AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has come up a couple of billion times by now but...

List your favorite 'Chuck' Bronson flicks:

Here's mine:

1) The Mechanic (1972) In my opinion one of his best and most

under rated. Also, stars Jan Michael Vincent.

2) The Dirty Dozen (1967)

3) The Great Escape (1963)

4) The Battle of the Bulge (1965)

5) The Magnificent Seven (1960)

And of course who could forget...

6) Death Wish (1974) The Original. The subsequent 17 sequels were

a lot like the "Planet of the Apes" series. They got progressively worse the

more they made.

7) Mr. Majestyk (1974)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No hesitation, my all time favorite is "Hard Times" with Bronson, James Colburn, and Jill Ireland. I never get tired of watching it. If you've never seen it you should check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In The West"

Henry Fonda as the bad guy

......and that damned harmonica. Proving the point that what goes around, really goes around.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Once Upon a Time in the West.

That movie is damn near perfection. I love it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Deathwish

I'm a sucker for a great revenge flick.

Bit of trivia....I watched this not too long ago and noticed a very young Jeff Goldblum playing one of the rapist. The guy was built like a broom stick.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's a guilty pleasure, but I like "Telefon" (1977).

Who can resist Donald Pleasence and Lee Remick?

And Sheree North plays a terrorist! ;)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Toasted,

I agree with your choice of The Mechanic. One of my personal favs.

Smithb,

Not sure if I ever saw Hard Times. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

-Steve

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Looking back it is hard to imagine he was such a big star in the 70s. I like Once Upon a Time in the West and The Dirty Dozen best. I remember the date I took to see Hard Times and recall it was probably a mistake to see that film with a date but it was a good movie.

Chris

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Don't forget his small roles in House of Wax and Pat and Mike as Charles Buchinski. Katharine Hepburn beats him up in Pat and Mike in an extremely funny scene.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattepntr
It's a guilty pleasure, but I like "Telefon" (1977).

Who can resist Donald Pleasence and Lee Remick?

And Sheree North plays a terrorist! ;)
I've seen that flick before?? Don't remember it but other then Death Wish (1-23) I don't know much of his other works.

·
Registered
241 Posts
"Telefon" plot summary from imdb-

Nicolai Dalchimski (Pleasence) , a mad KGB agent steals a notebook full of names of "sleeping" undercover KGB agents sent to the U.S. in the 1950's. These agents got their assignments under hypnosis, so they can't remember their missions until they're told a line of a Robert Frost poem. Dalchimski flees to the U.S. and starts phoning these agents who perform sabotage acts against military targets. Since the Soviets can't disclose the crisis to the U.S. government, they send Colonel Borzov (Bronson), a military intelligence officer, to find and eliminate Dalchimsky before his actions trigger a war.

He teams up with CIA agent Lee Remick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Mechanic also is my favorite, actually saw it at a drive in with my parents, here's another favorite of mine, albeit lesser known film of Charles that he played a smaller, but very effective role in, "This Property Condemned " with Robert Redford and a smoking hot Natalie Wood. A great but very dark and depressing film, actually has some pretty risque non-nude parts for a film from that time period. It also has some other stars in it, Piper Laurie, Dabney Coleman, and the little girl from "To Kill a Mockingbird".

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
I rewatched The Mechanic recently and found that it didn't hold up as well as I had expected. Some good ideas in it, but the execution doesn't hold together very well.

This is a movie I think would be a prime candidate for a remake. It was almost shocking how much Jan Michael Vincent looked then like Brad Pitt does now. Cast Pitt and Harvey Keitel, and pair them up with a decent director, and you could really have something.

·
Registered
581 Posts
How about Death Hunt? Cholly Bronson and Lee Marvin in this testosterone fueled manhunt that was probably the last good movie either actor was in. It's was in heavy rotation this summer on Again More Commercials but you can get the dvd for full effect.

I also nominate Death Wish 3. A film this inept and campy cannot be ignored. The closest thing to an out and out comedy that we'll ever see Cholly starring in.

Some trivia: I do'nt know the whole story but Cholly's acting career got started because of his ability to belch at will.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Again More Commercials.....I LOVE THAT.

And you're sig, too!

"One creature, caught. Caught in a place he cannot stir from in the dark.

Alone. Outnumbered hundreds to one. Yet, the entire family can't bring

him down out of that.....that...."

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattepntr
Again More Commercials.....I LOVE THAT.

And you're sig, too!

"One creature, caught. Caught in a place he cannot stir from in the dark.

Alone. Outnumbered hundreds to one. Yet, the entire family can't bring

him down out of that.....that...."
"Honky Paradise brother". "Forget the old ways. All your hatreds, all your pains and remember that the family is one".

I could'nt resist.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.