent designers).

For music,sealed may integrate better in most rooms.Again ported you get more output down deep,as today's contenders are tuned at and under 20hz.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
The SMS-1 is far more versatile and has far more filters than the ARO. The ARO only has one parametric filter. What if one needs to cut two or three offending frequencies ?

You can buy four MFW-15's with an SMS-1 parametric EQ and still be well under budget. Or you can buy two with the SMS-1 and then perhaps spend a decent amount on acoustic treatment.

Or you can buy two Epik Towers with the SMS-1. Or not. Lot's of options.

--Regards,

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Get 8x MFW-15s and you won't have to worry about room nodes.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What the heck, buy 15 ea. 12" Dayton Subs; No wait, get 20 ea. 12" Audiosource. Both options less than $5K...Get real guys!

·
Registered
281 Posts
is the size. Output and headroom will be better with multiples but if size is a concern that's your only option. I've heard the MFW-15 and it's great. I own an F113 and it always amazes me how much sound it creates with such a small box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts