Registered
272 Posts
Miracle on 34th street...the first one with Natalie Wood as the kid

Christmas Vacation

Scrooged

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life. It doesn't get any better than that...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanielD
It's a Wonderful Life. It doesn't get any better than that...
Except for
A CHRISTMAS STORY

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
One that you probably haven't heard of:

Bill Forsythe's "Comfort and Joy"

Sadly, it's yet another of those favorite films that is not available on DVD. If you liked any of his other films like "Gregory's Girl" or "Local Hero", I think you'll enjoy this one.

"Mr. Bunny. Formerly Mr. Softee. No more."

"Hello Folks!"

(Note: The quotes, like most movie quotes, will only be funny to those who have seen the film. But they will be very funny to them.)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Muppet Christmas Carol, The Santa Clause and Home Alone.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Brazil (hey, there's Christmas in it!!)

OK!!

"Christmas Story", really :D

Fred

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
christmas carol---alastair sim

home alone 1,2

it's a wonderful life

brickie

heck they're all good!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
SCROOGE - The Musical Version

An English musical version released sometime in the seventies with Albert Finney.

Not exactly "high art" but fun...maybe it's just related to memories of seeing it on TV as a child during the holidays.

Wish they would release it on DVD as my older VHS copy doesn't look so great on the projector.

Of course "White Christmas" is always a favorite.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JEFatBWI
SCROOGE - The Musical Version
Ditto on that! It's bad enough they never came out with a widescreen VHS release, but no dvd??? It's not like the movie is out of print, they still sell it on VHS like always. I remember watching this on TV growing up and loving it. It wasn't until I was an adult and bought the VHS that I first saw the "deleted scenes." The entire sequence where he goes to hell was edited out on TV (for time reasons I'm sure) but is on the video. Except for the singing and dancing (which I love, don't get me wrong) I think it's the most faithful and interesting version of Christmas Carol I've seen.:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
"A Christmas Story" certainly captures the mystery and magic of Christmas, as seen through the eyes of one very hopeful boy.

However, the 1964 TV special about Rudolph narrated by Burl Ives, whisks this viewer back in time to my own youthful hopes and dreams swirling around in the exciting awe of Christmas.

Man, almost forty years ago. My life is half over. Hmmm, it will be over if I don't get in there and do the dishes. jdb

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's A Wonderful Life and Xmas Vacation

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Brazil (hey, there's Christmas in it!!)
Even more in the original, longer cut.

But if that counts, I'll mention "City of Lost Children" for the great, twisted Santa Claus scene right at the beginning.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a wonderful life

Miracle on 34th st

White Christmas

Ernest Saves Christmas (a guilty pleasure of mine:D)

An American Christmas Carol (with Henry Winkler)

Scrooge (I have the widescreen ld ;))

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
1) A Christmas Carol, Alistair Sim.

2) Auntie Mame ( a perfect early segue from Thanksgiving to the Christmas season.

3) It's a Wonderful Life

4) Mr. Magoo's Christmas (just thinking about when the servants are selling the items taken from his bedroom after he passes away and they open their big mouths to sing/scream, "La, La, la la la lala. La La," etc. has never failed to make me smile and fondly remember a gentler happier time in my life).

Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year to all. Think I'll go put on a good DVD and start the season right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.