AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 734 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st. This will be slow…will be back at work Monday from knee surgery and need mother nature to calm the f..k down a little for me to get some work done.

As usual..Erich packaging is overkill/impeccable.

Everything is super well packed and all pieces are intact.

Received the 4 boxes (2 towers and 1 center kit) yesterday and went to pick them up in the USA, paid $185.00 duty taxes !!! and drove back home (30 minutes away)

Today opened up the boxes so I can start putting the crossover together and have 2 probelms.

1. I received 17 ports so 1 is missing.

2. Opened all 3 crossover parts boxes and no instructions

Are there any instructions that come with these kits?

The plan was to start building the crossovers today but can't.

Erich, can you please send me the instructions on how to mount the Crossovers?

Thanks

Some pictures in the meanwhile

I've been waiting for these to be available ever since I first saw them and am really looking forward to hear them...

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I only have his hand drawn schematic and was going to see if someone could draw it out on the computer. I'll send you the hand drawn one in the mean time. Not sure how one port was missing, can't recall making such a dumb mistake before. Usually when there's a part missing....it's to someone in another country.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24394513

C'mon fat , you were dying to get them and now your building slow

Ya no kidding!!! I'm thinking I should quit my job to get these done...can't wait to retire!!!

Wish I had received them a week ago...I would've had all week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24394514

I only have his hand drawn schematic and was going to see if someone could draw it out on the computer. I'll send you the hand drawn one in the mean time. Not sure how one port was missing, can't recall making such a dumb mistake before. Usually when there's a part missing....it's to someone in another country.

Anything you have right now I'll take...I'd really like to spent some time today and tomorrow getting the xovers done.

Regarding the missing port...My wife and I went through the boxes 2 times to make sure we didn't miss it...I'm so sorry Erich.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24394574

You should have some treble now.

LOL...you have no idea how funny that is

But...I already had...thanks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Working on my cut sheet per cab...

Do these measurements make sense?

2x 12.5"x36.25" Front/Back

2x 13"x36.25" Sides

2x 13"x11" Top/Bottom

2x 13"x11" inside Braces

Tux...is this enough volume for the W's? Should I add more to the depth?

Inside volume would be 13x11.5x11 or 0.95cuft without the woofer.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Those dimensions look good to me. And the volume is good to. I'm working on a photo tutorial. I'll step up my game. Sorry I've been just a busy mess lately. I've bit off more than I can chew with some projects (non-speaker).

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build#post_24394806

Why was this model removed from the diysoundgroup website, I can't find it.

Dan

Price was too low with shipping I believe . It will be back up

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Erich, Thanks for sending the xover drawing...unfortunately it is overwhelming for me.

If someone can help decrypt it for me, I'd appreciate it.

My brain is just not good enough.

I don't even know where you would put the inputs at.

I would think all the negatives can go together but where would you put the positive input at?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1519278/fatshaft-s-tux-1099-build/0_50#post_24394843

This is why I'm letting you be the Guinea pig. I'm waiting for assembled xover.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I feel your pain, Mr. Shaft. It was helpful in my Fusion 10 build to have the Parts Express part numbers right beside the technical symbols. I also had the benefit of a Youtube video which showed how things connected.

My understanding was that part of the "joy" of DIY was figuring out what went where, and each individual could could assemble their own wires, XO board, terminal ends, and wiring that best met their needs. I would have been TEN TIMES ahead in terms of anxiety and parts I needed to find around my town that I could use to complete the XO, if ALL the needed parts would have been included with the kit.

For instance, I used Barrier Terminal Strips which sell at PE for about a buck. I had to buy mine at the local Lowes, and they were $6 each! When I went to buy them, I wasn't even smart enough to know what they were called, and it took a lot of my time to go out to the store to get them. I also had to buy wire, I didn't know what kind to get, solid vs stranded, size, etc etc. It was very frustrating not to have even the first idea of what to buy.

I know DIY is all about keeping costs low, and maybe someone else would have just soldered everything together, but I would have preferred if ALL the needed components were included in a kit, along with A-B-C 1-2-3 written instructions, not just schematics. That way, my first XO might not have come out looking like THIS:

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Red solid wire goes directly to the positive terminal.

Black solid wire goes directly to the negative terminal.

Gold strand speaker wire is positive and goes to positive binding post (or what ever)

Silver stranded speaker wire goes to negative binding post.

Sorry pics are sideways.

Woofer circuit.

Midrange circuit.

Notice the little capacitor across the inductor. Also notice the black is in the normal red place. This isn't wrong, that does go to the negative midrange terminals. Mids are paralleled together.

Tweeter

Sorry this is really as far as I've gotten. I need to annotate them.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Anthony! That's awesome. Only thing is the woofer circuit is backwards. The wire from the binding post goes to the inductor first. Thanks a ton, I can't do that kind of stuff.

I should also note, I'm not using the same looking parts as what comes in the kit, just in case you're wondering fatshaft.

1 - 20 of 734 Posts